forum

Hide mouse (replay), score sorting, beatmapper ranking

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
rtsmarty
-Ability to hide the mouse in replays. It's nice sometimes but other times it just gets in the way.

-Ability to sort beatmaps by the rank of your top score (SS, S, A, etc.). Sometimes I see that I have quite a few C ranks and want to go rectify some of them, but really have no idea what ones they are. Luckily my beatmap list is fairly short, but for people with loads it'd probably be helpful.

-Make it so that beatmaps can be sorted in order of player ranking on the beatmap listing. Obviously make it so that more votes = higher score (so maps with 1 vote of 10 don't automatically make top).

-Make it so that good beatmap makers have some kind of recognition too. Lots of people play competitively to get recognition and such, so maybe if there was some incentive to make (good) beatmaps it'd make people make more? I'm feeling quite a lack of beatmaps right now :(

Sorry about the vague title but I wasn't sure what to put.
[Edited subject title (chan)]
eyup
Good ideas. Personally I don't see what the point of replays is without the mouse cursor showing, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option there to switch it off. The next two suggestions are good too.

Can you suggest a way to recognize good beatmappers? I totally agree that they deserve recognition - some ideas on how to achieve that would be great from the wider community.
Topic Starter
rtsmarty

eyup wrote:

Good ideas. Personally I don't see what the point of replays is without the mouse cursor showing, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option there to switch it off. The next two suggestions are good too.

Can you suggest a way to recognize good beatmappers? I totally agree that they deserve recognition - some ideas on how to achieve that would be great from the wider community.
I... don't know really. All I can think of is a similar thing to the player ranking, where a vote of 10 to your beatmap adds 10 points to your beatmapper score or something, a vote of 1 adds 1 point, and everytime a beatmap gets ranked it adds 100 points or something. But I don't know... :[ Working by a points system might not work, since there's already the player rating...
Saturos
Since the profiles of players are already linked to what beatmaps they created/uploaded, why not show an average rating across all of their beatmaps in their profile. This would obviously be more effective for the players that create a large amount of beatmaps, but it would give a general idea of their overall work.

Though, I do disagree with having the ingame rating anyway and I don't think it should be what deteremines the average rating. People tend to rank down beatmaps for several reasons, some of which are fair (just poor overall design/feel), and some are unresonable (the player had difficulty with the song, didn't like the song choice, etc). I would much prefer it to be something that stays on the website only, so the players would have to make an effort to rate it they way they feel it should be. That would hopefully turn away some of the negative ratings due to just difficulty and the like.
awp
I don't know how most people operate but if I'm having difficulty with a song I let the editor play the song. The editor is pretty good at revealing poorly-designed sections and if it is a fault of mine I either don't rate it or try to get a feel for it and if it is a poor design, that is when I rate it poorly

though I can't be so optimistic to think everyone is patient and reasonable can I?

But I think if you removed the in-game voting most songs would never get voted on. I've only voted on maybe half a dozen songs on the web because I never remember to.
peppy

Saturos wrote:

Though, I do disagree with having the ingame rating anyway and I don't think it should be what deteremines the average rating. People tend to rank down beatmaps for several reasons, some of which are fair (just poor overall design/feel), and some are unresonable (the player had difficulty with the song, didn't like the song choice, etc). I would much prefer it to be something that stays on the website only, so the players would have to make an effort to rate it they way they feel it should be. That would hopefully turn away some of the negative ratings due to just difficulty and the like.
Woah, lets not make backwards progress now! I'm not sure if you were around before the rating system was integrated, but there were about 4 ratings throughout the whole song list. Noone actually bothers to do that kind of thing it seems, without having it easily accessible.

That said, I think it could be made more of an optional thing in game - maybe have a button you click to bring up the rating panel rather than have it automatically pop-up. When I get back into development, I do want to look at some game interface improvements so this can probably fall into that category.
Topic Starter
rtsmarty

Saturos wrote:

Ah that brings up another point that I forgot about. I'd like a way to change your in game rating. Sometimes I just click a random star regardless of the actual quality of the beatmap, just so that it'll go away. ;/ I'm so impatient. Anyway I'd like to be able to fix those when I eventually want to properly rank the beatmap (Rather than after just beating it the first time).

Also I was thinking of ways for beatmapper recognition, and was wondering if there's a way to have a "favourite beatmapper" field in peoples' profiles? This would automatically update depending on the amount of times you played each map, the ranking you give them, and how many maps from the beatmapper you've played... I'm not sure about the formula that this would use though so I can't help there...
Survivor_old
[quote="rtsmarty"]
Ah that brings up another point that I forgot about. I'd like a way to change your in game rating. Sometimes I just click a random star regardless of the actual quality of the beatmap, just so that it'll go away. ;/ I'm so impatient./quote]

I do the same. The rating goes right on your face, and usually, first time you wanna replay the song to get a better score, so you just click any star and get on with it. I've got two ways that might fix it. You could throw the rank only to people who do good in it (I wouldn't say get a good letter, because there are songs that has D as their best rank. See: Vivid), but at least get to the first rank page or something? I dunno. The other option would be to have the rating in some corner, making it seem optional, not IN YOUR FACE making you feel forced, like it usually does.

Or you could just come up with something yourself. Whatever meets your fancy.
awp
You can choose to not rank something the first time it appears by clicking anywhere that isn't a star.
Topic Starter
rtsmarty

awp wrote:

You can choose to not rank something the first time it appears by clicking anywhere that isn't a star.
Yeah I eventually realised that but by the time I'd realised I'd voted on like 80% of the maps on my list. :/ So I'd still like to be able to go back and change my rating on some of the beatmaps.
awp

rtsmarty wrote:

So I'd still like to be able to go back and change my rating on some of the beatmaps.
I endorse this, as I see ways of submitting votes that you don't agree on, such as if you're screwing around and clicking after a round, or if your mouse jumps and you click the wrong stars, etc.
Survivor_old

awp wrote:

I know that, that's why I never used terms like "you're forced to vote" or "forcing you to vote", only things like "making you feel forced", which is true.