forum

Nintendo DS suport?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
will there be a DS port for nintendo ds homebrew? i would really like to play this on my ds. sence i dont have a tablet pc...

here is the wiki entry for ds homebrew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew

i use a R4DS for all my homebrew and my prized games are osu tattake ouendan 1 and 2 (yes i have a flash card and still buy games >.> i love them)
Darushi_old
It may be possible, but there would have to be a very competent DS programmer who could make a DS version of this program, or just a DS application that could play .osu files.

Maybe, but don't expect it anytime soon. I don't have a tablet either, but I can play most songs just fine.
Kylecito
oh come on, its really easy
just install directx and a nice graphic card on your ds
peppy
There have been a few interested in using my file format towards making a DS version of osu! which can share beatmaps. Unfortunately my time is limited and I haven't been able to follow these request. I'm sure if they keep badgering me, I will help out a bit. Personally though, I have no plans of learning about DS development :). My hands are full already!

Edit: echo49 has shown interest in having a shot at this one. Wish him luck!
LuigiHann
I just have to say, I hope somebody accomplishes this. If done accurately, it'd probably be one of the best DS homebrews ever.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
The only thing I have against the idea of making a DS Homebrew of this is that I don't own a DS. ;_;
Ivalset

hitoshirenu wrote:

The only thing I have against the idea of making a DS Homebrew of this is that I don't own a DS. ;_;
I guess you can't pirate a DS, eh?
Hitoshirenu Shourai

Ivalset wrote:

I guess you can't pirate a DS, eh?
I wish. I've thought about stealing one countless times, but I'm too slow and lazy to pull that sort of thing off. And also, DS Emulation still isn't that great, so trying that would be kinda pointless.
LuigiHann
I'd kinda recommend buying one... especially if you, you know, like Ouendan-type games. Might be a worthwhile purchase.
[deleted user]
Don't know whether you guys knew or not, but there are currently one or two ouendan-homebrew games currently being developed.The last beta to be released by one of these developers was interesting but was a long long way away from anything Osu! offers.

I guess this post was made to tell you guys wanting a DS homebrew of Ouendan-like beat games to sit tight, and that such programs are being made. But also, if Peppy(or anyone else involved in Osu! production) were to show interest in other people's simulators perhaps something could come from it.

This is just me being hopeful, but I figuired the combined knowledge between these developers could lead to a NDS variation, or even compatability with the original Osu! program. I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of such DS development, and a little collaboration with these kind of people might lead to great things.

There is probably a similar topic to this somewhere else on the forum but as I said, this is just my personal thoughts on the subject, as I want an NDS ouendan homebrew as much as the next person.

Can't really offer anything myself though :|
peppy
I have already shown interest in seeing a NDS version with osu beatmap support, at very least. Just waiting for someone with the skills and dedication to make this happen, I guess. I'm not actively looking to help people - I don't have the time or motivation to do that. If you read my other posts, you will see that I am happy to provide specs for the osu file format/gameplay mechanics on request.
GuardianHX
@Peppy

GBAtemp has a section where people can port programs/games over to the Nintendo DS so long as the owner gives an open source for them to work on.

GBAemp forums Should have a spot you could post about wanting someone to port Osu! Over to the DS.
That would probably be here. In the DS rom hacking and translations section.
I've seen a few request threads for ports, and at one point, somewhere on the forum, there was a topic where this guy was going crazy by taking requests for porting a crapload of games to the DS, and did an ok job at it, too. (Although most of the games seemed pretty old...)
Detective Tuesday
You know, a DS port would surely be the greatest thing to happen to rhythm games since StepMania.

Just a little way of expressing my support in this matter.
GSR_old
The way I see it there are a lot of obstacles standing between Osu! as it is and a DS port - the most basic being the simple fact that it's not done yet. Why port something still being worked on? Then there's the problems of getting, say, a version of edit mode working on the DS (it would likely need to be dropped) as well as the problems of getting it to play media files (also probably needing to be dropped.)

Also, touchscreen homebrew tends to be a little inaccurate, which could obviously be... problematic.

I had more, but I forgot a lot of it. =/
peppy
If someone made a port, there would be no reason to port the editor. In fact, I would *strongly* advise against it as it contains over 80% of the game code, and would be pretty hard to use on a DS screen (with no menu and few shortcut keys. The gameplay would be what gets ported. But you're right about saying byebye to video and other goodies.
Gilrad
As I have said in other DS homebrew forums (including GBAtemp, iirc), having a standardized file format AND an editor makes the prospects of a custom ouenand game much more reasonable. It's just a matter of finding somebody who's not too busy doing other projects.
Echo
I'm working on one, but I have exams at the moment. I've told peppy I'd have a working copy by early December.
awp
I had actually given some thought into making an Ouendan engine on DS before discovering osu!, but threading and figuring out an easy way to handle sliders kind of put me off from the idea. I'm glad Echo's stepped up to the challenge because I'm already busy with five projects of my own (excluding osu! beatmapping). I'm unable to keep my focus on just one project at a time because I'm an idiot.
Echo
but threading and figuring out an easy way to handle sliders kind of put me off from the idea
Same here. I still have no idea how I'm going to make the sliders. Maybe I'll have to use the 3D engine to draw them after all, which means learning OpenGL :(
awp

Echo49 wrote:

but threading and figuring out an easy way to handle sliders kind of put me off from the idea
Same here. I still have no idea how I'm going to make the sliders. Maybe I'll have to use the 3D engine to draw them after all, which means learning OpenGL :(
I have an idea, but it involves dynamic allocation and calculus. Those are both icky-sounding.
show more