forum

Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya) - God Knows - VIDEO ADDED

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zyid
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 10:52:52 PM

Artist: Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya)
Title: God Knows
BPM: 150
Filesize: 25159kb
Play Time: 04:02
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (4.23 stars, 314 notes)
  2. Hard (4.48 stars, 422 notes)
Download: Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya) - God Knows
Download: Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya) - God Knows (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hi guys, this is my second beatmap, and the first one that I've timed myself. The song is an insert from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The title is "God Knows" and it's sung by Hirano Aya. I found it addictively catchy, so I couldn't help but make a beatmap for it.

The beatmap has now been updated to include a very awesome video. Many thanks to awp, who singlehandedly downloaded, edited, synched, compressed, and uploaded the concert scene so that I could use it in this beatmap. I encourage everyone to download this latest version so that you can see his incredible work! The file size is now 24mb total, but it's worth it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Download: Haruhi Suzumiya - God knows (Zyid) [Hard].osu
EiJi
Only did Normal mode.

BPM looks good.

Offset would be better at 2,137.

Spacing is more or less okay, except some areas, for example, the slider at 37:93. Spaced as if it were a half beat away like the previous notes, except it's a full beat.

Sliders seem to end at weird times. This is more personal advice, but for example, the slider at 50:79, I would end it at 52:09.

Fix the timing, fix the spacing issues and I'll look at it again.
Gunzil
Coincidentally, I only did Hard mode.

The guitar intro felt really offbeat. Retime the notes to go along with the guitar riff. All the repeating sliders felt slightly offbeat, you might want to shorten them/change the velocity. Most of the stuff following the lyrics was fine. Nice beatmap. Oh, and you ended the map just before that huge guitar solo. I wanted to play it... Couldn't you encorperate that into hard, since it IS supposed to be hard?

Oh, and add the video.
Topic Starter
Zyid

Gunzil wrote:

Coincidentally, I only did Hard mode.

The guitar intro felt really offbeat. Retime the notes to go along with the guitar riff. All the repeating sliders felt slightly offbeat, you might want to shorten them/change the velocity. Most of the stuff following the lyrics was fine. Nice beatmap. Oh, and you ended the map just before that huge guitar solo. I wanted to play it... Couldn't you encorperate that into hard, since it IS supposed to be hard?

Oh, and add the video.
Yeah, Hard Mode is still very much a work-in-progress. Most of it is just Normal Mode that was copy and pasted - it's not quite meant to be played yet, but it automatically gets packaged. I do intend to incorporate the last guitar solo into Hard Mode, but all of that will come after perfecting Normal. I would like to add the video, but lack the raw and the material to extract it.

Eiji wrote:

Only did Normal mode.

BPM looks good.

Offset would be better at 2,137.

Spacing is more or less okay, except some areas, for example, the slider at 37:93. Spaced as if it were a half beat away like the previous notes, except it's a full beat.

Sliders seem to end at weird times. This is more personal advice, but for example, the slider at 50:79, I would end it at 52:09.

Fix the timing, fix the spacing issues and I'll look at it again.
Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly incorporate the suggestions into my next update.
Rolled
Like eiji said about normal, the same error comes up a few times in hard.

19:93 - the 10 and 11 are spaced as if a half beat apart, but they are a full beat
43:73 - The 6 and the 7, same problem
1:16:73 - rather minor, but the blue slider could be spaced a bit further from the previous combo
2:04:13 - the 7 should be spaced further from the 6, but that is rather minor and can probably be overlooked.
2:23:13 - 7 and the 8, too close.

That's all I found.

p.s. - the ending is awesome. Starred.
Topic Starter
Zyid
Thanks for catching those, you were completely right.

19:93 - the 10 and 11 are spaced as if a half beat apart, but they are a full beat
Fixed.
43:73 - The 6 and the 7, same problem
Fixed.
1:16:73 - rather minor, but the blue slider could be spaced a bit further from the previous combo
I think that enough time elapses between them that the player won't be confused.
2:04:13 - the 7 should be spaced further from the 6, but that is rather minor and can probably be overlooked.
I do believe that there is enough space between them to again avoid confusion.
2:23:13 - 7 and the 8, too close.
Fixed.

