forum

[Archived] osu! Lags Badly During Break

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Torran
More specifically, on the first break of Without a Fight. By the time the lag passes, I've already missed a few beats after the break. Specs just in case it's just me:

SPOILER
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: GM5478
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
Derekku
Maybe it's the storyboard rendering or something? Whenever I play a song with a SB, I ALWAYS lag when a break comes. Usually it's just for a second though :X
Yoshi348
On some computers storyboards lag to hell when loading new images. I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is, not being that versed in this area of programming.
mattyu007
SB elements are cached during breaks to avoid superlong load times at the beginning of the map
Topic Starter
Torran

mattyu007 wrote:

SB elements are cached during breaks to avoid superlong load times at the beginning of the map
There's probably a reason why Gitaroo Man/Guitar Hero/Ouendan (less noticeable but there)/PaRappa the Rapper/Rockband all have loading screens. I would prefer loading screens over lagging any day, plus, I'm entertained by animating loading screens :)
mattyu007
There is no real loading screen aside from the black screen on public. The test build now also shows the background image of the map in place of the black screen.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Torran

strager wrote:

Make sure you have plenty of RAM available before starting osu!. (512 MB should be plenty.) Windows may be swapping stuff to the disk, causing major slowdowns.

If RAM isn't an issue, try defragmenting your disk.
RAM and defrag is never an issue; I run Sims 3 at full speed!
anonymous_old

soradg123 wrote:

RAM and defrag is never an issue; I run Sims 3 at full speed!
Don't assume because one game doesn't lag no other game should lag.

Check your RAM usage and try defragging. If you don't I'll assume you don't care.
Topic Starter
Torran
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

soradg123 wrote:

Avira AntiVir's running in the background
Try disabling it.

soradg123 wrote:

I have 1 GB of RAM to spare.
K, that should be enough.

soradg123 wrote:

As for defragging, I use PerfectDisk. I know how my own personal computer works so I'm confident when I say that it's not a problem on my end.
Uh, okay...

soradg123 wrote:

Plus, the only factor that affects osu! for me is virtual memory.
Hmm...

strager wrote:

Windows may be swapping stuff to the disk, causing major slowdowns.
It's odd you mention virtual memory (which I assume means swap) but you say you have plenty of RAM left.

soradg123 wrote:

After a bit more studying of the problem I now say that osu! froze and not lagged. CPU usage for osu! went abruptly to 0 and lasted for more than 10 seconds before jumping back up to >40.
This suggests I/O is blocking the process. For example, hard disk spins up after going into a low-power state at the start of a break. Check that you're in "performance mode" or whatever userland Windows calls it, so the HDD doesn't go into a low-power state as often.

soradg123 wrote:

I also noticed that osu! prefers using only 1 of my 4 cores, multi-core support?
Definitely no need to have multi-core support. I mean, it would be nice, but it's really difficult to code.
peppy
osu! uses mutliple cores. If you are using Direct3D rendering, it will load textures in the background. What you are seeing is likely a slow disk as strager mentioned. If osu! is dropping to 0% cpu, then something else on your system is blocking the process. This is probably disk access.

Try disabling your virus scanner. It will probably do wonders in this area.

I don't think this is a problem btw. Noone else has complained. Care to list off your PC specs (and whether it is desktop or laptop, and which manufacturer and if you have a clean windows install or preinstalled).
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Care to list off your PC specs (and whether it is desktop or laptop, and which manufacturer and if you have a clean windows install or preinstalled).
In OP. More detailed specs.
Topic Starter
Torran

peppy wrote:

osu! uses mutliple cores. If you are using Direct3D rendering, it will load textures in the background. What you are seeing is likely a slow disk as strager mentioned. If osu! is dropping to 0% cpu, then something else on your system is blocking the process. This is probably disk access.
Looks like peppy solved the problem with a subtle hint. Comparing D3D and OGL, D3D takes advantage of multiple cores while OGL uses one to 100% constantly. Also, D3D...doesn't freeze on Without a Fight :) , quite surprising but not unexpected since OGL was never really bug-free. Disk access isn't a problem cause I optimized it for performance.

peppy wrote:

Try disabling your virus scanner. It will probably do wonders in this area.
No change in performance. I did mention that I use Avira AntiVir Free, right? It's not like Norton which likes sucking your PC dry of resources.

peppy wrote:

I don't think this is a problem btw. Noone else has complained. Care to list off your PC specs (and whether it is desktop or laptop, and which manufacturer and if you have a clean windows install or preinstalled).

soradg123 wrote:

SPOILER
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: GM5478
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
Anyways, Resolved
Problem: Buggy OpenGL