forum

Wizards in Winter - Should it really still be ranked?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YellowerYoshi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
[Youmu]
Sure, just for the fun and challenge
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
James
bats have this old project called "project renewal" but i dont know where it went lolol
running_lemon
I'm a believer in the "all maps should be SSable" philosophy. So yeah I believe it and all other maps that can't be SS'd should be unranked.

Its a shame though, the only problem with that map are the spinners. I like the rest.
K2J
I say we just move on. It's an older map, held to older standards.
Metroid
I'm with K2J, Those maps are on older standards and the removal of lets say over 20 ranked maps due to their older standards may mess up people's scores.

I don't see a technical reason
in unranking.
skratch
it's the best beatmap in Osu! still ranked ;)
Echo
peppy says it can be done (while keeping all the scores, etc.) with a bit of "skills", and hopefully he'll have it done soon (ie. keep reminding him)
ToRMeNToR_84
While we are at it, get rid of this crappy map too.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2701&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Last time I checked, auto can only A this song lol...........Should not even be approved either.
Gabi
no

i think the old maps are somewhat special, even though some of them are not playable. you can look back to how maps have changed from how they used to be. also some of these old maps gives huge score, it would be unfair if you just remove these score or "put them in approved" where they wont count except on the map.

well thats jsut my oppinion
FurukawaPan
It would be a crying shame to lose the scores on Wizards in Winter. Some of the players in the community have obtained impossibly good scores on this map, and it would be highly unfair to them to unrank this.

My opinion on the matter of old maps, is that everyone has gotten a fair crack at them, so why shouldn't new players? So what if they don't meet the latest ranking standards? Also, it has been mentioned that some of these maps have really high attainable scores, but in order to get these scores, you need to be really good and really lucky. Someone who has acheived 16m points on Wizards in Winter (Rolled) has arguably earned those points and deserves for them to count in the ranking.

Finally, mapping standards are a continually evolving beast, based on the opinion of what's *required* of the majority BATs. As it stands, spacing requirements (which were needlessly strict for a short while last year) have become much more relaxed in the newest maps. Spinner requirements appear to be getting stricter, but still no attention is being paid to maps which use 1/4 timing to map music that clearly had a 3/4 or 6/8 signature. Those maps may be deemed "unrankable" if new BATs in the future decide so, but that shouldn't require old maps that failed to meet such a guideline to be deranked.

In short, if the map was rankable at the time then it should remain ranked, in my opinion.
Though honestly a good number of ranked maps, old *and* new, really could use some timing corrections
nomedeusuarionaodisp
It's really fun and one of the best osu! maps I've ever seen, personally, so I vote yes. With the exception of Impossible, all other difficulties seem... passable, at least... though since I haven't played this map in a long time I don't remember how bad is the spinner spam in everything below Impossible.
eee
LuigiHann