Now waiting on another mod to give their blessing.
Kharl
Great song and good timing. I've made some changes regarding beat timing and spacing to your map. Check the attached files and see if you approve of them or not.
Download: Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya) - God Knows (Zyid) [Normal-edited].osu
Download: Hirano Aya (Haruhi Suzumiya) - God Knows (Zyid) [Hard-edited].osu

A bit of suggestion for your next map: Try adding more variation to the beat placement pattern. More addition of curves and diagonal lines will make you map more interesting.

Topic Starter
Zyid

Kharl wrote:

Great song and good timing. I've made some changes regarding beat timing and spacing to your map. Check the attached files and see if you approve of them or not.

A bit of suggestion for your next map: Try adding more variation to the beat placement pattern. More addition of curves and diagonal lines will make you map more interesting.
After looking at it on .25 speed I think you are actually correct. I hadn't anticipated having to go to 1/4, but it does fit better. Thank you very much, I like the changes.

As for my next map - you pretty much read my mind. I promise you that that one is going to have a ton of variation, I definitely want to do things differently with each map.

Going to wait for another approval before ranking.
Rolled
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Zyid

Rolled wrote:

Well before any ranking goes on, you're going to have to delete your second normal map. Delete it from your folder, then force upload. Should be fixed.
Right you are, thanks for noticing that. I thought I'd cleared both Normal and Hard, guess I missed one.

Could you take a look at the latest version, Rolled, and see if it's rankable yet?
awp
I would recommend you revise the Guitar Solo at the start. Some things feel out of place, especially the repeat sliders.

Also, the background would be better suited as Black instead of Blue...Blue cutscene bars are just...what? That, or resize the image and crop the sides so it fills the screen.

The slider at 3:01:33...make it just a regular hitcircle? The tail hitting sound is out of place in the song. I tried it with a hitcircle and if you ask me, it sounds better that way. (And it happens again at 3:58:93).

Watch the beat-spacing where the combo comes in at 4:19:53/ You might want to pull it off of the slider, as it presents an inconsistancy as it is. The combo that starts at 4:21:33 does this the way it should be done.

Apart from that, it's great. Whenever I can simply list the iffy things about a map, you know it's practically ready for ranking. Just a wee bit of last-second polishing.

tbqh this song feels complete without any other difficulties, but that might just be me =|
Topic Starter
Zyid

awp wrote:

I would recommend you revise the Guitar Solo at the start. Some things feel out of place, especially the repeat sliders.

Also, the background would be better suited as Black instead of Blue...Blue cutscene bars are just...what? That, or resize the image and crop the sides so it fills the screen.

The slider at 3:01:33...make it just a regular hitcircle? The tail hitting sound is out of place in the song. I tried it with a hitcircle and if you ask me, it sounds better that way. (And it happens again at 3:58:93).

Watch the beat-spacing where the combo comes in at 4:19:53/ You might want to pull it off of the slider, as it presents an inconsistancy as it is. The combo that starts at 4:21:33 does this the way it should be done.

Apart from that, it's great. Whenever I can simply list the iffy things about a map, you know it's practically ready for ranking. Just a wee bit of last-second polishing.

tbqh this song feels complete without any other difficulties, but that might just be me =|
A very extensive critique, thank you very much. The slider thing is up to opinion, but I thought you had a point so I just rolled with it and changed it. You were right about 4:19:53 - that was a mistake, and it has been rectified.

I think it's about as good as it's going to get now.
Rolled
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
One last thing.

Did you accidentally miss a note at 3:51:13? Check that out, please...it looks like you deviated from the pattern just that once and it was probably unintentional.
Topic Starter
Zyid

awp wrote:

Did you accidentally miss a note at 3:51:13?
So I did. Fixed, thanks for noticing.
awp
Then I say it's ranked.

Hard mode is ranked in my eyes, at least. I can't remember whether I did a final of Normal or not so I'll have to run over that after work if nobody ranks it by then.
Rolled
Consider yourself ranked, my friend.
Phrygian
Ummm, where'd the background go? =O

Oh, and personally, I REALLY liked the opening guitar bit as it originally was... oh well. It's still good though.
Topic Starter
Zyid

Moogle wrote:

Ummm, where'd the background go? =O
I replaced it with a new one right before it got ranked.

Does it not show up or something?
Phrygian
Oh, I just had to redownload the map. It's back now.
show more