forum

Optimus Rhyme - Obey the moderator

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
wiicademan
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, March 21, 2008 at 9:21:22 PM

Artist: Optimus Rhyme
Title: Obey the moderator
BPM: 103
Filesize: 1470kb
Play Time: 02:34
Difficulties Available:
  1. Crusin' (3.64 stars, 209 notes)
  2. Sweatin' (4.68 stars, 345 notes)
Download: Optimus Rhyme - Obey the moderator
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
6th(I think?) or 5th(somewhere around there) beatmap. Sweatin' is really hard(like, harder than JJF hard), and Crusin' is pretty easy. Would have made Breezin', but I was too lazy.

If someone had a higher quality mp3 of the song that I could have, I would love that.

EDIT: Re-uploaded the thing. I think it should work now.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm POSITIVE that there is an mp3 in the .osz now. Does anyone wanna look at this?

EDIT: I put some sliders in it, and I changed the be-at snay-ayppin' own the swe-atin' dee-ffahculteh.

EDIT: Fixed the incredibly minor beat spacing problems. I think. I don't even know anymore.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN:Did the stuff that awp mentioned. The image I added is from their album which this song is on.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN: The background should work now. I fixed the slider that was a quarter beat too long, and broke up the other slider that awp mentioned into a shorter slider and put a beat before it.
Rolled
There is no mp3 in your osz. Replace it, then do a full submission.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Ugh...

I tried re-uploading it, but the download link doesn't have the mp3 in it. I did a full submission, and on my version of the thing, it has the mp3. For now, I'll just upload the mp3 separately to put in the folder for the beatmap under the songs folder in the osu folder.

Download: Obey the moderator.mp3
awp
The mp3 is indeed included in the osz. It's all fine now.

I've only played sweatin' though. Timing's quite good I believe (haven't analyzed through editor because lately I've been a terrible moderator but you still have to obey me) as is beat spacing. The only real qualm I had with it is that it was mostly just tapping in rapid succession, ergo, it was slightly repetitive. Fortunately there are breaks every few seconds so if you fall behind/get ahead of the stream, you're not completely fucked, which is nice, but the beatmap does feel a bit long when patterns are too repetitive.

A more useful diagnostic/post to come later; I just don't want this thread to slip too far down the queue. It's nice to have some variety, and the humourous/applicable nature of the song strikes a soft spot - the second time around I took a closer listen to the lyrics and they are what I suspected. Also, doesn't this guy perform at PAX? That is awesome.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Yup. The guy also used to be the lead administrator of the official Nintendo forums.

I guess the song's repetitive because it's rap. And rap is pretty repetitive.
awp
You could always throw some sliders, perhaps some repeat sliders in there...y'know, mix it up a bit.

Wicca wicca wicca reeemix
Tapdancingmetroid
I remember Andy..... I personally think he wasn't the horrible admin everyone thought he was. :(

Anyway, the crusin' beatmap seems fine, though the beat spacing on the sweatin' difficulty still needs fixing.
Starred.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Uh... is it OK now?

I really don't like to bump things, but... yeah.
awp
After going over these maps, there's one thing that kept bothering me. Fortunately, it's really minor.

I think the offset is coming in 20 ms too late. I'd recommend setting the offset to 9720, then select all notes (hooray Ctrl+A) and resnap 'em.

For Cruisin' difficulty, there's a spinner that ends at 2:16:12 which is followed by a slider at 2:16:56 - this is not something you'd be expecting on a more relaxed difficulty. It might be best to simply remove the slider, and possibly put a hitcircle where the slider ended, at 2:17:29. That gives a second of breathing room, rather than about a third.

The slider at 2:30:69 sounds like it ends a quarter beat too early, and causes a bit of rhythmical dischord (imopinion).

Sweatin' sounds/looks perfect to me though. Other than the 20ms offset.

Also, if you can, find/make a background for it, and then rankable if you ask me.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
K.

