forum

Pixel - Last Battle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rust45
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, July 03, 2009 at 6:05:11 PM

Artist: Pixel
Title: Last Battle
Source: Cave Story
Tags: Cave story pixel video game
BPM: 189.9
Filesize: 1098kb
Play Time: 00:49
Difficulties Available:
  1. 30 HP (4.71 stars, 119 notes)
  2. 50 HP (2.71 stars, 64 notes)
  3. Minimal Items (5 stars, 155 notes)
Download: Pixel - Last Battle
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first map and I was seeing if you could give me advice, I know it's not that great since I starting mapping today, but just some general tips would help. And thanks to Starrodkirby(sorry if I mispelled that) for getting me the BPM and Offset for the song. I used Pixel's song Last Battle from his game Cave Story. I know I have some weird sliders in there and for some reason the auto mod can't get 100%, it gets 100 on the last dot.

UPDATES: Followed Starrodkirby86's and Xgor's advice. Added a background and hitsounds, it should be a little better this time, but I'm still looking for advice, I'm gonna get started on the next level.
New Level: Added 30 HP, please try it, it's much different then 50HP
Fixed what Starrodkirby suggested and noted. But I didn't use all of his suggestions this time. (Don't worry your still an awesome dude)
Took more or Starrodkirby's suggestions and Derekku Chan's, the end of 30 HP is much better now. And I got rid of the clap and finish abuse the Derekku mentioned. Made some hitsound changes suggested by Xgor
New Level-ish: I uploaded the intro to the Minimal Items to give a preview, just stop after the first spinner because then your at 30 HP
New Level: Minimal Items is complete, and boy is it just like playing Cave Story with Minimal items, try it out, but be warned a prepared after the second spinner, things get fast.
Took some of the suggestions made by, Nexy, Agent Spin Here, and minyeob. And I fixed the huge rhythm dilemma in Minimal Items that Nexy pointed out, for some reason it sounded different at 25% playback, then any other.
Moved to Pending now, should've done it when I updated the map, but it didn't hit me to do it.
Distance Snapped 50 HP as Nexy said that I should, but I only used it in some areas of 30 HP and none in Minimal because it makes them more challenging. Took the suggestions of PandaCath and Starrodkirby.
Followed more of Nexy's advice, and I fix the clutterness in the 1/4 streams(suggested by Nexy)
Took the advice of Gens, stager, and Nexy, only the first 1/4 stream got replaced by the same rhythm used in the same spot in 30 HP, except that it has a higher distance snap and has jumps.
Edits from blissfulyoshi and Shinxyn.
Beat spacing suggestions from blissfulyoshi in IRC.
al2e10 changes.
lukewarmholiday edits.
SFG's suggestions added in.
More SFG's suggestions over IRC
Echo's suggestions added.
Zekira timing and fixed a bad slider Larto noted out.
Starrodkirby86
Ball Os~

[50 HP]:
00:01:87 (3) - Move 1 left on Grid Level 2.
00:03:14 (3) - Move 1 right on Grid Level 3 (?)
00:18:29 (4) - 1 down on Grid Level 2.
00:31:56 (x) - Add beat? You may need to shorten the spinner though.
00:44:19 (5) - Fix bugged slider.
00:46:72 (3) - Fix bugged slider.

I'm impressed for your first map. No really. o_o However, a few things...

The 100-auto sliders are bugged. You ended a slider to where a non-existent anchor point is...or something...There's a topic in the Help place talking more about it.

Get a background and hit more hitsounds. D:

Great work. There's really nothing wrong on the outside. I can't wait for other difficulties.

If you thought this post was helpful, please give kudosu! To give, just click on the 'Award kudosu' link or something similar to it below my contact information on this post.

Star~
Topic Starter
rust45
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Starrodkirby86
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
rust45

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

You can do this for any area of the slider.

Double click on a body part of a slider, like the startpoint, the body, the endpoint, or repeat arrows. If you want to select a specific part, double click on its thing in the timeline. You'll know you selected it if it's red and black (The circle you are choosing).

(no kudosu on this post)
Yeah, I'll get to it tomorrow(being the 2nd), also, for this difficulty, I'm using 1/1?(the default if this is wrong, I don't have osu! fired up right now) time, do you think I should more it to 1/4 for more flexibility or do you think it will for easy?

And I wouldn't give that post kudos anyway because I would only give it to detailed posts that critique the whole map.
Starrodkirby86
Just making sure about the kudos.

You'd rather move it to 1/2...since those are 8ths. If you want to use 1/4s, then that better be for some [Insane] thing. I didn't really get that last statement though...Maybe it's late. Dx

[50 HP] so far looks like a [Normal], so 1/1s work well.
Topic Starter
rust45

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Just making sure about the kudos.

You'd rather move it to 1/2...since those are 8ths. If you want to use 1/4s, then that better be for some [Insane] thing. I didn't really get that last statement though...Maybe it's late. Dx

[50 HP] so far looks like a [Normal], so 1/1s work well.
Yeah ok, thanks I just wanted to see what would work, and I think I meant 1/2 when I said 1/4. And my plan for the difficulties is going to be: [50 HP]: Normal, [30 HP]: Hard [Minimal Items]: Insane(if I can get the skills to make an insane map)
Xgor
Heh i made a beatmap of this beatmap and upladed it just a few days ago.
You can download it here for comparison if you want......... :roll:
Anyway, i tested your version out and i found some flaws.

