forum

Console choice

posted
Total Posts

Consider the below situation: which console would you take?

Xbox 360
41.18%
Playstation 3
17.65%
Wii
41.18%
Total votes: 17
Topic Starter
chan
Since my birthday passed recently, my dad offered to purchase me a console! WHOOO!!!!!
Anyways, I'm at a dilemma as which console I should get: Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii

At the moment, I'm tossing up between the Xbox360 and PS3, since they have more attractive titles. I'm considering a PS3 because of exclusive titles such as FFXIII, MGS4 and possibly Tekken6.
I own no consoles at the moment but have played and liked quite a few PS2 titles at my girlfriend's place (Tekken, Final Fantasy, Need For Speed, Metal Gear Solid). She'll probably be getting a PS3 herself since she's a diehard FF fan.

Can anyone give me suggestions/reasons for which would be a good console to get? Please give my circumstances consideration too!
Loginer
I have a Wii60, but I never even touch my 360. Yes, I have a lot of games I'm interested in. Yes, I have access to them. No, there's nothing wrong with the console itself.

Basically, if you live in Europe, and have an old TV that doesn't support 60Hz, then you do NOT want a 360, since all the good games are 60Hz only(Learned that one the hard way. ;_______;"). Probably the same sh*t with the PS3. The Wii, however, now that's a compatible console... :3

But if you don't live in Europe, or if you have a modern TV that actually doesn't suck, I think you should go for the console with the most interesting games. Since you only seem interested in Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Tekken 6, go get a PS3. Dunno much about the PS3 and it's exclusive titles, but as for the other consoles, the Wii offers Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, and two great GameCube ports; Resident Evil 4 and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The 360 offers Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Gears of War, BioShock, Banjo-Kazooie 3, Forza Motorsport 2, Dead or Alive 4 and Splinter Cell: Conviction.

The 360 basically always gets the best versions of all the non-exclusive games, and the PS3 gets a port of the 360-version, while the Wii normally gets a PS2-port with waggle-controls. That is, if the title is available for the Wii at all. <_<
hunnykilla
Ps3 for sure. It may not have many games but in the future there will be the best games for the ps3. Street Fighter 4, MGS 4 and MGS online.Uncharted Drakes fortune is a pretty good game. Unreal tournament if your into fps games. Devil May Cry 4. Rock Band is a great party game, It comes with a microphone, drum set, and guitar. But at 170 us dollars, somthing i cant get. dont even have a job, or not old enough. Tekken 6 is a must get and FF13 and FF13 versus. Lot of good games for the ps3. Wii has Brawl and thats all for me. Xbox 360 never really wanted. Played Halo 3 and it was ok. Ps3 is a good choice.
Loginer
YAY, I haz teh HDTV nao. :3

Nakao wrote:

Ps3 for sure. It may not have many games but in the future there will be the best games for the ps3. Street Fighter 4, MGS 4 and MGS online.Uncharted Drakes fortune is a pretty good game. Unreal tournament if your into fps games. Devil May Cry 4. Rock Band is a great party game, It comes with a microphone, drum set, and guitar. But at 170 us dollars, somthing i cant get. dont even have a job, or not old enough. Tekken 6 is a must get and FF13 and FF13 versus. Lot of good games for the ps3. Wii has Brawl and thats all for me. Xbox 360 never really wanted. Played Halo 3 and it was ok. Ps3 is a good choice.
Street Fighter 4, Rock Band and Unreal Tournament 3 are all on/heading for the 360, too. :/
Saturos
You may want to research what games are actually going to be exclusive to the PS3, as many 3rd party producers are either no longer creating games for the PS3, or are no longer making them exclusive to the system. This is due to a few reasons:
1) blue-ray technology is disappearing fast (much like the beta tapes vs VCR tapes about a decade ago) and is very expensive to produce
2) the hardware the ps3 uses, while is the most powerful of the 3 systems in numbers, actually chimes in worse than all 3 because it's not possible to utilize all of it's power due to a poor design, making it difficult to fine-tune games
3) PS3 is just not selling well in general, due to it's outrageous price tag because of the blue-ray costs. People may not be aware, but even when they first came out for $600 - $700 (depending on the version you got), they still were losing a large chuck of money in the deal because they'd cost roughly $1k per system to produce.

