forum

Anybody know of a painless way to offset video/subtitles?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gilrad
So I once downloaded a video with the subtitles off by less than a second, and I realized that it helped my Japanese much more than simply watching it with well-timed subs. So now I'm looking for a way to do that to all my anime.

Anybody know either of a script that can add time to a subtitle file, or a simple way to cut out less than a second from a video file without having to worry about recompiling and crap like that?
chan
If they're softsubs, just use VLC or mediaplayer classic. I'm pretty sure they have built in features to allow you to add offsets to the subtitles.

If they're hardsubs, then I doubt you can do anything that seems reasonable. I guess you could always increase the audio offset +/- depending on if you want the audio to come before or after the subs, but then the audio would be out of sync with the video.
Topic Starter
Gilrad
Of course I'm talking about soft subs :)

I've snooped around VLC and didn't find anything that could help. Heck, if I knew anything about programming, I'm sure it would be a five minute project to make a script that adds 0.75 seconds to each subtitle timing line.

But alas :(
chan
I think I tried this last night coz subs for a Korean drama were out

If you go into VLC and open a video under the File menu, select the video file and then enable subtitles. Once you select your soft sub file (.srt or whatever), I think there's a button in the open file panel for advanced options. I think you can change the delay (+ or -) for your subtitles. I did that for Coffee Prince last night, worked a charm.
peppy
Just thought i'd add that this is available in mplayer too.
Topic Starter
Gilrad
Awesome, thanks!

And, so that it could work universally, is there a subtitle stripper out there that will take an embedded sub file, and make it an external srt?
chan
I seriously doubt it, but I guess you can always try google. Let us know if anything comes up.
Topic Starter
Gilrad
I messed around with it and it turns out that if I act as though I'm opening an external subtitle file, setting the offset as mentioned, but not actually opening an external sub file, the offset still works. Thanks a bunch! It certainly looks weird with a ~2 second offset, but it helps a lot with my studies!