forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 4: 'Etna sliders!'

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
53.52%
26.17%
13.28%
3.91%
1 - Hate them!
3.12%
Total votes: 256
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Round 4: 'Etna sliders!'

A pretty obvious choice, as many people use them. Originally coined by awp and named after a character from Disgaea who appeared in one of his maps, these are usually composed of several to many continuous 1/2 sliders in a row, with nothing else in-between. They can go in any direction and there are usually plenty of them.

Current Nominations:
Zig-zag slider jumps

Nomination requirements:
1. (Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
2. An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
3. A ranked map that has the technique so I can see it in action.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Daru
Oh, I always though etna sliders were the really long ones that went with the background.
Like the Longcat's Song sliders. :o
mm201
They're just fine as long as they don't overlap and when they go with the music.
Larto
Love 'em. They're great to spice up hard maps and are fun to play.
I used them in Dicks are for my Friends and I love that map =3
Metroid

strager wrote:

I love etna's.

Arguments against etna's are void.
AGREED'!
lukewarmholiday
worst mapping technique ever.

05/5

No, I did not forget to put a decimal or anything of that sort.
LuigiHann
Yup, I like them. Only time they bother me is when they overlap each other, as they did in the original Etna map
lukewarmholiday
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru
If they overlap or are done poorly they count as Etna sliders, as long as they are a series of 1/2 sliders.

That said, I gave it a 4. Love them overall, unless they are used for 80% of the map, overlap, or make no sense. Most cases it's all good, though.
Zerostarry
5/5.
Derekku
I can't decide between 4/5 or 5/5. I love them, but sometimes they're overused. But sometimes I love them when they're overused ahhhhhhhh aldskjf *5's*
anonymous_old
I think the technique should be rated and not the general application of the technique.
Derekku
Either way, I love them <3

*thinks about DJPop's 'Disappearance of Hatsune Miku' map with all the etnas* *drool*
awp
anonymous_old

awp wrote:

Proud lover of Etna sliders.
That's not what your sig says.
eee
5 :3
Cyclone
I find that etnas are used well sometimes, but i find many reasons to hate these. The main reason i dislike these is it seems people use them to fill in every gap in their maps. Music consists of notes AND rests/silences, which some people fail to realize.

i'll give it a 3 or something...
lukewarmholiday
Would you consider the etna sliders in my demetori map good or bad use.
rust45
I gave them a four, fun, fast, and can really spice up a map. But I do think they can be misused. In fact in my first map, I used them in the very beginning just for the sake of using them, I came to realize just how crappy that part was after it got ranked.
show more