forum

Bump of Chicken - Karma

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Phrygian
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, 24 January 2008 at 09:49:25 PM

Artist: Bump of Chicken
Title: Karma
BPM: 194.25
Filesize: 7890kb
Play Time: 03:20
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (4.56 stars, 317 notes)
Download: Bump of Chicken - Karma
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first attempt at a beatmap... but I think it turned out ok.

For those who don't know, this is the theme song to Tales of the Abyss. The picture in the background was the best picture I could find... It is the Albiore, the airship from the game. It's the only picture that fit the free, upbeat song somewhat.

I might make an easier version if this one looks good. Comments and tips are appreciated, of course.

Edit Edit: I fixed it, and I think I learned the error of my ways... I went from 7 crazy timing sections to one. O_o Where they slowed down, I simply moved beats by 1/8. I've tested it many times, and I think it's much improved now. (Even though noone's commented yet anyway. xD)

Edit Again: I played with the timing again, and I think it's better now...

Even more Edit: Very minor changes... I'm reluctant to work on Insane or Normal variations until I get some confirmation on the timings... For any mods who try to help, I'll sum up my problems like this: I can't get a good BPM that remains constant throughout the song, especially near the end. To help fix this, I moved some beats 1/8, so they're intentionally un-snapped. Please tell me if the BPM is wrong, or if the timing is fine as it is now. Thanks. =D

Still more Editing: I looked over it again, and now that I think about it more, the beatspacing really isn't that bad. This map, to me, is very Ouendan styled in the beat patterns, and if you go play Ouendan, you'll notice that the beatspacing isn't always perfect. I figure that beatspacing shouldn't be exact, or you lose so much of the shape. Rolled, you're probably not going to like the beatspacing at 20 seconds in particular... xD But it's so far apart anyway in time that I think you'll find it's okish.
hunnykilla
Wooooo tales of the abyss. Not bad for your first beatmap. Some parts were good and some were too fast. Bpm should be 97.19. Someone correct me if im off.Good for your first map.
Topic Starter
Phrygian
Thanks for the advice on the bpm, but if I want to retain the structure of my beats, I can just double that from 97.19 to 194.38, right? I started with 194.25.

What about the offset? I admit that was just testing by ear that got me that value. xP

I'll try updating that bpm in a little bit. I must beat Can Can by Eiji first. -_- So close... Last stream....

Edit: I tried the 97.19 and the 194.38, and neither seem to work very well... could I please get some more opinions on the timing? I notice that it starts to go off slightly for two streams at the start, and then a chunk of the end. I was able to fix the two start streams by the 1/8 adjustment, but the ones at the end seem too slightly off. If I can't get the timing fixed throuought, then I guess I'll play with the last chunk with the 1/8ths.
Rolled
Well I'm not very good with BPMs are offsets, but I do know that if your BPM was off you will need to resnap all the notes at their appropriate location. And if it does go off during the end of the song, that does mean the BPM is off by a slight amount :(
Topic Starter
Phrygian
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Rolled
I took a look at it and it's got me kind of stumped. Your first offset looks good and I think 97.15 sounds like a good BPM (194.3 if you prefer the doubled BPM) But I think it is very possible that this song has different timing sections (2:25 sticks out to me). I have not tackled timing sections yet though :( So the only thing I can really suggest is wait until somebody with more experiene strolls into the thread =/ Or maybe a PM.
Topic Starter
Phrygian
It's good to know that I'm not the only one finding the timing odd. =D

I'm gonna experiment with adding a timing section after the slow part where I put a break.

But having a mod's opinion on the timing would be great. xD

Edit: I moved all the beats after that ugly section at 2:15 you mentioned 1/8th, and now it's much better. Not as elegant as a timing section change, but it's quick and painless.
I can S rank it now... That's a good sign as far as timing goes. :D
chan
What is this "Bump of Chicken" I keep reading? Anyway, I'm going to check this out in a few hours time after I play squash and eat dinner. Sorry this wasn't modded earlier.
chan
This looks pretty good, timing seems kinda good, but I wasn't sure for all of it. Maybe use some distance/beat spacing. Other than that, this beatmap is pretty good, and probably could use an easier version. Starred
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.