forum

[Fanfic] - [Insert Game Title Here]: Gotta Cheer 'em All!!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FerreTrip
Here's mah BAYBEH, and one of the most important reasons I'm here. See, back in 2007, I began to write an EBA fanfiction to vent some fantasy episodes in my head that were inspired by a message board somewhere. (GameFAQs, maybe.) However, when I suddenly found myself with the realization that it would actually make for a good place for some episodes to occur, I decided to transport the team of OC Agent rookies (who work on Sweatin' difficulty) into the world of the Pokémon anime. Then, since I had already written out an episode for the Ouendan, and since it would be bad form for them to be oneshots, I later sent them there, too--hence the title of the fic.

Eventually, the fanfic grew be more than just a group of Agents traveling with Ash until they found a way home and a group of Ouendan (one Evening, two Mornings) trying to find said group of Agents so THEY can get home. It got to be an ENTIRE game's worth of songs--no, a bit more. There are officially 22 songs* sprinkled throughout the thirty chapters. (At the very end in the world's largest author's note, I made up a "true" songlist excluding three songs and reordering by difficulty to make it all fit after iNiS editing.) For each one, I thought like iNiS: What song would fit this situation? or (more often) What situation would fit this song? It was EXTREMELY hard, and each one came out decently enough, in my opinion. (Sadly, I could not think up an episode with a child as the target, which is a standby in the three games.) I determined what would be good parts to play, and where the breaks would be. (There were many times when I was scrounging for enough time in the break that the story would fit, or vice-versa, since I can't write short stories well and, resultingly, can't do break-storyboard events well.)

I think I put a lot of effort into the fiction, which is my first completed fanfiction ever (although there WILL be a sequel; it ended up intersecting with my major fanfic along the way, and in fact there is another mission present in the main major fanfic), and now that I have osu! and can make my own maps, I will. Why? I'm a frikkin' superfanboy nerd etc. and I want to make this fanfiction as real as possible. (I mean, who hasn't wanted to turn their fanfic into a game in the series the fic's from?) That, and it's fudging FUN and COOL as ALL GET-OUT.

Or, in short, I made an EBA/Ouendan fic that crosses over with Pokémon and includes episodes that I made up and I want to make maps to the songs in the fic because I'm a geek.

Regardless, that is the story behind this project:

FerreTrip's [Insert Game Title Here]: Gotta Cheer 'em All!! Beatmap Project!

So, then, on with the fun stuff!

:arrow: GOAL: To recreate my fanfiction in osu! form.
:arrow: TASKS:
  1. 0: Edit any songs that have been edited in the fic, at least if it is SERIOUSLY needed. (Example: RISE needs to be edited to have an abrupt ending.)
  2. 1: Make the 22 maps. For any pre-existing beatmap, ask to have it added on. For any song that does not exist or has been graveyarded (or if adding to a pre-existing map), create both a "Fanfic Version" and an "Extended Version". Details later.
  3. 2: Submit the maps online ASAP and, if possible, get them approved and/or ranked. Even if they're graveyarded, at least they're on the site so people who are interested can play through the maps.
  4. 3: At some point, STORYBOARD THE F***ERS. Probably after all maps are made (not submitted, need be). This means a LOT of drawing.
  5. 4: OPTIONAL: Include some authentic sounds like exclamations and other sound effects.
:arrow: STAFF: Me and me alone--at least for the maps themselves, although I will appreciate anyone who helps by modding a map that is submitted. Also, if anyone wants to help me out with the storyboarding, I will GLADLY accept it because it'll take an age. We would work together, of course--I suggest the actual storyboard (and give my idea of fail sections since none are in the fics yet--THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE), and we discuss any ideas you have if you have any. More likely than not, unless I had a GREAT idea for the perspective/way the storyboard section will be carried out, I would use yours because I'm too damn nice.
:arrow: DEADLINE: None. Why? I'm in college. If I set a deadline for something that isn't homework, either all my other stuff will suffer or my grades will. Hell, they have already because of it. AD/HD is NOT a good thing sometimes.

