forum

DM DOKURO - sanctuary [OsuMania]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SurfChu85
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 21:50:17

Artist: DM DOKURO
Title: sanctuary
Source: Terraria Calamity Mod
Tags: sunken sea biome The Tale of a Cruel World Original Game Soundtrack OST Video Omar Carlo ln instrumental
BPM: 106
Filesize: 4425kb
Play Time: 02:43
Difficulties Available:
  1. submerged - 7Key (2.73 stars, 842 notes)
Download: DM DOKURO - sanctuary
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
so i was doing a terraria calamity playthrough with some other mania players, and this bg music from one of the biomes really just stuck to me

Dedicated to my friends at the retirement home gang (a.k.a. my terraria playmates):
CoolSkel000, buenoo, AdamAckerville, [Crz]joseee-, Sai_Mnz, GTXCZE, yukina meng

made this chart in an hour, bg is a screenshot from one of my worlds lol

About the Chart
submerged | 2.72*/o!m β-1/o2jam Lv. 20 | HP 8 OD 7.5 - Video game tracks, there's just something about these that makes them interesting to deal with when charting. This one is my first proper video game music chart since charting Ryuusei Aika from Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and the first video game track I charted that is tied to a location since Summer in Kagome, albeit the latter is more of a "special arrangement" of some sorts.
The layering focus I employed on this chart is probably a bit more straightforward and predictable than most of my charts that likes to switch the focus on a certain instrument to another. You'd notice long notes on synths, sustained piano sounds (or some liberal interpretation of them, as you would see). You'd notice regular notes on the percussion layer (I mean, why would you do long notes on a single percussion hit on this track?), and for the first time in a long while for my charting, actually not using LNs for all piano sounds (well, if "rice for some piano sounds" even counts).
The chart essentially has 4 sections reflective of how the music changes. The intro and the outro are essentially the same, even to the note placements themselves (mostly), though you might see that the outro is the intro in the "other way around" (for a lack of a better term). The two sections in between the intro and the outro are quite the contrast. You have the calm section, just some piano, some synth, super straightforward on the hands, aside from some grace notes, which can definitely trip players up (including myself). Then you have the climax section...(?, I don't really know how to call it), where it feels like the pacing of the chart picks up, as the tension in the music also picks up. The long note usage in this section becomes a bit more liberal making it challenging for players who aren't prepared. The music then resolves to the main motif of the track, and transitions to the outro, which is reflected very well by the return to the more straightforward long note usage employed through most of the chart. It's quite satisfying to put it in that way.
Changelog
2021-10-31 | Uploaded set, added HS, updated tags
2021-11-18 | Updated metadata
2021-12-05 | Applied Mods/Initial BN check
2021-12-06 | Applied Mods and minor metadata fix, moved to Pending section | 1st nomination
2022-01-11 | Bubble Popped | Applied BN2 mods
2022-01-21 | QUALIFIED!
2022-01-27 | RANKED!