forum

David Byrne - Like Humans Do

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Matma Rex
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 21 stycznia 2012 at 16:13:44

Artist: David Byrne
Title: Like Humans Do
BPM: 106,56
Filesize: 3026kb
Play Time: 02:21
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1,69 stars, 133 notes)
  2. Hard (4,91 stars, 123 notes)
  3. Normal (3,36 stars, 281 notes)
Download: David Byrne - Like Humans Do
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Easy and Normal ready. Hard kinda sucks.
arkiandruski
Okay, wow. There are two main problems that I see with both difficulties.

1. The overall rhythm of the map is counter intuitive. This is compounded by the fact that often note spacing does not reflect rhythm. You might need to go in and rework the rhythms. Really listen to the song and figure out where the important moments are. I will go into specifics for each map later.

2. There are way too many sliders that overlap notes and other sliders. This leads to them being hidden and giving very little time to react.

Easy:

00:03:36 (1) - I would advise placing a note on the downbeat here. I keep on feeling I have to wait for the first note or hitting on the downbeat and missing it.

00:17:71 (3) - I would suggest prepping this speed up with another note before the slider.

00:36:85 (1) - The wait before this slider is way too long and the beginning of the slider is to close to the previous beat. Try figuring out a rhythm to take up the time between the previous note and the slider.

00:41:92 (1) - The first half of the slider is okay, but the return doesn't end on a very strong point. I'd say have it go one way and place a beat in the space between this slider and the next.

00:43:33 (4) - I think this slider should be shorter.

01:00:50 (1,2) - I can never get these notes in context. I think it's again because the wait is too long. Try placing a note before them.

Normal:

00:02:23 (1,2,3) - Recheck the rhythm in the drum part. These notes are too slow.

00:15:74 (3) - This note is hidden.

00:36:85 (1) - Same as the slider in Easy

00:50:08 (1,2,3) - Do you really want these to overlap that much?

00:56:70 (1) - These sliders start in an awkward place musically. I'd suggest bumping them a 1/4 beat to the right and adjusting spacing accordingly.

01:23:02 (1) - This note has the potential to be very annoying since it's offbeat and not prepped at all. I don't know if there's an elegant way to fix it, though.

01:40:75 (2) - Having a slider hidden under another slider is confusing, especially when there is another note in between.

Anyway, I did a little bit of reworking on the easy map to demonstrate some of the things I was talking about. This is by no means a perfect fix, just something quick and dirty. Hopefully you can see that it feels a bit better than what you have right now.

Download: David Byrne - Like Humans Do.osz
Topic Starter
Matma Rex
Thanks for modding, dude.

arkiandruski wrote:

Okay, wow. There are two main problems that I see with both difficulties.

1. The overall rhythm of the map is counter intuitive. This is compounded by the fact that often note spacing does not reflect rhythm. You might need to go in and rework the rhythms. Really listen to the song and figure out where the important moments are. I will go into specifics for each map later.
... I dunno, but I think everything is all right. If you were talking about spacing, then it has to be right - AIMod (Ctrl+Shift+A) does not find anything wrong, except 4 little intended jumps on Normal. If about something else, explain it.

2. There are way too many sliders that overlap notes and other sliders. This leads to them being hidden and giving very little time to react.
Oh come on, there are just a few overlaps in this map, I don't think any of them is *that* hard to read.

Easy:

00:03:36 (1) - I would advise placing a note on the downbeat here. I keep on feeling I have to wait for the first note or hitting on the downbeat and missing it.
I was thinking about it; done.

00:17:71 (3) - I would suggest prepping this speed up with another note before the slider.
I changed the slider and its surroundsing completely, it was ugly.

00:36:85 (1) - The wait before this slider is way too long and the beginning of the slider is to close to the previous beat. Try figuring out a rhythm to take up the time between the previous note and the slider.
... when you click the previous beat, the slider is not even visible yet. Even absolute beginner can read it. There's a wait before it, because there is no major rhythm then.

00:41:92 (1) - The first half of the slider is okay, but the return doesn't end on a very strong point. I'd say have it go one way and place a beat in the space between this slider and the next.
00:43:33 (4) - I think this slider should be shorter.
True, your version is much better.