Anyways, the reason I bring all this up is because many of the games that have been mentioned are being ported to the 360 as well as computers in general. So before you drop a ton of money for a sub-par system for the very few exclusive games that are worth getting, do a little research on the particular games you're looking forward to.

Also, just so you know what you're in for with the 360 if you decide on getting one; they're almost garenteed to have the processor die on them after a month or so, resulting in about a $200 repair cost and a couple weeks without your system. So really, the 360 costs about the same as the PS3 if you factor in the nearly garenteed repair cost.

With all that said, getting a Wii is by far the cheapest and safest way to game at the moment, however I don't own a PS3 nor do i play my Wii or 360 very often, and rather sit on my computer all day. ;)

Sorry for the wall of text.
Topic Starter
chan
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I think I'm pretty much set on getting a PS3 now haha. Too bad for non-complete backward compatibility :(

Nakao wrote:

But at 170 us dollars, something i cant get.
PS3 for $170US? Serious? I live in Australia and the exchange rate is pretty decent! $170US is like the best price I've seen!

We might also be getting a plasma TV (cos we totally need one hah), so hopefully I can appreciate the graphics. It's a pity that games are exclusive to Playstation and that I got hooked on those titles playing PS2 at my girlfriend's. I guess there's also the plus of sharing games should we both have PS3s.

And in reply to Saturos, I should probably check out porting hey. MGS on Wii sounds like a pretty interesting idea! But yeah, pricing as well and all the stuff you mentioned.
EiJi
PC > All.
Topic Starter
chan
Depends on your PC :s
Well, my PC is pretty old and I'm amazed it's able to play osu!

And it can be cumbersome to play some games with/against another person on PC, but meh.
Gunzil

chan wrote:

PS3 for $170US? Serious? I live in Australia and the exchange rate is pretty decent! $170US is like the best price I've seen!
No, Rock Band is 170$. The PS3 is $500 USD.
Mysterypea
Stay away from the comdemned to death PS3. That's all i got to say
Topic Starter
chan

Mysterypea wrote:

Why? Please support your opinions with some form of argument!
hunnykilla
Rock Band is 170 ps3 is like 500. Get a ps3 and get tekken then i can play online. MGS online too.
Topic Starter
chan
Need an improved net connection (more quota!!!) first, but something I'm considering irrespective of obtaining a new console. Rock band does sounds pretty fun, and I've also enjoyed Guitar Hero/Guitar Freaks/Percussion Freaks so maybe I can get that and rock out with Peppy haha.
Mysterypea

chan wrote:

Mysterypea wrote:

Why? Please support your opinions with some form of argument!
Well first... It costs so much.
wiicademan
Get a PS3, then sell it, and buy a Wii and some games using the money you got from the PS3.
Topic Starter
chan

wiicademan wrote:

Get a PS3, then sell it, and buy a Wii and some games using the money you got from the PS3.
Er, I'm not that strapped for cash that I want to cheat my dad out of money. Plus it'd be a real hassle. I'd like to add that price is not that much of an issue since my dad will be purchasing it for me, and I think he has some interest in getting a blue-ray dvd player, despite the lack of blue-ray format popularity.
Saturos
Then you're in luck! The PS3 is a pretty cheap, high-quality blue-ray player, atleast when compared to other blue-ray players. Too bad that's about all it's good for.
Topic Starter
chan
I think I'm pretty much set on getting a PS3 now, mostly because of exclusive (apparently) titles like FF, Tekken and MGS. I don't think the Wii will be for me, as I'm not famliar with any of the games except Wii sports. Hopefully I should get by just playing Wii at other people's houses. I guess blue-ray will be a slight plus, but I'm not really enthusiastic about it for now.
LuigiHann
To me, 360 and PS3 both look pretty much the same. Get the one you want.
Loginer

Saturos wrote:

Also, just so you know what you're in for with the 360 if you decide on getting one; they're almost garenteed to have the processor die on them after a month or so, resulting in about a $200 repair cost and a couple weeks without your system. So really, the 360 costs about the same as the PS3 if you factor in the nearly garenteed repair cost.
A month? Guaranteed? LMAO? <_<
Also, if my 360 would get the RROD, I would not send it to Microsoft, but to one of the many modding-stores here in Sweden. Cheaper, faster, and they wouldn't kill me for having iXtreme. :3
Also, you can flash the 360, which = Free games!! >:333
show more