forum

Nintendo - Hope Never Dies

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Murph12
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on donderdag 30 april 2009 at 12:47:48

Artist: Nintendo
Title: Hope Never Dies
Source: Advance Wars
BPM: 96,02
Filesize: 7757kb
Play Time: 02:01
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2,02 stars, 119 notes)
  2. Hard (4,85 stars, 204 notes)
  3. Normal (3,56 stars, 118 notes)
Download: Nintendo - Hope Never Dies
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Beatmap based on the song "Hope Never Dies" from Advance Wars Dark Conflict.

I made 3 difficulties. Comments on the hard difficulty are welcome, as I'm not 100% sure on weither it's too hard or not.
(Comments on the other 2 difficulties are welcome as well.)

23-4-09:
Made changes to all difficulties:
- Solved some spacing issues in the Easy mode
- Removed some of the 1/8 notes in Hard mode. Also removed the spinner intro with a slider.
- Corrected some placement issues in Normal mode.

25-4-09:
Solved some issues pointed out by aquabluu.
Easy - 01:02:653 solved by replacing 2 notes with a slider to prevent confusion by different time spacing.
Hard - 1/8 note clusters removed and replaced by larger 1/4 clusters.
Spacing issues that were pointed out have been solved, some needed redrawing of sliders.

30-4-09:
Solved a few minor problems, as well as the few issues pointed out by aquabluu.
Fixed some "ugly" sliders.
aquabluu
Easy
00:22:504- A little too far. Move a bit closer.
00:31:252- A large jump in spacing. Move 2 grids right.
01:02:653- This sounds weird for an Easy map. Move it a quarter beat earlier.
01:03:747- Move one or two grids further away.
01:21:244- Move two grids left

Normal
00:18:755- Too close, move a few grids away from the previous beat

Hard
00:33:752, 00:34:689- Your BPM is low enough to use 1/8, but I still feel it sounds weird. It's the same for any other 1/8 clusters for the whole song
Topic Starter
Murph12

aquabluu wrote:

Easy
00:22:504- A little too far. Move a bit closer.
00:31:252- A large jump in spacing. Move 2 grids right.
01:02:653- This sounds weird for an Easy map. Move it a quarter beat earlier.
01:03:747- Move one or two grids further away.
01:21:244- Move two grids left

Normal
00:18:755- Too close, move a few grids away from the previous beat

Hard
00:33:752, 00:34:689- Your BPM is low enough to use 1/8, but I still feel it sounds weird. It's the same for any other 1/8 clusters for the whole song
I agree with the 1/8 notes, but I think I used them the wrong way. Any suggestions on this are welcome.
I'll review Easy and Normal difficulties and correct the issues you mentioned, thanks for the tips.

EDIT: I solved the beat spacing issues you pointed out. Also, I removed all but 1 of the 1/8 note clusters in the Hard difficulty, replacing them with 1/4 note clusters.
aquabluu
Hmm, this may just be a cosmetic change, but try using smooth curve sliders on Easy, like at 00:36:252. They'll look a lot better~

And now, a few other small bits left.

Easy
01:52:176- One grid down
02:01:237- One grid up

Normal
All fine

Hard
Fine for me.

Oh, and you might want to try and find a background of Brenner, since this is his theme song after all.
Topic Starter
Murph12

aquabluu wrote:

Hmm, this may just be a cosmetic change, but try using smooth curve sliders on Easy, like at 00:36:252. They'll look a lot better~

And now, a few other small bits left.

Easy

Normal
All fine

Hard
Fine for me.

Oh, and you might want to try and find a background of Brenner, since this is his theme song after all.
I tried the smooth curve slider there, but I haven't been able to get a good slider out of it. I'll give it another try, but I can't promise anything about that.

As for the background, this themesong belongs to Will, not Brenner.
(Here's a youtube link with Brenner's song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgVrXizcp8 )

I'll fix the other issues later this day, as I'm currently at school. Thanks for the tips again :)
aquabluu
But you called it Hope Never Dies. That's the name for Brenner's theme. Will's theme is called We Will Prevail.
Topic Starter
Murph12

aquabluu wrote:

But you called it Hope Never Dies. That's the name for Brenner's theme. Will's theme is called We Will Prevail.
That's caused by the differences between the USA and European version of the game. You're right, in the USA version Brenner's theme is called Hope Never Dies. In the European version, it is called "Indomitable Wolf". Will's theme is called Hope Never Dies in the European version. (In fact, all the names are different too in the European version...)

Maybe a poll would be good about this issue, weither to use either American song titles or European song titles. I don't care too much about it, if people would rather have the song called "We Will Prevail" I'll change it.
Topic Starter
Murph12

aquabluu wrote:

Easy
That would make a rather new issue on its own, I moved the next two notes half a click down to match the distance better.

aquabluu wrote:

Done.

Also fixed some of the sliders to be a bit better looking.

EDIT: I can't work on beatmaps right now, because of a wasp nest right next to my equipment. Extermination might require the use of toxic gasses, which in turn might damage electronic equipment.
Any tips on how to improve the beatmap are still welcome though, as are people who give this beatmap a star.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.