posted
Total Posts

One Unranked Beatmap Policy?

YES: 1 unranked beatmap per person
18.18%
NO: As is, unlimited unranked beatmaps per person
81.82%
Total votes: 22
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
chan
If you haven't already noticed, the completed beatmaps forum isn't exactly clean, and there seems to be a pretty big backlog of unranked beatmaps for mods to go through.

Part of the reason for this is that people seem to neglect their own beatmaps, leaving half-finished works lying around on the last 5 or so pages of the completed beatmaps forum. I think one solution to this is to phase in a 1 unranked beatmap per person policy. Basically if you have a beatmap in the completed beatmaps forum, you can't submit another til it's ranked or you delete it yourself.

Also there are a few submissions of inactive users who I doubt will return to "touch up/fix/repair/improve" their beatmaps. I think these need to be moved to another forum instead of completed beatmaps, but maybe not deleted. Maybe "unfinished beatmaps of inactive users" or something.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Another problem (which, I might add, is us) is when people are submitting beatmaps that they want modded, but people just aren't looking at them. To that effect, people end up making a second beatmap to kill time while they wait for the first beatmap to be modded, and when this second beatmap is done they think "this turned out quite well; if I submit it, I'll be twice as likely to have either of them looked at!" and this may chain and build to an unstable level.

Some sort of preservation control is needed though, because like you said, lots of people submit beatmaps and then abandon them without explicitly stating so.
EiJi
*Ghostly voice*

NoooOOOoOOoOOO
flyboy87
I think it's a great idea, IF the mods are more proactive in modding people's maps. :D
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
From what I know of the mods, I don't think the we'll rank each others just so we can get more maps. Didn't we say that mods get slightly more maps at one time anyway?
LuigiHann
Maybe there could be some kind of queue system.
Topic Starter
chan

LuigiHann wrote:

Maybe there could be some kind of queue system.
Queue system sounds good. Probably based on the date of the original submission?
I was also thinking about having a "Work In Progress" forum where beatmaps requiring work would be moved to. Also abandoned beatmaps would probably rot there on the last pages.
Also a completed beatmap moved to work in progress and then improved and moved back to completed beatmaps would still be in the queue based on the original date of submission. Yeah?

On a slightly related note, I noticed some real old posts in completed beatmaps contained more than one beatmap, since they didn't/couldn't use the in game submission at the time. I can get around to fixing this tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.
[Edit]: Tempted to double post. Those beatmaps not submitted through in-game submission also aren't included in the respective person's profiles under "unranked beatmaps".
awp

chan wrote:

I was also thinking about having a "Work In Progress" forum where beatmaps requiring work would be moved to.
Beatmap Help?
Topic Starter
chan
I thought beatmap help was for people seeking assistance, whereas a work in progress would just be a forum where people's unrankable beatmaps go until they improve on them. If they need help, they could always get it moved to beatmap help, perhaps by adding some kind of icon to their post.
awp
Ah I see...though that might cause a bit of confusion amongst beatmap modders/owners for beatmaps to be jumping back and forth all the time. Using the icon system is kind of handy - if there was a way to sort threads by icon, wouldn't that essentially serve the same purpose?
Topic Starter
chan
Icon sorting sounds like a good idea, although I haven't exactly thought it through. Does this call for a seperate feature request?
awp
Limiting unranked beatmaps is starting to sound like a good idea to me, however, I think 1 is just too restrictive. Some kind of formula which considers the number of ranked beatmaps you have might be better.

Justification for this: If you have 0 ranked beatmaps, odds are you're still new. So, before you start on a second project, you'll need to know whether or not you're even doing it right. But for someone like Eiji, who has plenty of ranked beatmaps, it's safe to say he's got the general idea down pat, and should only be restricted to, say,

(rankedBeatmaps/3) modulus 8

and could have five or six unranked beatmaps floating around at the same time (up to a max of, say, 8?).

Even if someone has plenty of ranked beatmaps, and all of their completed, unranked beatmaps are of staggeringly high quality, I feel a quota is still necessary because:

A - Mods are modding voluntarily on their own free time and are often busy with other things (or lazy) and well we don't want too much work
B - Restricting a user's number of beatmaps will prevent the established, professional beatmappers from completely suffocating new/unknown beatmappers (who may or may not be equally professional or even moreso)
Echo
I agree with the /3, maybe 4.

By the way, I think your formula is wrong: if I have 24 ranked maps, I won't be able to submit any ((24/3)%8 = 0) :P
awp
oops yes I broke the formula with modulus I'm always trying to figure out how to express maximum/minimum with algebraic expressions and I'm not sure if you can do that???

Granted ranked beatmaps with a multiple of 24 are the only ones to break the formula and if you have 24 ranked beatmaps you are done okay >=O (ignore this paragraph)
ZZT the Fifth
No. No no no no no no no. I do not like this idea at all.