forum

[Archived] Fans and woodchippers: a sound quality issue

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Silent Warrior_old
osu b1122
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
(this is a relatively new computer, but I got the XP downgrade)
Dell Latitude SF4
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU
P8700 @ 2.53GHz
2.53 GHz, 3.45 GB of RAM
Physical address extension
...and I don't know how to find any other information, but I can be walked through it

I already updated Osu! and don't have a firewall currently active. I looked through the FAQ and did a preliminary search through the bug reports.

The Osu! client works fine, and I can download songs and play them with little problem. However, while I am at the main menu or on the song selection screen, the music only remains clear-sounding for the first few songs. Soon, the music becomes canned-sounding and quieter, and it sounds like someone's singing through a fan. This effect also happens as soon as I select a song, as well. Some songs are clear enough that I can play them with little problem, but others sound like steel in a woodchipper.

Outside of Osu! my computer plays music just fine, and I've even loaded up the mp3s of the songs into a music player. Everything worked perfectly. Whatever the problem is, it seems to be limited to Osu!.
mm201
1. What is an Osu? :P

2. osu! is very sensitive to sound driver issues/compatibility. What sound card are you using and what driver version number? Unfortunately, driver-specific bugs are very difficult to reproduce on different hardware, so they often don't get fixed.

What you're describing sounds like a buffer underrun or the buffer cursor has made it to the buffer's seam.
anonymous_old
Try updating your sound drivers.
anonymous_old

Silent Warrior wrote:

it sounds like someone's singing through a fan.
That's just Hatsune Miku.
Topic Starter
Silent Warrior_old
1) What isn't it?

2) How do I find that out?

3) How do I update them?
anonymous_old

Silent Warrior wrote:

3) How do I update them?
If you're on an OEM machine (i.e. your computer was made by Dell or HP or similar), go to their site and look for driver updates for your computer.

Otherwise, figure out what sound card you have and find drivers from the manufacturer's site. Windows Update may help.
mm201

Silent Warrior wrote:

2) How do I find that out?
Start / Run. Type "devmgmt.msc"

Under Sounds & Audio Devices, look for the one that looks like a soundcard. Double click and go to the Driver tab.
anonymous_old

Silent Warrior wrote:

1) What isn't it?
Lowercase O, honey.