forum

Stock background images

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
EiJi
Osu! should have like a dozen pre-made Osu! background images available for use in the editor.

When you go to insert BG image, by default, osu dir/background will come up. This folder will contain stock backgrounds. From here people can select an image to use, should they not have their own.

Of course anyone can submit their own background images for official use. Much like the approval of skins, your images will be judged, and if approved, added to the official list.

Perhaps all these images can be available as one item in the "extras" section of the updater.
peppy
This sounds like a great idea.

I guess we should make a thread in the skinning forum to gather backgrounds together.

They should measure somewhere between 640x480 and 1024x768.
Topic Starter
EiJi
I've found 800x600 is the highest resolution you can use without parts of the image getting cropped.

Atleast in window mode, as that's what I use.
Echo
Should they be normal coloured pictures, or grayscale pictures which can be used with any colour, or both?

If both, how about two different categories?
LuigiHann
I started a thread for this. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1679
peppy

Echo49 wrote:

Should they be normal coloured pictures, or grayscale pictures which can be used with any colour, or both?
Maybe we should allow both? Allows for a bit more variation. Grayscale images should be on the bright-side since colouring is done in a subtractive manner. I dont think they should be separated though - that can be up to the beatmap author to decide?
Topic Starter
EiJi
These images should have Osu! in em. Then they could also be offered as wallpapers.
peppy
Oh hey, thats an idea. We should start a wallpaper thread - get some official ones happening :). I'm up for making some myself, too.