NOTE: What's the difference between Fanfic and Extended Version?
The difference is that the fanfic version my exclude some parts that would still be fun to play because of storyboarding. So, an Extended Version is created that is based off of the Fanfic Version (and from now on will actually be the Insane difficulty, perhaps with some extra tweaks; all Fanfic Version songs will be Hard difficulty). If the Fanfic Version goes through the song sensibly (read: no huge-ass breaks), an Extended Version will not be created.
Hard, Fanfic Version? Huh?
That at first meant it's what the "fangame"'s Hard difficulty would play like, but now they are two different categories. The difficulty is for the map itself, and the version tells which kind it is--the one with one or more long breaks or the one without. For some, it might also mean which Hard is a true Hard and which is the one for the fic (because some were thought up to be more or less difficult. Example: happiness!!! will be as difficult as the starting Hard songs).

→>SONGLIST AND PROGRESS<←

1. Brett: -:-Surf’s Up! Find the Lost Love through the Storm!!-:- Yellowcard – Ocean Avenue

:arrow: STATUS: Map preexists.
:arrow: PROGRESS: Not started yet.

2. (Bonus) Julian: -:-End of the Sweet Dreams? Save the Shop!!-:- Christina Aguilera – Candyman
:arrow: STATUS: New.
:arrow: PROGRESS: Fanfic ver. completed; Extended ver. unnecessary.

3. Ash (yes, that Ash): -:-Team Rocket Strikes Again!! Mission in Another World?!-:- OK Go – Here it Goes Again

4. Kojiro: -:-Break Tradition!! Will Both Parties Be Happy?-:- FLOW – GO!!
:arrow: STATUS: Submitted and pending!! +5
:arrow: PROGRESS: Both versions finished; modding underway until approved or otherwise.

5. Charizard (OT: Ash): -:-Use the Anger! Rescue Those Who Scorned You!!-:- Bivattchee – Taiyou no Mannaka he

:arrow: PROGRESS: Fanfic ver. finished, Extended ver. may be modified to become true Insane.

6. Travis: -:-Supernatural Frightfest! No Winchesters Here!!-:- The Faders – No Sleep Tonight
:arrow: PROGRESS: Both versions finished.Hard - Extended is now Insane - Extended.

7. Marin: -:-Breakout!! Make Like Shawshank and Then Some!!-:- Gwen Stefani ft. Akon – The Sweet Escape
:arrow: STATUS: Submitted and pending!! +1
:arrow: PROGRESS: Both versions finished; modding underway until approved or otherwise. Extended ver. may be modified to become true Insane.

8. (Bonus) Erin, Paul, and Eliza: -:-Forward March!! One Time at Band Camp!!-:- The All-American Rejects – Move Along
:arrow: STATUS: Map preexists, but is graveyarded.

9. Benishirina: -:-Defend the Spring!! Can Both Relationships Be Saved?-:- HYDE – SEASON’S CALL
:arrow: PROGRESS: Got to the end of what I'll map for the song; may extend a part to play through the instrumental.

10. Sooteye: -:-A Truly Extreme Challenge!! Skate For Your Home-:- Smash Mouth – All Star

11. Rosa: -:-Go For the Sky-borne Heart! A Battle to Earn Friendship?-:- Izawa Asami – FLY AWAY

12. Nozomi: -:-Housewife Woes! Crash Course in Parenting!!-:- Kimura Kaela – happiness!!!

13. (Extra) Rebecca: -:-Party Poopers!! Stop the Chaos!!-:- Vengaboys – We Like to Party!

14. (Bonus) Cecil: -:-Supermarket Situation! Be Brave and Prove It!!-:- Scapegoat Wax – Aisle 10 (Hello Allison)

15. (Unofficial; Will not be mapped) (Zante): -:-So, You Want to Be an Agent? Free Your Inhibitions and ROCK!!-:- FerreTrip – Let Loose

16. Kagome: -:-There’s More to Life!! Will They Listen for Once?-:- m-flo Loves Toku and DOUBLE – Life Is Beautiful

17. Fritz (and Kelly): -:-An Unwritten Letter-:- Seal – Kiss From a Rose
:arrow: STATUS: New, surprisingly.
:arrow: PROGRESS: Not started yet. May leave until near end for quality--this IS the sad song, after all.

