forum

Problems with Song Subfolder Organization Recognition [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AceOfArrows
Osu has, since I can remember, supported the ability to organize one's songs into subfolders within the root "Songs" folder.

However, I have discovered that lately, anytime I move a song from the root "Songs" folder to any subfolder, or even songs that I already had in a subfolder to a different subfolder, Osu can apparently no longer find it.

If I downloaded it lately and didn't move it, or if I had downloaded and organized it quite a while back and haven't moved it since then, I can play such files.

However, if I move my recent downloads from the "Songs" folder to any subfolder, or even attempt to move a song that was already in a subfolder to a different subfolder, Osu can't find it anymore, and every time I either:

1) Locate the song on the list and click it or
2) search for a song such that it is the only result,

I get the same result every time: it reloads everything like it should, but even then I can't play it; it just keeps reloading everything no matter how many times I re-click/re-search.

If I move the song back to wherever it originally was (for recently downloaded stuff, the root folder; for stuff I've had organized for a while, its original subfolder), Osu can find and play it again as though nothing ever happened.

I've been using my new Direct account (awesome, by the way!) to download bunches of new songs, and I'd appreciate being able to organize all this new stuff I've got into my category folders.

I took a moment to make sure I'm running the latest version of Osu, and I am, and I haven't messed with any of my options in the longest time either, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.
Topic Starter
AceOfArrows
Posting with an update.

As of the current version of Osu!, the incorrect behavior has changed (though incorrect behavior is still incorrect).

What happens now is, if I download a new song, and don't move it, I can play it fine, of course (which was the case before).

But if I move it now, as opposed to the way it used to happen (see above), now when I select a song I moved, it will reload the song select screen (correct behavior), take me to that song after the reload (still correct behavior), but then will not let me play it and/or select a different difficulty (which is wrong). If I try to click it, it will do another reload, with the same results. (Also, it will no longer play the sample music for that song.)

I have over 3,000 beatmaps, and my Favorites folders are both to the point where utilizing them in Multiplayer takes far too long either, which is why I found folder organization to be so convenient; it allows me to find songs that much faster (and allows me to cater faster to rooms that like a particular artist or songs from a particular show; lots of Miku Hatsune and K-On fans around lately, evidently).

I also can't recall the names of all the individual songs I even remotely like, wheras I might remember which anime it was from or know it's from some other kind of category of song, which is why I like folder organization in Solo.

Please, please, please fix this problem.
poke_old_1
I'm pushing this topic as I am experiencing a different, yet very related behaviour.

I'm organizing my downloaded beatmap packs in appropriate sub folders, so that I can browse by beatmap pack in the "Folder" view. To do that, I extract a beatmap pack in the Songs folder, let osu! load those (by pressing F5 or starting the game), and then move the extracted beatmap sets into a new subfolder. After that I press F5 or restart again to get the new folder layout in the game.

This works fine so far; except for one weird behaviour I have noticed now, that does not match with the described one above:

When I move songs to different folders, it seems that osu! needs to really notice that. When I click on a song, that was moved somewhere else, I get an "Error loading audio for this beatmap...", then I see the folder refresh list again (the one that comes when pressing F5), and osu! switches to the "Show All" list to the exact song that was selected - which is then working fine.

So it seems that osu! needs to be told again that not only the folder structure changed but also the actual location of the songs. But both F5 and a restart don't seem to fix that completely. The interesting thing is just, that as soon as that described error appeared for a song/difficulty, it works completely fine again (until I move it again).
ouranhshc
i'm guessing you have already tried closing osu! and restarting it after moving the maps around?
Derekku
I'm glad that you searched and found this old thread (instead of creating a new one), but you must have missed more recent ones which explain that folder sorting is a bit buggy. This won't be fixed until osz2 (a new file format) comes out.
poke_old_1

ouranhshc wrote:

i'm guessing you have already tried closing osu! and restarting it after moving the maps around?
Yeah, didn't change anything.

Derekku wrote:

I'm glad that you searched and found this old thread (instead of creating a new one), but you must have missed more recent ones which explain that folder sorting is a bit buggy. This won't be fixed until osz2 (a new file format) comes out.
Bleh, sorry. I guess my search terms were not good enough then. But it's good to know that the problem is already known and that there is some solution being worked on. Thank you very much :)