00:43:562 (3) - Move this circle to 00:43:404 (use 1/2 Snap Divisor)
00:47:983 (4) - That circle is bugged due to that it's actually is a slider, Change it to a circle!

I also messed around with your beatmap and i found some minor things that could be improved but isn't a too much of a problem

00:06:299 (1) - This slider looks kinda strange.....
00:16:404 (1) - Lenghen this slider to 17:036 (it sounds better then)

I also think you should also should make the spinner at longer becuse 00:49:562 longer becuse the song ends before it loops.

Aside from these things it's pretty good , i most say it's very intesting how different our beatmaps are even though it the same song.

I won't give you a star now, but if you fix those problems me and Starrodkirby86 pointed out,add a background and add another difficulity i will. :)
Topic Starter
rust45

Xgor wrote:

Heh i made a beatmap of this beatmap and upladed it just a few days ago.
You can download it here for comparison if you want......... :roll:
Anyway, i tested your version out and i found some flaws.

00:43:562 (3) - Move this circle to 00:43:404 (use 1/2 Snap Divisor)
00:47:983 (4) - That circle is bugged due to that it's actually is a slider, Change it to a circle!

I also messed around with your beatmap and i found some minor things that could be improved but isn't a too much of a problem

00:16:404 (1) - Lenghen this slider to 17:036 (it sounds better then)

I also think you should also should make the spinner at longer becuse 00:49:562 longer becuse the song ends before it loops.

Aside from these things it's pretty good , i most say it's very intesting how different our beatmaps are even though it the same song.

I won't give you a star now, but if you fix those problems me and Starrodkirby86 pointed out,add a background and add another difficulity i will. :)
Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do when I get home, and I'll see how you did your map as well.

XD Yeah, I'm not sure how I pulled that off, I kept it there though because the odd reverse arrow still followed the beat. But I'll fix it.

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

00:46:72 (3) - Fix bugged slider.
I just went into it and I don't see how these are bugged. Could you elaborate?
Starrodkirby86
[50 HP]:
00:34:40 (2) - Fix bugged slider.
00:43:72 (3,4) - Check your rhythm and/or spacing.
00:46:72 (4) - Fix bugged slider.

[30 HP]:
00:02:82 (3,4,5) - Move 1 to the right on Grid Level 2.
00:06:45 (1) - Move 1/2 back. Add 1 repeat?
00:07:56 (2) - Add 1 repeat?
00:10:87 (x) - Add beat?
00:13:24 (4) - Replace this 'slider' with a circle.
00:20:19 (1) - Add one repeat?
00:36:61 (1) - Fix bugged slider.
00:40:24 (x) - Add beat here?

What makes a harder difficulty great is that there's action for nearly the whole song. There shouldn't be much pauses or blank areas unless it's a break. You want the player to just keep going and test their skills. Yeah, just like in the Sacred Grounds. :P (Especially timed)

I think there's too much claps in [30 HP]. It's not as annoying as Finish Spam though, so you're good.

You can definitely make a harder difficulty. Try implementing more 1/2 streams and 'etna sliders' (They're continuous 1/2 slider streams, Running Hell [Insane] has them after the second Ballos spinner around the third quarter of the song).

Also, consider playing the song twice (Like...loop?)?

Keep going~
Topic Starter
rust45
A loop won't work because the mp3 I have only plays through it once. But I'll go in and see what I can do with your suggestions.
Derekku
50 HP
Too many finishes. All I could think about during this song was "cymbals". Try to keep them for "finishes". That's why they're called that! :) But I believe the rule-of-thumb is that they're usually good for spinners, so try putting them on those.

00:11:03 (1) - I really don't like this spinner here. It just doesn't seem to fit.
00:34:40 (2) - I would have this slider repeat once more to fit the melody.
00:48:61 (6) - Perhaps move 1/2 a beat (one red tick) backwards?
00:49:56 (1) - Ends on an awkward note. I think ending it 1 1/2 beats (one white and one red tick) backwards sounds much better.

Also, the distance spacing seems a little awkward and inconsistent. For example, you have 00:13:87 (1) right after the previous slider, but then 00:16:40 (1) is a jump away. Then you have 00:45:45 (1) overlapping the previous slider and 00:45:93 (2,3) very close to each other. I would go through the entire song again and make sure the distance is more equal. :)

30 HP
Now you've moved from finishes to claps. :o Every hit circle does not need a hit sound. Try to keep the sounds for when they're needed. =)

00:11:03 (1) - Again, this spinner feels unnecessary.
00:36:61 (1) - Making this slider end one white tick earlier sounds better to me.
00:46:87 (1) - I would replace this spinner with more notes. Otherwise, the ending feels kind of boring just having a spinner there...
00:49:56 (1) - Again, end one white and one red tick earlier. Don't forget a finish!