01:00:50 (1,2) - I can never get these notes in context. I think it's again because the wait is too long. Try placing a note before them.
There's a note in Normal, I removed it in Easy, but it seems like I've been wrong. Done.

Normal:

00:02:23 (1,2,3) - Recheck the rhythm in the drum part. These notes are too slow.
Yeah, i re-placed them with 1/6 divisor.

00:15:74 (3) - This note is hidden.
It's stacked, and it's all right. When playing, it's placed a bit more to down and right.

00:36:85 (1) - Same as the slider in Easy
Same answer as in Easy.

00:50:08 (1,2,3) - Do you really want these to overlap that much?
I don't see anything wrong with it, but eh. Changed them.

00:56:70 (1) - These sliders start in an awkward place musically. I'd suggest bumping them a 1/4 beat to the right and adjusting spacing accordingly.
Yeah, it may seem weird, but Byrne's also singing it in weird way - "I'm (end of prev. slider) m-achin', m-shakin', m-breathin' like...". These sliders begin at the "m"s and end at first syllable of next word. Although, if someone else will also insist on changing, I'll probably change it.

01:23:02 (1) - This note has the potential to be very annoying since it's offbeat and not prepped at all. I don't know if there's an elegant way to fix it, though.
It fits the lyrics - "dead". I moved it 1/8 back, I hope it'll work better now.

01:40:75 (2) - Having a slider hidden under another slider is confusing, especially when there is another note in between.
It's visible, thanks to stacking. Also, I meant these two sliders to be "breathing in" and "breathing out" - so they go the same way, but one up and one down.
NoHitter
Suggestions:

Normal
00:24:193 - Try lowering the volume of this slider. It matches better with the lyrics.
00:45:867 - Although sliders that emulate previous sliders are good, this seems repetitive; it the same slider just appeared a while back; try flipping it vertically for it to remain symmetrical to th eprevious slider and at the same time not that repetitive.
01:29:496 - Looks weird...
01:44:414 - Try flipping this horizontally.
01:53:421 - ^ In accordance with that; try flipping this both horizontally and vertically.

Easy
Too big circles if you ask me.
00:25:319 - Volume control?
00:45:867 - Same comment in Normal
01:01:066 - For me the "Do" ends at 01:03:600, so extend?

Hard
Not that too keen on modding incomplete diffs.

Overall
Good song; simple map.

Star
arkiandruski
Alright, the things you fixed are very improved. Keep in mind that the beat you feel may not be with the singer, though. I think at times you try to follow the singer too much, sacrificing the naturalness of the rhythm. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, try looking at your timing points again. There are times where it feels a bit behind the beat.

Easy:

I would add another verse and chorus to this. It feels short.
00:17:71 (4,1) - consider putting another beat between these two notes.

Hard:

There isn't a lot to comment on, but you might want to look at that rhythm again. It doesn't feel like it's following anything. I would say follow the guitar pattern. If you listen really close, it does go at that speed, but it doesn't have 1/4 beats where you do.
Gens
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mashley
Easy
WHAT THE FUCK
WHY DID YOU PUT THE HITCIRCLES BIGGER THAN THE MAXIMUM SIZE AAAAAAAAAAAAH

Anyway, the difficulties you have so far are <3
Poke me in irc when Hard is done
fartownik
Offset: 489

Na twoim miejscu nie mappowalbym początku mapy, bo po prostu nie da się tam czegoś sklecic do muzyki (Normal i Easy ujdzie, ale na Hardzie nie :P).
MrCheeze_old
First of all, I think you should just skip the Kiai time. It doesn't really fit the song.
I also agree with most of what other people said, such as the beats following the singer not the beat/rhythm. This is mostly just a problem on easy.

Not much else to say, I'm not very experienced and this is fairly average.

Star, because I feel guilty for saying so little after you said so much.
WyndII
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
CheeseWarlock
I got 106.56 BPM and 497 offset.

This song feels pretty 1/6 snap to me.
NoHitter
I hear A LOT of claps
Gens
XP song, duh. Of course.

I'm willing to do the hitsounds for you, btw, just lemme know if you agree. ;)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.