forum

Age Notification in Chat [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
kideddie1501
I dont like the idea of younger kids talking to older players. Im not saying it should be banned, but maybe some sort of system that allowes all players to know whether a person is over 18. People who are over 18 should also not be able to change their age even if they are BATs. Maybe a * next to older player's names in chat or something that would seperate the over aged people and make them easier to spot. :|
mattyu007
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
Uh, what?

Age discrimination? Is that what you're after?

I really don't understand what your point is.
Daru
There are both 13-year-olds who can converse intelligently and 18-year-olds who conduct themselves like complete morons.

Maturity isn't always a function of age; judge who you want to talk to online based on what they say, not what your stereotypes of their age group are.

Besides, there is no real way of enforcing this.
Changing one's age is as simple as changing the birthday in the User Preference page.
Skyripper
Agreed.

If you don't like someone, just ignore them. If a younger player is flaming you, report it.

Age discrimination is silly; as is any form of discrimination.
awp
Age should not exist online. You are either intelligent or you are not. You know what a hymen is, or you do not. Internet, like IRL, is rated 18+ by the ESRB. Let's assume everyone is a mature age. Innocent until proven guilty.

On that note, I would like to auto-ignore every snot-nosed little punk who can't spell I or you're or anything else like that correctly, but I'm afraid that's not an option.
Topic Starter
kideddie1501
its not age discrimination as much as it is a
HEY, HOW OLD ARE YOU? YOU WANNA MEET SOMEWHERE? IM UR AGE. (LIE)
thing
awp
People in osu! do not try to rape each other.
Topic Starter
kideddie1501
yea, and lets keep it that way. its just a suggestion relevant to security, but i can see how it wouldnt really fit in seeing as osu! people dont make friends...its not myspace afterall. :|
awp
hey I've made better friends through osu! than most people have through myspace =x
Topic Starter
kideddie1501
well sure, however i know that a few people in osu! actually know each other in person. imagine people establish that sort of relationship with strangers. i see no point in carrying this on though, i realize where someone would just stop and say " this is getting too personal..im gonna stop talkin to this guy." :P
anonymous_old

kideddie1501 wrote:

well sure, however i know that a few people in osu! actually know each other in person. imagine people establish that sort of relationship with strangers. i see no point in carrying this on though, i realize where someone would just stop and say " this is getting too personal..im gonna stop talkin to this guy." :P
How would age discrimination help with this?

kideddie1501 wrote:

well sure, however i know that a few people in osu! actually know each other in person.
Yeah. I invited some of my IRL friends to play osu!, and they do. I can't talk to them, even if they are in a different age group?

kideddie1501 wrote:

imagine people establish that sort of relationship with strangers.
Isn't this how friendships are developed? O_o

kideddie1501 wrote:

yea, and lets keep it that way. its just a suggestion relevant to security, but i can see how it wouldnt really fit in seeing as osu! people dont make friends...its not myspace afterall. :|
It doesn't have to be MySpace for people to communicate and develop relationships.

/me sighs.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm bashing you, but this is a pretty stupid request. Think things through...
awp
I met Dakeyrus through osu!. We hang out irl now from time to time.
I met CheeseWarlock through osu!. We hang out irl at concerts from time to time.

I'm not against the idea (entirely), but I think the point kideddie is trying to make is moot.

I wouldn't be opposed to !age username being a BBot command...well, if nobody lied about it.
An64fan
I don't like this idea. Why? Because it would be very ineffective, for a number of reasons.

As is pointed out, you can be 10, 12, 13, whatever, and be really reasonable and mature, or 18, 20, and have whiny little fits like a five year old.

As well, a full number tells nothing. There's something in aging called transition. I mean, 17 years and eleven months isn't really that much different as 18 years, but I'd still be considered 17, now, wouldn't I? A system like you've suggested doesn't take any kind of transition into account, nor is there any really effective way to take such transition into account anyways.

Anyways, we've got the staff around for a bunch of reasons anyways. I mean, they're there moderating chat (as well as modding maps, helping new members, making sure no one's having a fit, etc.). If someone's not acting appropriately, a staff member can address the situation easily enough, and it's not that hard to point it out to a staff member if no one's really hanging in chat much at the time.
vytalibus
This is a situation a "technical fix" like this won't do. As many have said, there are a lot of underaged players who are even wiser than the so-called "adults" who act like morons.

It's flawed logic to say that age defines the intellect of a person. Rather, the knowledge of a person's age only brings awkwardness to the supposedly-clean conversation between two "strangers" from the internet.

I dont like the idea of younger kids talking to older players.
/me facepalms.
Atmey
*lean on a cane* You don't like talking to us old farts?
peppy
Seriously, no.