forum

What's your favorite Galgame?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pokedigi
Mine is When They Cry(ひぐらしのなく顷に), which is a perfect horror galgame (Excapt the pictures... too poor :( ). And Kanon(カノン), a tragedy love galgame. They are now both be Animeted! I suggest everyone to see them!
Cecilthemos
Galgame? A girl game or...what?
Mogsy
I think he means a doujin game.
awp
What the -

taken from Wikipedia:

Doujin games:

video games created by Japanese hobbyists or hobbyist groups (referred to as circles), more for fun than for profit; essentially, the Japanese equivalent of fangames

If Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) counts then that is definitely my favourite.
LuigiHann
Based on AWP's definition, my favorite is Osu :P
Cecilthemos
I'm with Luigi, Osu it is.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mogsy

LuigiHann wrote:

But I still wonder about "Galgames." I haven't heard of any of the examples Pokedigi mentioned, but is it a more specific type of "Doujin game"?
I believe he means the typical weeaboo definition: a dating sim game, featuring the main character interacting and dating the many female characters in the game. Kanon is an example of this, but Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When they Cry, in the OP) is not, as it is a text-based mystery, not a dating sim.
eirrol
*"Galgames" are used only in China, which meas that in this AVG type of game, drawn in Japanese anime style. You go over with a love story in it. "Shakugan no Shana" is a good example, hopefully everyone knows it...Sometimes there are sexual scenes in it, so they ranked it "18X".

I think Utawarerumono is the best. Although the offical version said it's "18X", but there is a ripped version that is for all ages.
Frost_old
Hmm..I would have to say Clannad or Da Capo 2. Both we're really good. I don't think a lot of people know what Galgames truly are. While its true that they are like dating sims, they more like visual novels as u don't get a lot of choices and when u do, it makes a pretty big impact( ie. your choices pick the girl your guy will be with).
Cecilthemos
Okay, by that definition of a galgame, I think I'll go with Harvest Moon (Getting married part).
Topic Starter
pokedigi

Cecilthemos wrote:

Okay, by that definition of a galgame, I think I'll go with Harvest Moon (Getting married part).
Galgame is AVG game. But in my opinion, galgame s not only love stories. It only needs many female characters. (When they cry should be a Galgame)
Demicol
So.. You mean Visual Novels or what? I've never heard of this weird term before..
LuigiHann
Sounds like it just encompasses "Dating Simulators" and similar products. Not having played any, I can't say I have a favorite. Unless Idolmaster counts. I haven't played Idolmaster either, but at least I've heard of it.
eirrol
So "GALGAME" is really hard to define. In order to understand this term, you need to be a super OTAKU and have a lot of experiences...
Topic Starter
pokedigi

eirrol wrote:

So "GALGAME" is really hard to define. In order to understand this term, you need to be a super OTAKU and have a lot of experiences...
Muhahahahaha so I am a Super OTAKU
Mogsy
I understand the definition but am nowhere near the weaboo level of actually playing these games.
awp
I'm still in the dark as to the actual definition of a "Galgame" - oh, thank you Wikipedia. I should have asked you from the start instead of wiki'ing rough translations.

Uh, does Dokidoki Majoshinpan for the DS count? I think that's the closest thing to a "Galgame" I have ever played, and given that it was in a language alien to my understanding (wouldn't you know it? Japanese!) I had no clue what I was doing and it took me 45 minutes of guessing to "clear" the first stage, at which time I gave up on the game.
Cecilthemos
Okay, now Harvest Moon doesn't seem anything like what a galgame is...so
Yeah...I'm going to stay away from whatever they are...
and just stick to farming, and using my hoe to kill monsters who may threaten my farm.
awp
Rune Factory was pretty cool.

Having to wait until winter for the next dungeon to open up made me stop playing though. Because it was like day 4 of summer when I unlocked it.
show more