forum

[Archived] Machine lag causes misses on sliders

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mm201
I don't want to post this on Sifter yet since the reproduction is so flaky.

Basically, this is a variant of an old bug in CTB which had been fixed. In that bug, you would miss a fruit when machine lag occurred even if your character was under it.

This is similar but in osu! If your cursor is held down over a slider end (within the follow circle) and the slider ends during a machine lag, the slider end will be missed. This doesn't seem to happen for either rebounds or ticks.

Yes, slider ends don't break your combo, but it's still annoying when you're going for an SS or high score.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mm201
Since it's kind of tough to make machine lags happen on demand, no I haven't tried it on the latest builds.

I think I was on b1024 the last time I saw this. It isn't new; it's been around for a while.
Sumea
I would like a General thread for everything that causes these lags. I too fight against them.

For vista/Win7 (for me this is Win7 so it may not be in vista) - Windows media player file sharing - Turning off the service and process helped.

Rainmeter - sadly, I like it's look but seems have some impact.

Downloads - general, but they do use it.

MSN/xfire/Steam - Steam groups chats MAY cause some lag - Xfire online/offline notification sounds seem generate some of lag too (maybe fixable by disabling xfire sounds?) - MSN - not sure.

Browsers: As long as your machine is powerful, and the browser is not doing anything (I.e. - idling, not downloading) - it should NOT impact - Google chrome tested and does not add lagging.

A general thread and lists of these programs would be great.
anonymous_old
The problem isn't lag; it's how osu! is treating the lag. =|
Sumea
Any game does need hard disk and if there is something else using same hard drive osu needs to read it's files from the lag for Osu! is going to happen - It's not osu but someone else taking priority to use HDD.

Audiosurf is same way. Stepmania and various builds of it are wierd since they infact have some sort of optimized way to handle that but it still shows in overall performance (solid FPS etc.) - So stepmania takes the notes still even if lags occur.

Mostly it is not game's problem. After everything I listed on my list I eliminated such lags compeletly from my Osu! gameplay.

Be sure to restart your system sometimes too - mine tends to get choppy for games after being on for long times.
anonymous_old
Did you even read the OP?

I'm not oblivious to what causes many types of lag. The issue is how osu! handles the lag, not the lag itself. Rather than just lagging, it seems as if the cursor becomes unpressed if lag occurs only on slider ends. "This doesn't seem to happen for either rebounds or ticks."
Topic Starter
mm201
Thanks strager, but seriously, Sumea, -.-;

This post has NOTHING to do with removal of lag. This is impossible. Lag happens because of the way the Windows kernel works, and how it grabs real-time priority occasionally to do stuff, especially certain types of IO requests.

The issue at hand is how osu! handles the input it's given, and how slider ends aren't being handled as cleverly as other objects. Specifically, the state of the mouse (position, is held down) isn't preserved during the time when input is frozen because of lag, and osu! instead opts to assume that the mouse is not held down and causes sliderbreaks in these circumstances.

Again, I'll need to wait for a lag on a slider end to show up on its own to test whether or not this issue still happens on the latest builds.