forum

Lag Spike [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mosluv
Randomly throughout a map, I get a lag spike. The game just freezes for a couple of milliseconds which causes me to miss most of the time. It happens at least twice during a map.

I tried using Frame Limiter but it still happens. I turned off Shader Effect, Combo Bursts, Hit Lighting, Fire, Snaking Sliders, and even used Low-end PC but it still happens. Switched from DirectX to OpenGL and vice-versa and still no luck.

Right now I'm using these settings:

DirectX
Window 800x600
Frame Limiter off

My computer specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Intel 2.4 Ghz Dual Core
4GB Ram
nVidia 9500M GS

Any help appreciated :) !
anonymous_old
Has this always happened? Or is this recent?

If the latter, what have you installed recently?

Turn off AV programs, defrag your harddrive, and run a virus scan.
Topic Starter
mosluv
It started about 3 months ago I think? I didn't report it then because it didn't happen as much as these past few days.

I've defragged and ran a virus scan recently and I tried turning off my AV but the problem still persists.
krius_old
try downloading process explorer and launch it with admin rights.
and check if you get heavy CPU or I/O spikes every so often when system is idle. check which program is the cause, and kill it if you don't need it.

also just for the sake of testing try disabling services "windows search" and "superfetch" in services.msc, these may try accessing the disk while you are playing,
also check in your task scheduler, there may be programs that you can schedule to time where you don't play
Torran
osu! is getting greedy...Anyways, I think I've experienced a problem similar to yours before.
You can try this:
1. Use DirectX
2. Turn on Frame Limiter
3. Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Set it to a custom size of around 3000 MB > Restart your computer and try osu! again
anonymous_old

soradg123 wrote:

1. Use DirectX
2. Turn on Frame Limiter
OP said he tried this already.

soradg123 wrote:

3. Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Set it to a custom size of around 3000 MB > Restart your computer and try osu! again
This won't help at all unless he's severely running out of memory.
Torran

strager wrote:

OBJECTION! Have a look at this:

nexy wrote:

Right now I'm using these settings:

DirectX
Window 800x600
Frame Limiter off

strager wrote:

This won't help at all unless he's severely running out of memory.
It never hurts to try, ya know. For me, I have 2 GB of physical memory and osu! crashes after a period of time with virtual memory disabled. Plus, I'm still unsure if the problem Nexy is experiencing is the same as mine.
anonymous_old

soradg123 wrote:

strager wrote:

[...]

Nexy wrote:

I tried using Frame Limiter but it still happens. I turned off Shader Effect, Combo Bursts, Hit Lighting, Fire, Snaking Sliders, and even used Low-end PC but it still happens. Switched from DirectX to OpenGL and vice-versa and still no luck.
Torran
Oh I fail horribly... :(
Topic Starter
mosluv

krius wrote:

try downloading process explorer and launch it with admin rights.
and check if you get heavy CPU or I/O spikes every so often when system is idle. check which program is the cause, and kill it if you don't need it.

also just for the sake of testing try disabling services "windows search" and "superfetch" in services.msc, these may try accessing the disk while you are playing,
also check in your task scheduler, there may be programs that you can schedule to time where you don't play
I got process explorer but I have no idea how to read what's going on in there. I also do not know how to disable services or anything about the task scheduler D:! Some elaboration would be awesome.

@soradg123: I tried the Virtual Memory thing but the problem still happens.
anonymous_old

Nexy wrote:

I got process explorer but I have no idea how to read what's going on in there. I also do not know how to disable services or anything about the task scheduler D:! Some elaboration would be awesome.
If you do it yourself and don't know what you're doing, you'll probably shoot yourself in the foot. Do not attempt unless you understand fully the consequences.
Torran

Nexy wrote:

@soradg123: I tried the Virtual Memory thing but the problem still happens.
The only action I can suggest at this point is to check if your drivers are up to date, specifically your graphics card's:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Go there and update your driver, that is unless you already have the latest one, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Oh, and try telling us your computer manufacturer and model; more info always helps.

You can also try running the executable of HijackThis as an admin and do a system scan and post the logfile so we can see what's running that could make osu! lag.
Topic Starter
mosluv
My GFX Card Drivers are up to date.

Manufacture: Asus
Model: M51Sn

HiJack Logfile (I couldn't attach a .txt): http://pastebin.com/m5ae6249a

O.O!
Torran
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mosluv
Doubt my PC is overheating. It stays pretty cool, not even warm.
Torran
Have you ever experienced the same exact lag when playing other games on your pc?
Topic Starter
mosluv
Nope just osu! :?
Velguador
If you want to be absolutely sure your PC isn't heating up, download CPUCool and let it run while you play Osu!.

Also, I see that you're using Vista. You don't have a wireless internet card in your PC, right? If yes, Vista sets the thing to check for access points every 60 seconds, causing big lag spikes. I have no Vista, so I'm no expert, but I think you can try using WLAN Optimizer, and set it to disable the background scan.
http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/
peppy
The easiest way to figure out what is causing this is to keep task manage open while playing, and observe what processes are using cpu or disk read/writes at the point you feel the lag. If you aren't familiar with task manager, google some instructions on using it effectively.
ronado07
I also have this problem = =
show more