forum

Bonus for following sliders [Rejected] [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
EiJi
I've noticed while specing that almost everyone doesn't follow short sliders. What I mean is clicking and then positioning yourself in the middle of the slider so you stay within the circle.

I personally don't do that and always follow them (unless they're REALLY short) so I was thinking of adding a tiny (but noticeable) bonus for keeping your cursor on the ball throughout the course of the slider, as opposed to just staying inside the circle.

Although I suggested this for short sliders, with long ones, it will be even better.

Again, a very SMALL bonus. Maybe like 50 points for keeping your cursor on the ball 100% of the slider.

I do see people disagreeing and saying it will give the eyup's and Saturo's even more of an edge, but whatever.
Saturos
I completely agree with this one. I am guilty of sitting in the middle of short sliders on some songs, specifically if it's a song with a constant stream where I don't have time to readjust my hand positioning, so I adjust during the slider...but I do feel there should be a bonus for not cutting corners on sliders. If anything, it would give an additional way for score variance on easier beatmaps instead of spinner bonuses.
eyup
What's worse is short repeating sliders. They were a scourge a month or two ago (not sure about now), and I still hate em. Although the bonus system EiJi suggests is pretty impossible to implement for the really fast ones (of which there are many). Maybe now you understand why many of my maps require very high accuracy - to prevent people from sticking their mouse in the middle of a slider and passing it...

Now that I think about it, the sliders on a few of your maps are like that, EiJi. No idea which ones though, you've got too many.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Hehee~

Wait til you mod my One Two map.

Hehee~
awp
This is kind of difficulty-dependent. A lot of the maps I play on hard require some movement, but most of the time (for zigzags and whatnot) you can get by simply by keeping to the middle. If the sliders are too easy, I think it should be up to the beatmapper to make them more challenging. Maybe we could add a difficulty slider (get it?) on the song setup page that changes how forgiving the slider radius is.

As for the super short repeating sliders...I always thought of them as "Hold" notes, akin to DDR or GH. IS THAT SO WRONG ???
Topic Starter
EiJi
No such thing as a hold note. Not until you have the ability to completely silence a specific note, anyway.
ZZT the Fifth
You know... I've noticed that in Ouendan and EBA, the circle shrinks if you're just a little off the ball...
Survivor_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Cecilthemos
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Survivor_old
I don't. There's already the Easy mod if you have problem with sliders, and I don't like the idea of making them harder for more points.
LuigiHann
Isn't this what slider ticks are for? :|
peppy
My view on this is the if the slider is so short you don't have to move the mouse, that's how the mapper intended it to be. Eiji is the main abuser of this one, actually. It is quite easily avoided by making sliders longer, or by decreasing the circle size. ZZT does bring up an interesting point which possibly needs further investigation, though.
Topic Starter
EiJi
God forbid I make a short slider for both groups of the community. The lazy ones, like Nakao (sorry :P), and bored ones like myself who will follow the ball even though not required.
Survivor_old

peppy wrote:

My view on this is the if the slider is so short you don't have to move the mouse, that's how the mapper intended it to be.
That's what I like to call the Appleseed - Good Luck syndrome. Actually, no I don't. But that song does marvelous use of this... "feature", instead of making you click crazy amount of times.