forum

Windows 7 marketing fail

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Echo

Let's host Windows 7 parties!
anonymous_old
Didn't watch the video but a local LAN is holding one to hopefully get free ligit copies of 7.

This news is weeks old though.
Sleep Powder
My mom made me do something like this...but it was a house party...for some unknown car industry.:?
Even though she said they were giving away prizes to some of the people doing chosen to do it.
peppy
The best part is the obvious post-edit of the geeky guy saying "you may want to ring customer support" towards the start.
anonymous_old
omfg.

Watching the video. Camera shit and editing is shit.

I love how they talk about "basic features". Have "basic features" changed in the last decade?

"REALLY informal."

How is "help" a "great resource"? I go to "help" when I have a problem, not when I'm bored. windows.com/help is, I'm sure, not for leisure reading!

The black guy is annoying. Arg.

"Be totally creative with ... the parties." What?

wtf at that guy doing the wang symbol or whatever.

This video was full of fail.
Loginer

strager wrote:

omfg.

Watching the video. Camera shit and editing is shit.

I love how they talk about "basic features". Have "basic features" changed in the last decade?

"REALLY informal."

How is "help" a "great resource"? I go to "help" when I have a problem, not when I'm bored. windows.com/help is, I'm sure, not for leisure reading!

The black guy is annoying. Arg.

"Be totally creative with ... the parties." What?

wtf at that guy doing the wang symbol or whatever.

This video was full of fail.
It must be, since they let you watch it.
K2J
Marketing of Windows 7, by region:

USA: A standard live-action video trying to convince people that setting up an OS is a social event. You know, kind of like that MS-DOS 5 rap. Boooring, been there, done that.

Japan: An official OS-tan and her theme with the premium model, voiced by a relatively popular VA.
Topic Starter
Echo
Pasonia
This goes to show one clear thing. Open up the spoilers if you are sure you won't rage at it. (4chan /b/tards you will rage at it, so read at your own risk)

SPOILER
The Japanese are a MUCH EASIER crowd to please than the Westerners. Basically, moe-geared tactics for any product is sure to succeed in Japan (We don't have to look that far, think KANON, AIR, and every commercially successful media product since the turn of the century).

But you can't have blood and gore for a Windows 7 promotion (it'll be cool if someone like Alex Mercer can advertise the product with some awesome chop-scenes, but then the ESRB and the Feds and the Secret Service and the White House will all come in to say STOP!), you can't use sex to sell (obviously if you're going to get Kim Kardashian to promote Windows 7 it'll be featured on every critical website as LOLFAIL), and you can't do this and that and this and that...

Trying too hard to please can be severe LOLFAIL. I blame it all on 4chan. They blur everything in the West side of the world and makes wrong look so right, no one can tell what is what anymore.
Loginer

Pasonia wrote:

This goes to show one clear thing. Open up the spoilers if you are sure you won't rage at it. (4chan /b/tards you will rage at it, so read at your own risk)

SPOILER
The Japanese are a MUCH EASIER crowd to please than the Westerners. Basically, moe-geared tactics for any product is sure to succeed in Japan (We don't have to look that far, think KANON, AIR, and every commercially successful media product since the turn of the century).

But you can't have blood and gore for a Windows 7 promotion (it'll be cool if someone like Alex Mercer can advertise the product with some awesome chop-scenes, but then the ESRB and the Feds and the Secret Service and the White House will all come in to say STOP!), you can't use sex to sell (obviously if you're going to get Kim Kardashian to promote Windows 7 it'll be featured on every critical website as LOLFAIL), and you can't do this and that and this and that...

Trying too hard to please can be severe LOLFAIL. I blame it all on 4chan. They blur everything in the West side of the world and makes wrong look so right, no one can tell what is what anymore.
How about not desperately trying to cater to the "hip" crowd and actually show off some of the useful new features and tell people why they should switch to Windows 7? As long as the word of mouth is "7 is a stable OS and looks better than XP/OSX" rather than "7 is buggy and slow and sucks use XP", they'll do great in sales. After all, almost all OEM computers come with Windows preinstalled on them. Besides, there's nothing particularly bad about the idea of hosting parties to pitch Windows 7, they're just doing it horribly wrong.

And what the hell does 4chan have to do with anything? Are you really naive enough to think anyone would ask people on some obscure imageboard to determine what's popular? Or do you think no one would find that video retarded if some guys on 4chan said it wasn't? 4chan has no influence on popular culture whatsoever aside from lolcats and rickrolls.
So the Japanese sheep are easier to herd, good for them. That doesn't mean a video with old people in a kitchen talking about operating systems while trying to be cool is in any way a good idea.
K2J

K2J wrote:

Japan: An official OS-tan and her theme with the premium model, voiced by a relatively popular VA.

Echo wrote:

http://www.japanator.com/the-os-war-is-won-windows-7-gets-officially-endorsed-os-tan-11521.phtml
ಠ_ಠ
Topic Starter
Echo
That should teach me for not reading posts properly >.>
Ekaru
Can you believe that Microsoft put the launch of Windows 7 in our hands?
That single line explains everything. Though, I'd say that I like the English approach better than the Japanese approach. Parties > some weird theme with a generic anime-style girl that I could personally care less about.

They get an A for effort, at least. But they also should've made a more traditional video so you would only have to watch one video if you just wanted to see what Windows 7 had to offer and had no plans on throwing a party. *sigh*
adam2046

Ekaru wrote:

They get an A for effort, at least. But they also should've made a more traditional video so you would only have to watch one video if you just wanted to see what Windows 7 had to offer and had no plans on throwing a party. *sigh*
That's what normal internet people/journalists are for.
Ekaru
We already have a PC World subscription, already read a bunch of stuff about Windows 7 there. I want to see it in action however, which is why I want a showcase video. :P
Neo@lex
Nanami isn't the Japanese "approach", she's merely a set of theme shit Microsoft chucked in there after getting an endless recursion of OS-tan related questions.
Ironically, the Japanese community don't seem to care that much about the character and are more excited about DirectX 11.
Loginer

Ekaru wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WindowsVideos
Ekaru
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
[deleted user]

K2J wrote:

USA: A standard live-action video trying to convince people that setting up an OS is a social event. You know, kind of like that MS-DOS 5 rap.
Hey, catchy music, nice rythm. I'm so sold on this... I think I am going to upgrade my pc from vista to this brand new MS-DOS 5 right now. :)
Neo@lex
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X7V7NAYT
Nanami Madobe Win7 theme. Surfaced 21 hours after the Japanese launch. Apparently this DL has some sounds that were only used for the press release.
show more