forum

Non-constant BPM: what to do?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chan
Just wondering, are there any solutions for songs with a non-constant BPM? And by that I don't mean songs which have more than 1 BPM, rather, fluctuating BPM. Two songs which I looked at and wanted to do were Stephen Speaks - Out of My League and Perry Como - Papa Loves Mambo. I felt pretty annoyed that they didn't have a constant BPM. Ditto for most live songs and orchestral music.
awp
Do you mean, adding multiple timing sections? I'm pretty bad at that myself, but some people're quite adept.

I find accelerating BPMs to be more of a problem myself...but that's what the Beatmap Help forum is for, right?
Topic Starter
chan
Nah, I'm not too worried about multiple timing sections due to a certain medley song. I mean like a song where there's supposed to be a constant BPM, but since it's like a live and acoustic concert, they speed up/slow down slightly. Even some non-live music is like that, unfortunately :(
peppy
1. Don't map it.
2. Use multiple timing sections and make a new one the second it sounds out of time.
3. For songs which can use a single bpm but change slightly throughout, disable grid snapping and use non-snapped placement to ignore the timing settings for parts that require it. (experts only, else your map will suck and not be ranked. think of the sliders when you do this).
Topic Starter
chan
Ok, so I've done step 1, now for step 2. Uh...
Yeah, screw those songs! *waits for peppy to finish love comes and goes*
awp
I just finished timing something with 24 timing sections

I'm not going to say what; it's a big surprise
Topic Starter
chan
I'm kinda doing a song like that. I wonder if we're secretly doing a similar project.
awp
It's...quite unlikely.

But yes, it's a possibility.

My beatmap is by no means super-long though, if that's what you're postulating.
Topic Starter
chan
Then most likely not. Timing a not so long song with lots of BPM changes must be hard though!
awp
Yeah it took me about 24 times as long as most beatmaps =X

actually a bit more than that; the longer the timing section the easier to tell if you're accurate.