forum

Serj Tankian - Empty Walls

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kitkat_skye
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 1:31:09 AM

Artist: Serj Tankian
Title: Empty Walls
BPM: 160.01
Filesize: 5381kb
Play Time: 03:35
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (3.31 stars, 283 notes)
Download: Serj Tankian - Empty Walls
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hey all! This is my first beatmap--I've messed around in StepMania before, but this looked like more fun :D

So here you go, "Empty Walls" by Serj Tankian. Right now it's only in Normal difficulty (a touch on the hard side), but this is due to the fact that I only have a mouse. I'll be getting a tablet soon, and once that happens I might try making harder difficulties.

Enjoy the beatmap! And I warn you, it starts out kinda slow, but it gets harder ;)

edit: Forgot to mention, there's no video or background. But there are breaks in the song, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to add something...as soon as I learn how.

edit2: Now with better spacing! Delicious.

edit3: Now with a background! Hopefully this should be the final edit.
EiJi
Hello and welcome to the world of Osu! beatmapping!

Very good first map you have here, except some very minor things.

For starters, to me the offset looks good, and a BPM of 160.01 sounds better.

Secondly, and the only real issue in my book is spacing. You did a fairly good job... Every set of notes appear to have its own spacing. Except a few...

One example is note #5 @ 00.17.07. Notes 1-4 have identical spacing, but then note 5 is several grids above, but like notes 1-4, one full beat away. This can be very misleading and make people delay the clicking of note 5.

Please view this image for examples of proper and improper spacing if you have not already done so.

Other than that, and the lack of a background, I'd say you have made a pretty darn good first map. Welcome! If you're like me, mapping will become your next obsession! xD

kitkat_skye wrote:

Forgot to mention, there's no video or background. But there are breaks in the song, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to add something...as soon as I learn how.
For background images, in the editor, go to "design" and select "insert background".

For video, please refer to this thread.
Topic Starter
kitkat_skye
Thanks for the advice! I changed around some areas where the spacing was a little wonky; it should be somewhat better now.

And I think I'll get started on finding a background image now.

Edit: Found a background, reuploading the beatmap now :D
EiJi
Still got some spacing inconsistencies.

Some hate it, some love it. Either way it is the sure way to get things spaced correctly. I am of course talking about 'distance snapping', this will space all notes correctly. Enable it by pressing R or hold alt as you place/move notes. In case you didn't know.

Beginning at 01.02.57: You have several combos of 4 notes. The first two sets (set being 4 notes) are distanced/spaced about 1 grid apart from each other.

The third set, following the exact same beat as the previous two sets now has an even greater distance between each other, making the player believe that the notes are further apart than they really are.

Orange 1 @ 1.08.57 is spaced about 2 grids from the previous note, making the player believe it is a closer beat. If I were playing it, I'd assume it is a half beat instead of a full beat and 50 it. Same for Green 1 @ 1.10.07.

Distance spacing, or beatspacing, can be annoying at first. Hell, I made over 10 maps before I even knew about it... But the whole idea is for anyone playing the song to know relatively well when to actually click the beats without knowing the song.

I personally use ALT when placing all my notes. I sacrifice creativity and ability to create fun patterns, but in return I can make perfectly spaced maps. Play around with it. Whether you use it or not, maybe you could just use it as a reference.

Gawd I make posts too long... Good luck.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.