Did that stuff.

I used the cover art from their album that this song is on for the background, but I don't know if I should use another image instead(only because it looks... more... background-y)
awp
background image didn't upload successfully - note that you'll have to do a full re-upload. The .osu files say to attach the background image, it's just not included in the .osz. Full Resubmission.

Unless it's just me that's broken.

The beatmaps themselves are rankable imopinion, so bubble pending the reupload

BUT

There's just a couple things I want to double-check:

Sweatin' - Slider at 2:10:73 - meant to start at 2:10:88? Slider at 2:16:71 - a quarter beat too long?

Sorry for missing these last time ;(
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Background should work now, I think. I did a full resubmission.

Just for authenticity, I'm gonna use the album art from this song's album.
awp
Background works now. I think it's good to go. There are some very minor spacing issues on Normal that I don't think are even worth bringing up (oops?) because it's only half of a grid level 2 snap diff and it's consistantly so.

Bababababubbled.
EiJi
They're not minor enough for me to rank this, sorry.

I'm sure I don't need to list the spacing issues on normal individually, they're not hard to see.
chan
I assume you loosely followed 0.7x beat spacing for sweatin'. For the sake of completeness,
[Sweatin']
00:27:63 - 10 is a bit far from the slider
00:41:18 - spaced a bit far for a 1/2 beat
01:56:32 - slider 3 should start closer to the end of slider 2

Cruisin' looks like it was a lot more lax with regards to beat/distance spacing. Some examples:

00:19:62 - distanced at 0.4x spacing using highest grid res
immediately following combo has 0.6x spacing

00:23:99 - the distance between sliders 2/3 and 3/4 are inconsistent, I think it would be better to stick to a fixed beat/distance spacing for the entirety of a combo.

I'm going to drop this back to a star, due to such inconsistencies. I really think that it's important for the playability of your beatmap to be consistent with beat/distance spacing, at least for combos. I'm a little less strict with enforcing constant spacing for an entire song, and I will grant that a few exceptional situations are sometimes acceptable, but generally, you should try to maintain consistent spacing for the entirety of your beatmap.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Wha?

My first beatmap, which was crap, got ranked, but not this one?

Uh... whatever. I'll fix the things chan mentioned.
chan
[Cruisin']
00:30:11 - beat spacing too far
01:05:50 - should start 1/4 beat later (@ 01:05:64)
01:14:96 - same as 01:05:50
02:26:03 - same as 01:05:50

[Sweatin']
01:13:80 - too close to previous note (you were pretty consistent until here)
02:24:28 - a little bit too far, this is pretty borderline on spacing variability, so I guess this is acceptable. I'd prefer to see it closer though.

Pretty close to ranking.

wiicademan wrote:

My first beatmap, which was crap, got ranked, but not this one?
Standards have drastically changed, since December 8. Also I did not mod your map, but I consider myself to be a bit more strict in modding. If I were you, I'd much rather have a map knocked back until it is good for ranking than just having a lot of ranked mediocre songs.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Nitpicking once again.

Cruisin
53:99 - Slider dips off the bottom of the screen. It's still totally playable, but it's bad practice. Bump it up a bit or reshape it or whatever, but avoid letting it slip off the screen, even marginally.
1:24:86 - the actual beat that I keep hearing is at 1:24:79, an eighth beat earlier.

Sweatin
I think it's fine but the timing seemed pretty off on occasion. However, I highly suspect it's due to the PC I'm on, because I'm not getting full FPS for whatever reason and gameplay visibly slows down in the editor, however slight, so I'll just request another mod look this one over. Spacing and placement issues seem fine to me.
Topic Starter
wiicademan
Fixed the things awp mentioned, and also changed the offset from 9720 to 9666(a relatively evil number, I know) and resnapped all notes. The bpm definitely sounds more accurate, but something feels off with the placement of the beats when I resnapped it. I'll need a mod(with a good computer) to look at it.
show more