forum

About new combo spam.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
0_o
There is a common misconception about spamming new combos that I believe should be cleared up. Sure, a rainbow of new combos look pretty. And what's the harm, all it does is give you a hp boost, right?

Nope.

The actual hp drain of a map is not only decided based on how you position the hp slider. It is also determined by hitobject dispersement as well as new combos. The more new combos you have in your map, the higher the hp drain will be. I have seen a few cases where a map had a median combo length of 8-10, but with random new combo spams thrown in, and the hp bar actually goes down in auto until the combo spams are hit. I'm fairly certain I have seen this in at least one recently ranked map (don't remember which right now), and several other times in pending maps that BATs have already modded (and did not point out)

So yeah, basically my point is that combo spam should be modded more carefully. It isn't a huge issue with maps of lower hp drain, but in any map with drain >=7 and it can really get screwed up.

[/rant]
[discussion]
Gabi
i don't mind the hp drain but what i do mind is the flow/rythm of the songs, and what instruments/vocals are being played or sung so they should fit the combo colors. Using it for design is okay sometimes aswell i guess. I think it is alright to "abuse" these sometimes however it better be with a good reason. basing your maps on other charts from games and shit like that is stupid IMO.
rust45
I think as long as the mapper doesn't have too many new combo spams, say only about 3 at parts where it really works well, then it's fine, And if the HP drain is bad, you can always just use the HP drain bar instead of changing up combos.
GladiOol
Not to be an ass, but please point those maps out, I'm curious~
lukewarmholiday

Gladi wrote:

Not to be an ass, but please point those maps out, I'm curious~
Indeed, HP drain rates have always been one of my pet peeves.
Topic Starter
0_o
Well here's one ranked example

Tsunku - Ping-Pong (Melody Master)

The hp bar stays in pretty much the same spot until the end of a combo (get the hp bar at 50% or so and leave it on auto to see for yourself)
Now remove the combo spam. Better isn't it?

I'm sure there are more ranked maps like this, I mostly find them in pending maps that I correct but this really is something BATs should look out for.

EDIT: More:
Gunther - Teeny Weeny String Bikini (Hard)
Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music (Hard)