forum

Yoko Shimomura - Tension Rising

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, 12 July 2008 at 10:10:30 PM

Artist: Yoko Shimomura
Title: Tension Rising
BPM: 140
Filesize: 3115kb
Play Time: 01:29
Difficulties Available:
  1. Low Tension (Easy) (2.56 stars, 104 notes)
  2. Tension Rising (Normal) (3.17 stars, 108 notes)
  3. High Tension (Hard) (4.22 stars, 164 notes)
Download: Yoko Shimomura - Tension Rising
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Tension Rising from Kingdom Hearts 2
That's About It...

THANKYOU :
awp for so much help!!!
rolled for fixing some timing/sliders
James with more help
chan for some other stuff
Sinistro as well! with everything
and, peppy.
and kasada (not a mod, lol)

6 mods!~omg
Bubbled 3 times!!!~ even more omg!
Aegis_old
It's confusing... What's up with the 4?
Rolled
The end is just wayyy too chaotic. It is a cluster of notes and I do not see any obvious pattern.

The BPM also seems a bit off but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a tenth of a beat slow? Not sure.
awp
It is a bit off. A tiny bit off. Slow by 0.10.

So, you should use 139.85

I didn't find the cluster of notes to be too hectic, but this is because, once again, huge KH nerd, know the song very well, and the trumpet pattern's pretty easy to time. The notes are all over the place, however.

While you've got a pretty good sense of timing, the beatmap and the song don't seem to fit together that well at all near the middle.

The Bell sliders at 10:69 are very appropriate for the song, so I'd say leave those in.

The pattern sounds good at 24:42, but avoide using sliders that overlap one another. In addition to this, you're missing a note each time around. There are five hit sounds, but six notes to the music. Whether this was part of your design or not, that's really your call.

Starting at 45:01 I get the feeling again that the notes are only timed to the song, and not really a part of it. Especially when things like the one-repeat slider at 55:31 are thrown in. Keep it a double-repeat of the same timing.

The stream of notes at the end pulls too many U-turns (eg: 1:12:90). It should flow more smoothly - just imagine a snake trying to connect the dots or something, and see if it has to come to a complete halt to turn around. Imaginary Snake should not intersect itself whenever possible.

The stream of notes leading into the Heart slider at the end is a good idea, but two things:

1 - Slider should start at 1:27:34.
2 - The stream of notes should end up finding its way to the heart. As it is now, it reaches the point where the heart starts, and then it veers off, so you have to jump over to the heart. Normally this isn't all that big of a deal, but since the song is fading out, it should really move more fluidly.
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
This is going to be a big update post so here goes!

Thanks for trying this out!

I'm using 139.87 as the BPM for reasons i cant remember, i think 139.85 was just a tiny bit off(Which means 139.75 woulda been more off!).

Though I changed the middle arrangedment, I wasn't really sure what you meant.

My cluster finale is now even more organised, with it leading into the heart.

At around 24 seconds, i changed the sliders. The slider going away from the center dosen't over lap the one coming back to the center and now has an extra note (Six, not five). I changed the slider with only one return as opposed to the ones with 2 before and after it.

The heart starts almost on the time you mentioned but not exactly.

I tried to fix it all so try it again and post if there's anything wrong (Including the middle, again , I just need more specific answers, sorry, It's just I didn't know exactly what you meant).

That's about it I think...
awp
As a Normal beatmap, I'd say it's done well enough for ranking.

However, it's supposed to represent a state of chaos (or tension as the title suggests). Ergo, we need a Hard or Insane mode that is more involving. Are you up for it?
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
HARD version added.... not sure if it's that much harder... i can obviously change it later so try it out!
awp
Hard is reasonably decent, but the beat spacing is misleading in a few sections (39:86 especially). The Keyblade slider is cool, but it's followed immediately by such a lacklustre slider - perhaps the one after the keyblade could be the Kingdom Key's chain; the Mickey Mouse head.

Also, it feels like more could have been done in the middle instead of basically regurgitating normal. That tension just doesn't feel like it's rising for me.

