forum

Your mouse needs love

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EiJi
I'm always messing around with my mouse surface. I find most mouse pads to be crap. So I go with a home-made approach.

My latest creation: SILK!

Piece of cardboard, topped with two layers of silk. Works beautifully.

I have a dual optical mouse, I dunno how this would work with laser mice.

My mouse slides so smoothly it's almost amazing. But what it even more surprising is how it responds.

So if you're like me and haven't tried this, give it a try.

awp
I am using a mousepad I swiped from my parents house from when we got our 386 Windows 95 over a decade ago. It works quite well, apart from the permanent discolouration, and the coffee spill stain on the one side. Mousepads that you get when you order computers (at least from Dell) these days are dogshit.
Starrodkirby86
Oh, don't tell me this is the creation you talked about back in chat?

It looks better and now I understand what it seems to look like. Interesting. I feel it is similar to mine, but I doubt that, since this mouse pad is pretty interesting.
eyup
Get a laser mouse and play on any darn surface you want (except glass tables!).
Loginer
I'm using an EA Games-pad I got for free on a Sci-Fi-convention. It's kinda ugly, but it's good enough.
Survivor_old
I got a pad with a conversion table so I can know how many inches a beat is from another without needing to get an inch ruler. It's also pretty... "slippery" I think is the word. So I usually spin pretty good on it.
chan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
I saw the mouse-sliding-off-the-desk issue addressed in the mouse driver for the Sun Solaris UNIX operating system - cursor movement is based not only on mouse movement but speed as well, so you can still effectively reach all four corners of your desktop with limited mouse-moving space. I wonder if there's a tool for Windows that can do that. It feels weird to me but once you get used to it, it's probably better than the conventional way to operate a mouse.
wiicademan

awp wrote:

I saw the mouse-sliding-off-the-desk issue addressed in the mouse driver for the Sun Solaris UNIX operating system - cursor movement is based not only on mouse movement but speed as well, so you can still effectively reach all four corners of your desktop with limited mouse-moving space. I wonder if there's a tool for Windows that can do that. It feels weird to me but once you get used to it, it's probably better than the conventional way to operate a mouse.
Doesn't Windows automatically do that for you? It does for me. I didn't install any special software, but if I move my mouse at a fast speed a short distance, the pointer will travel farther than if I moved it the same distance at a slower speed. I thought that was the conventional way to operate a mouse.

I feel sorry for whoever here has a ball mouse. I'm using a laser mouse and I don't have a mousepad but the mouse is still very, very accurate.

In Windows(or at least in Vista), you can go into the settings under mouse and choose the checkbox that says "enhance pointer accuracy" if for some reason it was disabled. When I uncheck that box, the mouse movement will be based only on distance, and it feels very awkward to me.

I'm confused.
awp
I have never seen a mouse do that before until last week @_@
wiicademan
That's weird. I've never seen a mouse not do that. Every mouse that I've ever used in my life works that way.

I don't know why the way I use a mouse is so different than the way everyone else here seems to do it.

Maybe the standard is different between different parts of the world?
chan
I'm now using the cork backing of a place mat as a mousepad. It's pretty consistent but a bit small for my mouse :(
phill_old
I have a foamrubber + plastic top mouse pad from a drug company selling a PPI called somac. It's made so that you can put a photo inside it so there is a picture of me age 4 on my electric trike thing with our first dog. :)
Loginer

wiicademan wrote:

awp wrote:

I didn't install any special software, but if I move my mouse at a fast speed a short distance, the pointer will travel farther than if I moved it the same distance at a slower speed. I thought that was the conventional way to operate a mouse.
Same here.
awp
I forgot to post earlier that yeah it turns out windows does the acceleration thing as well it's just not customizable and much less apparent than on Solaris @_@