forum

make [Add inherited timing section] as default [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
DaRRi
RT
LuigiHann
I agree. When you're adding new timing sections directly from the Compose window's timeline, 99% of the time you're shooting for an inherited section. New sections added from within the Timing window should still be non-inherited by default.
peppy
(+) [peppy] Added editor menu option for adding an inheriting timing section. This is the default for Ctrl-P.
LuigiHann
I suppose the other thing to consider would be to have it jump to the timing setup window when you add a section
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Derekku
Jumping to the setup window like LH said would make the most sense.
awp
I think there's a key for that already; F2 (something like that?) in the editor jumps to the Timing Setup Panel. A hotkey for add Inherited + hotkey is fine and all, so long as it isn't removing what I consider to be the more useful feature of creating a timing section which does not require opening any new windows. Ctrl+Shift+P it if you want; it's fine with me, I just don't like having one of my favourite mod-related hotkeys being removed ;___;
Derekku
F3 for Timing, but that only brings up the little panel with BPM/Offset/Slider Velocity/Tick Rate. I meant like... bring up the Timing Setup panel from that AND automatically go to the Audio panel. Since inherited sections are used for audio changes/custom samplesets/etc, it would only make sense to automatically go to the audio panel when using the hotkey.
awp
It's F6.
LuigiHann
Now that I think about it, it's good to be able to place two inheriting sections without the window popping up (to start and end a section)
mm201
1. Select a group of notes.
2. Click new menu option, "enclose in inheriting sections".

Adds an inheriting section between the first selected note and the note before, and another between the last selected note and the one after.

Sounds useful. :)
anonymous_old
I kinda like MetalMario's idea in the post above, but that should be in a feature request. ;P

I'm with awp on this issue. I think it would be best to allow users to customize shortcuts and bind any key to any menu option and tool. (I would like to bind keys to Select, Hit Circle, and Slider, for example. I think awp mentioned ^D should be deselect and not duplicate.) This would clean up the issue.
mm201

awp wrote:

There's a great deal more use to have the hotkey create a timing section instead of Inherited timing section: there is no need to access the tool bar or Timing Setup Panel when creating a timing section. All the buttons you need for a timing section are in the timing tab itself. You gain nothing by having Ctrl+P create an Inherited timing section because you need to enter the Timing Setup Panel to configure each and every Inherited timing section you create, otherwise the Inherited timing section will do nothing. I'm still waiting for a counter-argument for this claim.

Currently, I see no (good) reason for the change.
*click Timing* *click Add Inheriting section* x2, x3, or more.
*click Timing* *click Timing Setup*

It takes forever.

Ctrl+P, arrow key, Ctrl+P, ..., F6 goes a hell of a lot faster.

I use the new key binding all the time and I would go mad if it was taken away.

It's so much easier to bulk drop a large number of timing sections with this new feature, and adjust their settings all at once.

And before anyone asks why I'd need so many timing sections...

I doubt anyone could time a red timing section in any less than 20 seconds anyway, key binding or not.

While typing, I thought of a compromise: Map Ctrl+P to a regular timing section while in the Timing tab. No one would add inheriting sections from there, and no one would add non-inheriting sections from Compose. Win-win?
Derekku
Hey I didn't know about F6, thanks XP

Mmmm so many different possibilities and new feature ideas...
LuigiHann

MetalMario201 wrote:

1. Select a group of notes.
2. Click new menu option, "enclose in inheriting sections".

Adds an inheriting section between the first selected note and the note before, and another between the last selected note and the one after.

Sounds useful. :)
This is a good suggestion that deserves its own thread
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
This will be changed in the next public release.
0_o
Sooo what happened to this? It was changed then reverted in the next release..
peppy
Have you checked the timing menu? There is a shortcut for either. Use the one you want. I left the default because I believe it is correct.