I am tempted to make an Insane difficulty for this beatmap...unless you have any objections?
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
wait... i'm gonna start hard all over again...
if this fails, then maybe you can try ok?
how would that work...would we both get credit?
i can't until the weekend anyway so just hang on...
awp

hadoken_zero wrote:

wait... i'm gonna start hard all over again...
Hmm...that's a bit extreme, but whatever floats your boat.

hadoken_zero wrote:

if this fails, then maybe you can try ok?
how would that work...would we both get credit?
I'm not particularly hellbent on getting credit so long as people are pleased with the results, so for simplicity's sake I'll just save it under your name and submit it for your approval, and if you're happy with it, just note when you upload it in the original post the author(s) of difficulties you did not make.
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
This will have to wait until next weekend or after, didnt have enough time this week..
I WILL get around to it as soon as possible but between school, homework, shopping, family events it will have to bee in the next.....3 weeks? or something like that.

You could get started and then we'll compare/add both/whatever when i put on mine.

Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
MAJOR CHANGE!!!!
sort of...

Old hard is now easier and is called Low Tension.
Normal is now named Tension Rising
New Hard is High Tension (This leaves MAX TENSION!!! for an insane)

Note: Hard has 1 slider, i didn't feel it needed any but check it and see what you think.
So...Try it now!
awp
shit sorry I took a while to get on this - I actually played these maps a few times earlier today but did not comment!!!

Normal: The three bell-shaped sliders should connect. If you'll notice, the end-point of slider 1 doesn't hover directly overtop the start-point of slider two - same goes for 2 and 3 - and it'll look cleaner to have them all connected.

ALL of your stream notes at the end of the song (starting at 1:07) are an eighth beat early. Just highlight them all (except for the slider) and shift em 1/8 to the right. I don't quite understand the reason for the offset, but whatever. It's timed this way, so I don't really care.

It's all good apart from those two quick fixes.

Easy: The Heart-shaped slider's a beat too long, perhaps? It works, but it doesn't end with the music.
34:71 - your sliders have all been pretty cool and for the most part themed until this point. The timing of the sliders following this point are fine, but perhaps you could reshape them to go with the beatmap a little more (that is, give them a more Kingdom-Hearts feel).

Hard: Break that first 25-note combo up into three or so combos. In fact, shortly after you have a 21 hit combo. Try not to go over 10 or 12 if you can. Run through from 1:05:00 again - there's an issue after you no doubt "resnap all notes"d - some beats are on quarter notes where they shouldn't be. Beat-spacing also becomes slightly misleading in a few places from there (1:18:89...okay maybe that's the only spot.) And the ending is kind of...anti-climatic? It just seems to end with a whimper, that's all.

Also, the drain rate and difficulty sliders are a bit too high for a "Hard" beatmap. I died with a 48x combo at the beginning ={

btw - Great use of sound effects. Very nice.
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
tryied to fix as much as possible

NORMAL:Bell compromise

Easy: hard to shape....only actually played the games about 3 times....

HARD: Drain rate, etc. Try now
James
Normal:
00:24:44 seems confusing? I doubt any newbies who played the map for the first time would get all of those. Especially some of the notes are overlapping the sliders?

And fix the spacing of 01:07:33.. like 3 and 4 should be closer since they have a 1/2 beat gap.
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
Normal:
00:24:44 seems confusing? I doubt any newbies who played the map for the first time would get all of those. Especially some of the notes are overlapping the sliders?
Is it really that bad? i dunno...

And fix the spacing of 01:07:33.. like 3 and 4 should be closer since they have a 1/2 beat gap.
The distance snap put them there...anywhere else seems too close...

if theres a good reason, ill do both of these things again but i cant see
James

hadoken_zero wrote:

Normal:
Is it really that bad? i dunno...
Its because you made the song silly :)

The distance snap put them there...anywhere else seems too close...

if theres a good reason, ill do both of these things again but i cant see
Its impossible that Mr. D (distance snap) would place 1/2 and 1/1 notes at the same distance at the same value you know.
Topic Starter
hadoken_zero
ok then, shall try to fix it again! :)
soon though...
awp
yay it's not dead
James
thanks to me? :P
show more