18. (Bonus) Antonio, Lenore, and Johnny: -:-Lycantastrophy! Fight for Your Lives!!-:- Hoobastank – Without a Fight (Full Version)
:arrow: STATUS: Map preexists, but is graveyarded OR is the EBA1 version. *points to "Full Version"*

19. (Secret) Kotetsu: -:-Break Free! Can a One-Day-Old Escape Fate?-:- BEAT CRUSADERS – GHOST
:arrow: PROGRESS: Fanfic ver. finished, Extended ver. may be modified to become true Insane.

20. Abe: -:-Oh, Snap, It’s the 5-O! Playing Cops and Monsters!!-:- Bill Chase – Get It On

21. Jessie, James, and Meowth (and Wobbuffet): -:-Get to Work! A Steel Ball between Two Magnets!!-:- Hikaru Utada– KEEP TRYIN’

22. Both Worlds: -:-The Grand Finale?! Two Worlds' Last Shot!! Part 1-:- Yoko Kanno – RISE
:arrow: STATUS: Map preexists, but not this version, which shall be shortened.

23. Both Worlds: -:-The Grand Finale?! Two Worlds’ Last Shot!! Part 2-:- Aqua (Barbie Young remix) – Cartoon Heroes (Speedy Mix)

:arrow: STATUS: Pending, but not mine.

Wanna read the fic? I'd appreciate it if you read and reviewed here or there!

*I'm not counting the first chapter's song and the song I composed (well, began; I only did as much as the assignment in Music Theory called for, then left it alone--though I am planning to finish and produce it SOMEday) as "official", since the first would be implausible due to something that happens mid-song that breaks it up, and the second isn't even made yet and it's only a training thing.
Starrodkirby86
Hooooooly crap.

Best of luck on this. oAo I'd like to see a project like this pull through.
Topic Starter
FerreTrip
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gens
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
FerreTrip

Gens wrote:

I'm curious, though... Did you already:

1. Got a bit of playing experience in osu!? (Playing experience really makes a difference while mapping)
  2. Have someone to draw for you, or the necessary tools for it?
  3. Read the FAQ as how to map, etc.?
  4. Learned how to storyboard?
  5. Looked at m980's storyboards/maps? (It's the example you should follow)
I'm not trying to be mean, but this doesn't look very good... (I saw the comments on your GO!!! beatmap) (EBA + Pokémon = wtf >.>)
Good luck though! I'm a fellow fan of EBA/OTO, so I've always wanted to see something like this. :)
Well, I've been playing since...At least early September.
For drawing, I have PhotoShop 7 and--going against myself when saying this--I'm not the worst artist in the world. Someone to help draw WOULD kick ass, though, especially when I get to harder things (read: Kotetsu).
I haven't learned storyboarding yet because I'm focusing on mapping at the moment.
Not yet, but I'll look at them sometime.

(Sorry--Typo = loss of 1 take-you-seriously point. (That's a general rule of net life, in my experience.))

What does that mean, you saw the comments on my GO!!! beatmap?

...*repeats to self* "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..."

Thank you ^_^ (But to be frank, this was quite a mixed message O_o; )
Starrodkirby86
Gens is a second language speaker, so I guess some of those errors are a bit understandable. What I think he's trying to say is that a project like this would have its maximum potential when you yourself have veteran experience. First maps aren't always the prettiest works ever, for example. That's why he asked you all of that.

But seeing your passion for this is really nice and all ~ ^^
DeathxShinigami
I claim #16 m-flo loves Toku and DOUBLE – Life Is Beautiful <3
Gens
I suck, I know.
:(
Topic Starter
FerreTrip

DeathxShinigami wrote:

I claim #16 m-flo loves Toku and DOUBLE – Life Is Beautiful <3
(Damn! X3; )

You mean mapping or storyboarding? (Either way, we can talk. I've got a few ideas to use in the map, but otherwise I have nary a clue.)