This difficulty felt kind of repetitive and not very entertaining. You should try having different patterns instead of repeating the same ones again and again.

Overall, you did a nice job on this song and I believe that you can turn it into a great map with some more work. Good luck!
Topic Starter
rust45
As I've said to others, thanks for the advice, it means a lot to me. I was kinda getting lazy in last part of 30 HP because I wanted to get it finished, but I'll go polish it up. And the clap abuse was mostly from me forgetting to turn off the claps. Finish abuse, I don't quite see where all of them are coming from, but I'll go through and see.
Xgor

Derekku Chan wrote:

Too many finishes. All I could think about during this song was "cymbals". Try to keep them for "finishes". That's why they're called that! :) But I believe the rule-of-thumb is that they're usually good for spinners, so try putting them on those.
What Derekku Chan mean is is that you use the finish sound after almost every combo (and sometimes at other places when it's not needed) when it's better to use it every forth combo (atleast in this beatmap)
Anyway, Those places that's i found that's doesn't need finish sounds is.
00:01:878
00:03:142
00:04:406
00:06:933
00:08:197
00:09:460
00:11:040
00:23:361
00:34:418
00:36:341
00:42:948

But i also found that in 15:779 would be better with finish sounds :P(and no clap)

I think you also should make the spinners at 00:26:836 about as long as the spinner in my Misery difficulty.

But everything else except for the slider at 48:478 seems fine to me however i suck at 30 hp.......
Star 4 you!
(i wonder why your beatmap get more attention that mine...........)
Topic Starter
rust45

Xgor wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

What Derekku Chan mean is is that you use the finish sound after almost every combo (and sometimes at other places when it's not needed) when it's better to use it every forth combo (atleast in this beatmap)
Anyway, Those places that's i found that's doesn't need finish sounds is.
00:01:878
00:03:142
00:04:406
00:06:933
00:08:197
00:09:460
00:11:040
00:23:361
00:34:418
00:36:341
00:42:948

But i also found that in 15:779 would be better with finish sounds :P(and no clap)

I think you also should make the spinners at 00:26:836 about as long as the spinner in my Misery difficulty.

But everything else except for the slider at 48:478 seems fine to me however i suck at 30 hp.......
Star 4 you!
(i wonder why your beatmap get more attention that mine...........)
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I'll see what I can do about it. But for where I should take them out, was that for 50 or 30 HP? And I'm not so sure about the spinner since I have a note right after it. And this may be getting more attention because Starrod posted in it and he's a cool dude, and he gave it a star right away. I posted in yours though and gave it a star, hope it helps.
Mashley
Generally the starts of new combos are really badly spaced. Try to distance them from the end of the previous combo.

r[50 HP]
Fine. A bit ugly, but fine

[30 HP]
00:03:77 (1) - Stack on 00:03:14 (5)?
00:06:30 (1,2,1) - Reverse the hitsounds on these sliders, so the whistle becomes blank and the blank becomes whistle. Sounds better imo
00:08:82 (1) - Reverse new combo
00:26:83 (1) - I don't like this spinner :/
00:39:15 (2,5) - The claps on these sliders don't sound good
00:49:58 (1) - End at 00:55:585 instead?

[Minimal Items]
00:01:24 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2) - I don't like the claps, they sound bad
00:04:40 (1) - Reverse new combo
00:05:19 (4) - New combo
Starting at 00:31:57 this goes mindfuck crazy and I have no idea what to say.

Um, this isn't tooooo bad I guess?
Mashley
minyeob
[Overall]
Seems pretty good. But I think hitsounds are kind of noisy.

[50HP]
25:257(1)-> You can make your slider cleaner by un-locking a grid snap.

[Minimal Items]
25:888(7)-> I think this is too close from (6).
mosluv
50HP:
Go back throughout the whole map using distance snap. There are way too many notes that are not consistent with each other on spacing.

30HP:
00:03:77 (1) - Align on 5 and move the rest accordingly.
00:48:00 (4) - Try to get the aligned with with the fading 1. (Move the start of the 1 over by turning off grid and distance snap)

Minimal Items:
00:31:57 (1) to 00:36:47 (6) - This whole stream just sounds awful. Follow the beat, you just randomly placed hitcircles and sliders.
00:46:73 (5) to 00:49:18 (7) - ^

Again go back and use distance snap on 30HP and Minimal Items. The hitsounds need to be worked on more. They don't sound too good.
Topic Starter
rust45

Nexy wrote:

Minimal Items:
00:31:57 (1) to 00:36:47 (6) - This whole stream just sounds awful. Follow the beat, you just randomly placed hitcircles and sliders.
00:46:73 (5) to 00:49:18 (7) - ^
I suggest you take that into the editor and take it slow, it follows the countermelody there. But maybe I'm thinking of a different part there, I'll go back in and see what I can do. And I know about the hitsounds, I'm not so good with them.

EDIT: The parts you were talking about sounded very well synced at 25%, but when I took it to 50% it wasn't synced any more, does anyone have any idea why? But for now I'm going to fix it.
show more