forum

Timing, streams, and straight lines; Oh my!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AIDS
Move along folks. Nothing to see here except a guy ranting:

No matter how many times I practice, I never get better. Sure, I can play fast songs like Starfox Rock or Last Moment on the hardest difficulty (admittedly only about halfway through, because I have no endurance...), but face me with any type of slow song, and I'll almost always fall flat on my face. Why? Because streams, that's why. Nothing makes me rage more than losing a song simply because I didn't hit a line of 20 circles perfectly. Not that streams are fun to begin with....

Which brings me to my next problem: Timing. I've had this same problem with DDR forever, in that no matter how much I practice, I can never get the oh-so-important perfect timings on every hit....or even 75% of them. This is another reason I can't play slow songs, because if I miss one circle, or (god forbid) get a series of green hits, my health bar continues to decrease and I have no chance of recovery.

Straight lines are another problem of mine. It seems stupid, but I'll fail a song just because there are a few straight lines of circles. They don't even have to be streams... Sure, super fast randomized circles are fine, but GOD FORBID UNIFORM ONES!

In short, i've hit a brick wall here. Is there something I can use to train myself? I'd kill for a practice mode so I wouldn't have to sit through half a song just to fail instantly on a lone stream or other bastardized monstrosity....
adam2046
Try James training.
MegaManEXE
Do you play keyboard+mouse or just mouse? Streams really aren't that bad if you use the keyboard...I can imagine they'd be tough on mouse clickers though.

As for timing, I had terrible PA/FA when I used to play DDR too, but the timing window on DDR is actually pretty strict compared to osu (or at least it seems that way to me ._.). I guess just try to play with the rhythm of the song? Or failing that (if you have a poor sense of rhythm) then just try to watch the approach circles I suppose. And don't practice on really old maps, their messed up spacing will cause an even bigger headache.
Topic Starter
AIDS

MegaManEXE wrote:

Do you play keyboard+mouse or just mouse? Streams really aren't that bad if you use the keyboard...I can imagine they'd be tough on mouse clickers though.

As for timing, I had terrible PA/FA when I used to play DDR too, but the timing window on DDR is actually pretty strict compared to osu (or at least it seems that way to me ._.). I guess just try to play with the rhythm of the song? Or failing that (if you have a poor sense of rhythm) then just try to watch the approach circles I suppose. And don't practice on really old maps, their messed up spacing will cause an even bigger headache.
Until a few days ago I didn't even know I could use the keyboard. >.< It's easier now that I do, but it's still hard to get timings right. I do fairly well on rhythm songs with a strong beat/that clapping noise, but most of the songs I have don't have either of those. Approach circles help a little, but it's hard to follow them when there are so many. Idk, I guess I just need to torture myself more on super-streamy songs until I can do them.
MegaManEXE
Try Justice to Believe I guess ?_?

Might be tough but you can throw on No Fail (and Spunout so you don't kill your accuracy).

Also make sure you're alternating between z and x (or whatever keys you use) on streams, don't try to 1 finger them unless they're realllllllllllly slow
Rayzee
Maybe it's because of the speed of the map itself?

There beatmaps that have streams so fast my fingers can't even keep up with the pace. Or they just go numb half way from too many streams. (For example nightmare or barusa of mikosu)

I'd suggest maps with lots of notes in triples, then slowly build up to songs with small streams which is what I did, since hitting triplets are very easy and a good starting point.

Timing wise, if you've just switched to keyboard lately it might just be that your not use to it, give it a week and see if you start to get in sync with your 2 fingers with the song, which took me a while.
Gabi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
lukewarmholiday
Saya~
Mystearica
I've been there as welll, totally understand where you're coming from.

For me I switched my dominant finger and I was able to perform better on streams, but sadly there is no way to get better at them other than playing mass streams maps.

Justice to believe is realllllly good for this type of stuff.
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
AIDS
Zekira
Rolled
Zekira
no u -_- how the hell can you FC that when cyclone can't anyway lol :\ mouse monsters -_-
Daru
Rolled

Zekira wrote:

no u -_- how the hell can you FC that when cyclone can't anyway lol :\ mouse monsters -_-
Because I am better than cyclone.
RemmyX25

Rolled wrote:

Zekira wrote:

Because I am better than cyclone.
A challenger appears.