forum

Internet/Wireless help needed.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Before you ask, yes, our router's firmware is up to date. Anyways, I've had a problem with the internet up here recently.

See, downstairs, it's a steady 160 kps download speed, 1.32 mps speedtest. We have a wireless router, though. Before, it was a steady 160 kps up here, too, unless someone was downloading crap. Also, we have DSL, if that helps.

However, recently, it's only been 80 kps. Well, about 98 kps after I upgraded the router's firmware.

The main issue is that it's unstable. I don't know why it suddenly decided to do that. I think it started happening after our internet was down for a while, but we didn't change anything on our router. My internet is also slower up here than it's supposed to be.

I have no idea what's wrong. Our router's over 5 years old, though, so is the network adapter. Could that be it? Because the internet only has trouble up here. It was stable for, oh... the night after I upgraded the firmware (but still slow). Then it went back to its unstable and slow ways the next morning.

Any advice on what could possibly be wrong? Since it's no fun having lag spikes and such in online games. :X Could our router and/or adapter be dying? Would getting new ones possibly fix it? Or is it something else? Linksys WRT54G Version 2 is our router, BTW.

EDIT: And all I got from google was to upgrade our firmware. Which is why I upgraded it. XP The networking books lying around don't help either.
Pokebis
Talk to your ISP about it.
awp
if it has only been going on for a little while (say, less than a month) then yeah talk to ISP
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Pokebis wrote:

Talk to your ISP about it.
What could our ISP do, though?

The internet connection itself is perfect and stable, both when connected directly, and downstairs, where it goes through the router and back to the computer. It's only upstairs, where we have a wireless signal, when it has issues. I mean, it still connects (posting on it right now), but it's slow, crappy, and unstable (lag spikes during online games FTL). Only been going on for a few weeks, but it seems to me more like an issue with the router, adapter, and signal. After all, the connection itself is fine, so there's not much the ISP could do, I think.

I think it'd be more productive talking to Linksys's support team, wouldn't it?