forum

Forced skins are ridiculous, let us turn them off. [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi
YES I'M FULLY AWARE YOU'VE DENIED IT COUNTLESS TIMES
You know why I'm making this thread?
Because it's a STUPID decision.
It makes NO SENSE.
I believe the common reason for denying them is "Thats how the beatmaps are meant to be played"
Guess what?
I DON'T FUCKING CARE
Half the time the skins are ugly and/or distracting.
I like the skin I have chosen.
I chose it because its artwork and sounds were appealing to me.
I don't give a crap if User X loves their Random Anime skin to death and wants everyone else to check it out with their newest beatmap release.
I don't like it.
And even if I did like it, I'd just download the skin and apply it myself.
I shouldn't be forced to use a skin because User X wants me to.
I don't care if they think that their beatmap can only be perfect with their themed skin.
I don't care if YOU (the mods/admin) think that their beatmap can only be perfect with their themed skin.
You're wrong.
And even if you were right, and I was just being an irrational ass (which I'm not), I should still have the ability to protest a skin I don't like and turn it off.

All it takes is for peppy to add a little option in the options menu that says "Override custom skin with my chosen skin", have it on and your skin will always display over all others, have it off and people can make whatever skin they want for their song and it'll display just like it always has.

This is a simple option, it's basic coding that could be done in no time, it's a feature that any other customizable game would have from the start (or rather, most games wouldn't have forced skins in the first place), and it makes no sense to exclude the ability to turn off forced skins. This is just the development staff being stubborn, there's NO reason behind this, and, as I've said before, I don't give a crap if there was, I like my skin, and I want it to be displayed on every single song in my goddamn library.
anonymous_old
Go play another game.
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi

strager wrote:

Go play another game.
How immature.
anonymous_old
I'm being completely serious.
Rolled
I don't really understand why there isn't a toggle for this, but at the same time I don't understand why it would get you this uptight.
peppy
There is reason. Read my posts in previous topics of the same direction. I have already justified myself. Sorry but this is a final opinion.

One thing which may change is the ability to override the cursor. This will likely come next build as a lot of us decided this should be present as to not impede gameplay.

Yours truly.
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi

peppy wrote:

There is reason. Read my posts in previous topics of the same direction. I have already justified myself. Sorry but this is a final opinion.

One thing which may change is the ability to override the cursor. This will likely come next build as a lot of us decided this should be present as to not impede gameplay.

Yours truly.
There is no justification, you're just being a stubborn ass.
What, are you afraid that you'll hurt the beatmap creator's feelings?
All there needs to be is a toggle, why is that so hard for you to comprehend? Its a simple task, there's no reason NOT to have it.
THERE.IS.NO.REASON.

The only reason you can give is that "it's how the beatmappers wanted it to be played"
Do you not care about the end user?
What makes you think that the beatmap designer's opinion is greater than the user who is playing it?
I want an answer, I want a GOOD fucking answer, I want something that JUSTIFIES such a stupid restriction.
I like Osu, I want to play Osu, I will continue to play Osu regardless of anything, but why should I have to look at an ugly, horrible theme when playing my favorite song? I say, again, there is no reason, there is only you being stubborn.

And you know what?
I'm stubborn too.
I was here since the very beginning.
I want Osu to be even better.
And you, the creator, is restricting it's improvement.
This is a change that can only improve Osu, I cannot reduce the quality or usability of Osu.
And because I'm even more stubborn than you, I will not let this go.
I won't stand for someone to so fiercely demand that the quality of a product be stunted.
Especially when they have the power to fix it.
So, until you cave and realize that you are wrong, I will incessantly bother you about this.
But just remember, I'm only trying to help improve this wonderful game.
I hope you will understand :)
Rolled
dude it's a skin
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi

Rolled wrote:

dude it's a skin
EXACTLY
So why the fuck is peppy forcing people to use a required skin when its JUST A SKIN?
Why is he making every attempt to make it impossible for people to use the skin they want?
Why isn't there an option to opt out of this requirement?
If its JUST A SKIN (and it is) then why does he care that they remain intact so much?
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi
I just got done telling you people that I wasn't going to stop bothering you about it until you fixed this little error.
No, the skin is NOT as much a part of the beatmap as any hit circle, LuigiHann, to think that is completely stupid.
You are denying the users a simple feature that will only improve usability and quality of the game.
If the user wants to have a skin forced upon them, that's fine.
If the user does not want a skin forced upon them, then they should not have to use that skin.
There is, again, no logical reason to not include the option to turn off forced skins.

I'm beginning to think the staff here is full of idiots.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Zekira
Or you could just delete the skin from your folder if you hate it that much.
Topic Starter
Kanda Aoi

LuigiHann wrote:

If a specific skin is a specific map is hampering your ability to play the game, complain about that specific skin in that specific map's thread. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.
It seems I was right, the staff here is a bunch of idiots.
You don't seem to get it, do you?
It isn't about a specific skin.
It's about the mere principal that you're forcing people to use the skins when there's no reason to, and when a simple flick of a button could make everyone happy, whether they like forced skins or not.
All this is is stubbornness and stupidity on your part.
LuigiHann
Cyclone
I barely read anything in this thread, so please excuse me if i repeat anything.

Kanda Aoi, what you're doing it taking osu! from the completely literal standpoint. Literally, osu! is a game. With that mentality, you've taken a "Power to the Players" stance. What you've failed to realize is how much osu! really is. I'm not saying osu! isn't a game, but *who* do you think provides content for this game? Sure, anybody can just stick around and do nothing but play. I think what you've done is failed to realize the amount of time, effort, and creativity that goes into each of these beatmaps, let alone the skins and storyboards that can accompany them. Should all that go to waste?

Now to shift tone a little bit.

Kanda Aoi wrote:

What makes you think that the beatmap designer's opinion is greater than the user who is playing it?
Same same thing could be said in reverse. Actually, let's do that.

What makes you think that the player's opinion is greater than the user who made the beatmap?

Now let's make this a little more personal.

Even though a user HAS been around since September 2007, what gives HIM the right to call the staff stupid and idiotic? It hurts my feelings ever so slightly, but there's a bigger point i'd like to make. peppy works hard EVERY DAY to provide us with improvements and fixes to this game he has created. What the hell does he get in return? He get's threads like this with people calling him stupid, and saying that he's restricting the improvement of osu!. Dude, you don't even play every other month. You barely even have 100 total plays! How many maps could you have HONESTLY played in which this situation came up? It leads me to believe this whole thread was created over a single map, even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

Being stubborn is one thing, but once you started insulting people, you lost respect from me.
Mashley
Delete the skin. But dude, stop being a faggot.
peppy
I don't think anything more needs to be said. Case closed.

@KandaAoi: If you can't comprehend what has been said by Luigi/Cyclone, please kindly exit these forums, uninstall osu! and never come back. If you keep making posts of this nature I will be forced to take further action.

I also suggest you see someone about your general attitude/temper. It can't be healthy and you are likely to not live to your potential lifespan if you keep it up.