forum

Promote badly made beatmaps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ph0X
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
DeathxShinigami
You should try doing the song of the week then! You have what it takes!
LuigiHann
Sounds like the version of Hair Scare that appears in the pack may be the "broken" version. Download the stand-alone version and you should see a significant improvement. I'll see about fixing the one in the pack

And yes, there are some old and weird maps in the first generation of Theme Packs. This was intentionally done (by me, personally) to basically cover the history of osu! up to that point. The more recent packs tend to deal with more recent maps (and also they are chosen by people who aren't me), so it's not going to happen going forward.

Edit: Rhythm Game Pack 1 has been updated with the not-broken version of Hair Scare. Hopefully that eliminates the broken version from all locations.
kingcobra52

Ph0X wrote:

Now amazing songs like:
Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics
that have amazing rhythm and are actually very fun to play don't get in any packs
*adds ph0X to friend's list* <3
lukewarmholiday
Some of the old beatmaps are less than stellar but It's all we had at the time.

Can't really blame the packmaker.
Pasonia
I thought somewhere in the site would've mentioned that the first ten to twenty packs are old maps made during a time where standards have not risen to the current?
LuigiHann

Pasonia wrote:

I thought somewhere in the site would've mentioned that the first ten to twenty packs are old maps made during a time where standards have not risen to the current?
We're talking about the Theme Packs with achievements tied to them in this thread
0_o
There is kind of a good point here though, a lot of the maps in the early achievement packs just kinda.. suck. It seems a little strage that you have the play the crappy maps to get the achievements, shouldn't we be promoting the maps of today's standards instead?

I would be all in favour of updating the achievement packs so that older maps are replaced with more recent ones. I say the less people are forced to play old maps, the better.
LuigiHann
Nobody's forced to play the old maps

The achievement is simply a bonus for those that choose to. It's not like the achievement unlocks anything, aside from the achievement itself.

The original packs were also selected back before there were achievements. I'd rather leave the old packs alone, so they can all serve as time capsules... and I'd actually rather eliminate the pack achievements from the earliest packs than replace any of the maps in them. Replacing bad old maps with better maps from the same timeframe would be acceptable, but replacing old maps with new maps in the old packs doesn't make any sense.

Also, I put somebody else in charge of theme packs, now. Larto, I think. All I can really say is to take "potential longevity" into account when making new packs.