forum

Sudden Death Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Lancer_old
When you're going for an S rank on a song and you restart every time you get an X, it gets annoying to press Esc and Retry over and over again. Sudden Death mode would instantly cause you to fail and restart the song automatically when you get an X to streamline the S-getting process. The modifier could behave the same way No Video does. That is, no score bonus and it doesn't show up on the score list.

I think this feature would be very nice for retry whores (like Saturos 8-)). I know when I'm restarting a lot I miss the Esc key all the time, and that pisses me off.
chan
Hehehe, that sounds kinda lazy, but I can't see anything wrong with this request. I guess this would make the lifebar redundant? Could this be applied to not getting 50s and misses, and not getting 100s, 50s and misses?

Also, I was thinking of some similar sudden death modes where you must score only 100s, where a miss, 50 or 300 make you fail. Ditto for a mode for all 50s. I don't know if this will work out with sliders/spinners, and probably the lifebar needs to be excluded, coz I'm pretty sure all 50s is like, gradually failure.
awp
Keep in mind this is going to greatly muddle up the score listing. (I think.)

As always I'm going on memory and am not researching before I post (I am horrible, what can I say?) but I believe if you hit Esc - Retry, it is not marked as a fail on the song's record.

However, sudden death S streamlining will make even easy songs have a 2% success ratio and will skew results quite a bit. Unless the mod just won't submit fails.
chan
Maybe simply adding a keyboard key for the retry ("r" would be appropriate) could be a quick and temporary solution to streamlining achieving perfect runs.
awp
We already discussed that idea and it boiled down to

"it's fine don't be so damn lazy if you want to earn your S you earn it like a man and press two buttons instead of one"

which I'm not opposed to.
Topic Starter
Lancer_old
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Technically all of the modifiers skew the success rate in some way. If everyone used No Fail the success rate would be 100% no matter what. On the other hand Sudden Death mode would submit roughly 3x as many fails in the same amout of time plus the fact that someone playing Sudden Death mode might try the song 50+ times while anyone else would play maybe once or twice.

It seems like an easy solution to make Sudden Death fails not count, but if everyone happened to play in Sudden Death it would cause the success rate to be 100% again. Of course that is extremely unlikely to happen. If you didn't count Sudden Death fails the success rate would still be representative of the difficulty of the song, which I assume is its purpose.

Fake Edit:

awp wrote:

We already discussed that idea
Darn, I tried looking for a thread with a similar suggestion.

awp wrote:

it boiled down to

"it's fine don't be so damn lazy if you want to earn your S you earn it like a man and press two buttons instead of one"

which I'm not opposed to.
It might not be absolutely necessary, but it is a step towards a more polished game. If the game happened to have a command line interface and I had to type in a long command to play a song you could say the same thing about the suggestion to have a graphical interface, "DON'T BE SO DAMN LAZY," and the game would still be fine, but a graphical interface is still a nice feature.
awp

Lancer wrote:

It might not be absolutely necessary, but it is a step towards a more polished game. If the game happened to have a command line interface and I had to type in a long command to play a song you could say the same thing about the suggestion to have a graphical interface, "DON'T BE SO DAMN LAZY," and the game would still be fine, but a graphical interface is still a nice feature.
That is stretching it quite a bit, however.

Also, there is the issue of the player's stray hand striking the key unintentionally (unlikely, but possible). Also, if you ask me (and you certainly did!), it doesn't seem quite as polished as selecting "Retry" from a graphical menu.
Topic Starter
Lancer_old

awp wrote:

That is stretching it quite a bit, however.
It's still true though. Here's a more relevant example.

peppy wrote:

(*) Added "My Maps" filter mode for edit song selection. Only shows maps created by the currently logged user.
It saves a click or two and a moment of your time. Still a good addition.

awp wrote:

Also, there is the issue of the player's stray hand striking the key unintentionally (unlikely, but possible).
I don't like the key idea either. Its pretty much the same thing we already have except the key is harder to find.

awp wrote:

Also, if you ask me (and you certainly did!), it doesn't seem quite as polished as selecting "Retry" from a graphical menu.
If you enable Sudden Death that's two extra clicks total vs. two extra clicks every time you have to retry, which for me turns out to be 100+ clicks. Not that retry wouldn't still be on the menu anyway in case you think you did poorly on a spinner or got too many 100s.
LuigiHann
I like the idea of a sudden death mode as described. Optional, but good for the people who use it. And I think Osu needs a few more quirky modifiers.
peppy

awp wrote:

Keep in mind this is going to greatly muddle up the score listing. (I think.)

As always I'm going on memory and am not researching before I post (I am horrible, what can I say?) but I believe if you hit Esc - Retry, it is not marked as a fail on the song's record.

However, sudden death S streamlining will make even easy songs have a 2% success ratio and will skew results quite a bit. Unless the mod just won't submit fails.
Uh, I hate to tell you all... but esc-retry also counts as a ranked failure.

This mod will have no effect on the rankings.
peppy
p.s. added :P
awp

peppy wrote:

Uh, I hate to tell you all... but esc-retry also counts as a ranked failure.
Wow Hare Hare Yukai must have like five thousand failures

Success Rate: 17% (755/4329)

hey I was pretty close
Saturos
Now my play count will never go up! Lawl.

I'm serious when I say atleast 3.2k of my plays are retries. ;x
Echo

Saturos wrote:

I'm serious when I say atleast 3.2k of my plays are retries. ;x
I'd say the same thing about my play count - at least 2.5k are retries :|