forum

How to get your map looked at ("modded")

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Hello! As a newbie mapper, you may have trouble getting your map looked at. This is known as getting your map "modded", or checked for possible improvements by people who generally know what they're talking about. So, to get your map looked at, follow these easy steps!

1. Upload your map to the BSS. To do this, go into the Editor. Then, select the "File" tab, and then choose "Upload". You'll then be able to find the link to your map in your profile.

2. Get the link of your beatmap. We need the link of your beatmap in order to be able to assist you. Again, this can be found by going into your profile. Alternatively, select your map in the song select screen and enter the following command in chat:

/bb /np

3. Go into the Modding Queues subforum and look for open queues. Follow the rules, cross your fingers, and voila! - your map will get looked at. Alternatively, go into #modreqs and request "mod4mods" - you'll mod one person's map in exchange for them modding your map. While you can always trick them and not mod their map, it is not recommended because you might end up getting ridiculed and ostracized by the mapping community.

4. If this is your first map, get at least 15 stars on your map; this will tell you that people are finding your map good and rankable. Once you get to that point, you get to start looking for a MAT. To find a MAT:

-1. Look at the userpage and signatures of various MATs. This will tell you who might mod your map.
-2. Once you decide on certain MATs to look for, start up a conversation. Popping the question right away just makes them feel like a tool. Being friendly, on the other hand, will give them a better impression of you and because of that they'll be more likely to make room for your mod request.
-3. Once you get nice and deep into the conversation, *then* pop the question and cross your fingers.

Getting a bubble will take a while, but persevere! Once you get that bubble, you're typically good to go; just follow what the MAT and BAT say and keep at it! Getting your map ranked will take a while, but it's well worth it.

Good luck!
Cuddlebun
jesus christ Ekaru how many 'how to' and 'guide' threads are you going to post
Larto
Jesus christ I had to move your first topic already.
K2J
Jesus Christ this got moved while I was writing this.

tl;dr version:

It's a social thing. If you're not going to be social about modding (give and take, using courtesy, knowing people as more than just star and bubble whores), you're not going to be successful. Believe me, I know.
blissfulyoshi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
yeahyeahyeahhh

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Looks pretty nice Ekaru.

I just advise you add a link to your modding guide under "Also, mod other people's maps." This way people can't have the excuse that they don't know how to mod other ppl's maps.
C-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Jesus Christ this guide is good. Before my first map I never talked in #mod or modded others maps. After awhile i started chatting in #mod and getting to know people, it was MUCH easier to get my map modded. That's not to say it's still not a lengthy process. You have to try your hardest to be patient. I still lack this a bit. :(
minyeob
What the heck this thread is awesome ~_~
Nicely done.
I sent PM to BAT only 1 time, btw
Topic Starter
Ekaru

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Looks pretty nice Ekaru.

I just advise you add a link to your modding guide under "Also, mod other people's maps." This way people can't have the excuse that they don't know how to mod other ppl's maps.
Done.

@K2J: Hence why I had the part on hanging around in chat for a week. It helps quite a bit. So does modding other people's maps. Both help people to recognize you. If you just spam your link in #mod, you won't get anywhere. Hence why I recommended hanging out in #osu for a week before repeating step 2.

Both modding and hanging out in chat gets you known, hence, it's much easier to get your map modded. Now newbies can read this, and know that they should hang out in #mod and #osu for best chances of success.
Zerostarry
1. Choose a map to be your main map you're working on getting to its fullest potential, and then ranked. You can map multiple, but when it comes to a map getting modded and ranked, it works best if you focus on one. Seriously.
fucking agreed

If you are gonna upload 8 maps then please expect it to go by slowly
Topic Starter
Ekaru
I upload 5, but when I feel like getting a map ranked I only focus on 1.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
In light of recent events, there's something I'd like to add/remind people of:

Don't bother going "BAT request!" in #mod. It gives the "I'm special!" vibe, which is not what you want (yes, it does, whether you like it or not). You need to show that you do indeed know that you are *not* special. That is much more fruitful.

