forum

Smoke mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
sesito71
It came to my mind when I was playing with flashlight mod. The idea is to fill the area around the pointer with smoke, which makes difficult to see the circles, sliders... under it. If you miss a note, the smoke grows. And if you recover health, the smoke goes back to its normal size. The smoke must be translucent so you couldn't see well the notes. Score Multiplier: 1,12x

bye
Starrodkirby86
Only problem I see here...

In Flashlight, as the combo goes higher, the flashlight circle gets smaller, yeah?

If you're playing on this "Smoke mod", then ideally it should get harder as it progresses as well (Though as much I'd hate to say it). You shouldn't make the mod harder for people who struggle with it, as they're not even going to get a high score in the first place when they are. It has to be challenging for the people using it.

I'm neutral on this thugh.
anonymous_old
I'm thinking something more like Flashlight: the better you are doing, the more of an effect the mod has. The 'smoke' scales up with the combo. EDIT: Starrodkirby ninja'd me. D=

Also, I think a multiplier of 1.06x would be more suitable. To me it's about the same as Hidden... In fact, you could perhaps combine it with Hidden without too much loss. Thus I'm kinda skeptical if this would work well in the wild.
Topic Starter
sesito71
hey, you two are right, it's better if it gets harder as the combo grows, not if you miss a note! And 1,06x could be suitable too.
Kitsunemimi
(When I saw smoke I almost thought that there would be a particle system involved, lagging my PC)

This is more of a hidden than it is a flashlight mod. Because you'd be able to perfectly see all the notes you're aiming for and you don't need to memorize the song. Plus, as it is in hidden, the notes get covered which is nearly the same effect as hidden, however you mention a transparency level. So, perhaps it's basically the same as hidden except easier? Yet the smoke might become distracting making it even... But if it's almost the same thing, then what's the point in it?

EDIT: Another thing to contradict myself: But I've noticed that in flashlight, that the whole entire place dimmers dramatically for sliders. Perhaps for sliders in Smoke, we could make it totally opaque making the slider invisible under the smoke?
Gens
Sounds like a good idea, but I have 2 questions:

1. Shouldn't this better fit as a Multiplayer Powerup? If those are ever going to be implemented anyway...
2. Where would it fit? The Difficulty Mods line is already filled up D:
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

Echo wrote:

So like flashlight inverse :P
Yes.

But I'm not sure how sliders would be handled. I would guess make it identical to how sliders are handled in Flashlight now, without the reverse effect.

Smoke + Flashlight ... xD
Echo
I don't think sliders need special handling for smoke.

I think the only reason sliders are like that was because whoever used a skin to implement the flashlight in the first place found that bug with skinning (ie. dimming on slider? not sure) and peppy decided to keep it.
LuigiHann

Echo wrote:

I don't think sliders need special handling for smoke.

I think the only reason sliders are like that was because whoever used a skin to implement the flashlight in the first place found that bug with skinning (ie. dimming on slider? not sure) and peppy decided to keep it.
It wasn't really a bug. It was just a second "effect skin" that he did (using a skinned sliderfollowcircle)
Aoitenshi

Gens wrote:

Perhaps Make a scrolling screen?
mattyu007

Aoitenshi wrote:

Gens wrote:

Perhaps Make a scrolling screen?
Ugly =/
Echo

LuigiHann wrote:

It wasn't really a bug. It was just a second "effect skin" that he did (using a skinned sliderfollowcircle)
My mistake.

Gens wrote:

Bunch them closer together? Who cares? I think we can leave the design issues to peppy. He *does* know how to design a game and he *does* know how to code, you know.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gabi

LuigiHann wrote:

The large number of difficulty mods doesn't say to me "Where will we put a new one?," it says 'Why do we need another one?"
expand game experience? chance of making it more interesting?

i myself am neutral on this though. i dont really FEEL the need for another mod.
LuigiHann
I'm fairly neutral as well, but while I can understand the differences, this seems similar enough to Hidden and Flashlight that I don't think it's a very compelling addition.
Mashley
I don't like the concept of this mod, but I like how it would 'adapt' to the players performance.
I think we could have an 'Adapt' mod that only works when another 'difficulty increase' mod (not counting sudden death) is being used. It makes the effect of the mod more extreme depending on how high the player's combo is. Hard Rock gets smaller clircles, higher overall and a faster drain, Double Time gets faster, Hidden's circles fade out earlier, and Flashlight's flashlight gets smaller. When the combo is broken, all the settings go back to normal for the mods being used. This should add a score increase AFTER the mod increases are added, because it gets harder the more mods are being used. What do you guys think?
anonymous_old

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Double Time gets faster
Variable BPM depending on performance? No.

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Flashlight's flashlight gets smaller
This is already the case.

I don't like your idea, ASH. I can't come up with a convincing argument against Hard Rock being affected other than varying hit circle approach times. Similarly with Hidden.
Derekku

Agent Spin Here wrote:

I don't like the concept of this mod, but I like how it would 'adapt' to the players performance.
I think we could have an 'Adapt' mod that only works when another 'difficulty increase' mod (not counting sudden death) is being used. It makes the effect of the mod more extreme depending on how high the player's combo is. Hard Rock gets smaller clircles, higher overall and a faster drain, Double Time gets faster, Hidden's circles fade out earlier, and Flashlight's flashlight gets smaller. When the combo is broken, all the settings go back to normal for the mods being used. This should add a score increase AFTER the mod increases are added, because it gets harder the more mods are being used. What do you guys think?
Sounds like it would make it too hard. Bye bye high scores w/ mods <_<
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

Sounds like it would make it too hard. Bye bye high scores w/ mods <_<
I think he means an extra mod which causes that effect.
show more