See, the "BAT request: *map here*" is basically saying, "my map is perfect for ranking, you'll find no flaws, and it doesn't need any more modding; it's ready for approval!". Now that you know what you are saying, you should know why it gives the "I'm the center of the universe!" vibe.

Essentially, BATs will just ignore/mock you, and you said you don't want modders to look at it, soooooo...

Going "BAT/mod/star request:" or w/e is just silly, BTW. Just go "Can someone please mod this? *map here*" or even "mod request: *map here*". Asking for someone to mod in general is the best way to go about it (you may even get lucky and nab a BAT occasionally :P), and follow the BAT section when you think you're ready for a BAT to look at it.

Didn't know? No worries; now you know! Horray!
Gens
I wonder who came up with "BAT REQUEST" first, it sounds silly. "Please BAT my map" doesn't sounds too good, eh?

Newbie mappers should get higher priority before checking with a BAT, too. Just saying.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
BTW, this is slightly outdated, I'll change it when I know for sure that it's not going to change up on me again. Slightly edited version:

-Ask for regular modders
-Then, at high kudosu, ask for MATs
-Once proto-bubbled, follow steps for asking BATs
Kert
This doesn't work, sorry. Not to mention that no one, whom I asked, never told their BAT policies
Topic Starter
Ekaru

CracK wrote:

This doesn't work, sorry. Not to mention that no one, whom I asked, never told their BAT policies
Oh yeah, forgot to update, sorry. The first half of the guide works just fine, it's the BAT part I had to fix. ><;

This was for last summer when BATs were more open to that and it actually worked. There are a *lot* more mappers now and active users in general. I mean, there are 367K users now, reaches over 1,800 concurrent users.

So, as you found out the hard way, many BATs ignore most PMs.

Unless they know the person.

And the people who know the BATs are those who claim there's nothing wrong with this system. However, the creator of this game says he's working on a new system and I've witnessed him get PO'd at this situation. That's how bad it is.

Anyways, updated it. Basically, it's pure dumb luck now if you don't know the BATs personally. Talking in chat and getting known helps your chances a bit. Check the sigs first, then post in #modReqs daily and ask the BATs that don't have "I DON'T TAKE REQUESTS LOLOLOLOL" in their siq. Sooner or later you'll get it.

After like months of absolute hell. Good luck! All you can do is 'be patient', which is said by those who only have to wait like a week or less for a BAT. Trust me, it sucks. Especially the speedranks you'll be surrounded by. ~_~ Who will then, as I said, claim there's nothing wrong with the system, even though you know better.
Kert
Thanks for the response, Ekaru
I became so tired with PMing BATs and most of the time getting nothing, so probably I'll just stick to #modreqs (though Sakura301 doens't edit his/her list anymore)
I really hope peppy will do something about it
Locher
i know that this is a dead thread but i just wanted to emphasize that Ekaru's guides are goddamn useful.
I didn't know i had to approach the specialized people called "BAT" to actually check maps.
It seems like #osu is the only way to get known and that will be the end of line for me.
Newbies sure have it tough.
Xgor
This should totally be updated and include MATs.

Just sayin'
RandomJibberish

Der_Locher wrote:

It seems like #osu is the only way to get known and that will be the end of line for me.
You might find #modHelp easier and more approachable. A lot of our friendly neighborhood MAT and BAT are there and willing to help.
Locher

RandomJibberish wrote:

Der_Locher wrote:

You might find #modHelp easier and more approachable. A lot of our friendly neighborhood MAT and BAT are there and willing to help.
Thank you very much, Kind Sir.
I think of myself as a newborn, unable to do anything and only be able to survive by relying on others.
The problem is I don't even need maps to be ranked, i just need somebody who'd tell me my maps are without faults.
And I think #modhelp might be my saviour. Thanks again for the help.

Edit: I don't want this to escalate into a chat thread so i just edited this here.
I visited #modHelp and they even taught me various things. I am very grateful to the friendly people there,
i'm never going to let go of those memories. I think I now know how this community works.
If people need help with their maps, just visit #modhelp and see for yourself!
show more