forum

MC the MAX - Returns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Elises_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, January 01, 2010 at 12:59:06 PM

Artist: MC the MAX
Title: Returns
BPM: 156
Filesize: 4077kb
Play Time: 03:41
Difficulties Available:
  1. Gaikoz (4.43 stars, 412 notes)
  2. Gorgos (3.37 stars, 126 notes)
  3. Kaze'aze (4.92 stars, 566 notes)
Download: MC the MAX - Returns
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
First beatmap set by myself, and I've got to say I'm quite pleased with it. Rankings are allocated by the level for each boss in GrandChase, the game from where my name originated (Ex: Gorgos is about lvl 15, Gaikoz is around lvl 30, and Kaze'aze is around lvl 45.)

I have it set up so that by the time you can pass Gorgos with ease (without missing a note or while using difficulty-upping mods) you should be ready to try Gaikoz, etc. Hopefully this will help those of you who are still getting adjusted to the game to learn quicker.

I also want a quick poll, should I turn down the circle size on Kaze'aze's difficulty? I felt that ruins the fun and makes the hard jumps even more screwy, but then again, this is supposed to be the hardest difficulty. Thanks for your advice.

-Elesis

Edit 1: Re-snapped notes in Gorgos's difficulty. Edited timing in specific areas.
Edit 2: Re-organized notes on Kaze'aze's difficulty, to increase difficulty.
Edit 3: Re-organized notes on Kaze'aze's difficulty, to increase difficulty.
Edit 4: Added preview points (all difficulties)
Edit 5: Misc. almost time for BAT interventions?
Edit 6: Aesthetics on Gaikoz
Edit 7: Aesthetics on Gorgos. Reloading full file with tags
Edit 8: Saved Kaze'aze's difficulty, Fully re-submitted
Edit 9:Misc.
Edit 10:Misc.
Edit 11:Ticks, Misc.
Edit 12: Here and there, small things.... Small flying rodent time?
Edit 13: Misc. Storyboard requests I cannot fill. Help on adding a "Speed up!" message?
Edit 14: More random stuff. How many stars does this need to start having BAT's on it??
Edit 15: First BAT star. YAY! Edits on all diffs (To be cont.d)
Kytoxid
Welcome to mapping. ;) Nice first map.

[General]

Try BPM 156? I don't think the 0.01 will have much of an effect.
Source? Tags?
Consider setting the background colour to black.
Needs a preview point; this can be set by scrolling to the point in the map you'd like to set as the preview point and going Timing -> Set Current Position as Preview. Make sure this is done for every difficulty.

Unnecessary timing sections:
3. Offset: 10,841ms BPM: Inhereted (0.5x)
4. Offset: 13,148ms BPM: Inhereted (0.5x)

If so much of your map is in 0.5x, consider just halving the slider velocity and then doubling BPM for the one section.

Consider using a smaller-sized grid for grid snap.

[Gorgos]

00:10:045 (3,4) - Spacing.
00:18:053 (7,1) - ^
00:25:064 (8) - New combo? (spacing too, but it's pretty evident that it's not consecutive)
00:51:099 (7) - I'd avoid concealed sliders on your easiest difficulty.
01:02:057 (2,3) - On easier difficulties, it may be better to shift this back by 1/2 to stick to 1/1 beats for as much as possible. (true for the entire map, but I'll just mention it here once)

[Harder difficulties]

I took a quick look through the other difficulties, they look alright. The main issue is the length causes long combos. To be honest, the highest difficulty is not THAT hard, so the 11m score is pretty easy to hit, which is an issue. I thought the circle size there is perfect though, any smaller and it'll be more of an annoyance to play. (Nintendo Hard rather than a fun hard). Of course, you should still check the spacing throughout.

I don't know if anyone's told you, but within the editor there's an automatic modder called AIMod that can be called upon with Ctrl-Shift-A. It's really picky with spacing and stuff though, so don't bother fixing everything.

Have a star, and good luck!
Topic Starter
Elises_old
Thanks a lot. a few things I want to add/ want to ask. First off, no, I had never heard of the AImod, I tried it out, and it's alright, but sometimes it will call something a mistake and later will not call the same thing a mistake =/. but yeah, If I was feeling pretty lazy, I would definitely try using it, thanks for that.

Second, I don't understand what you were getting at when you said:

Kytoxid wrote:

Can you mean what you meant when you singled out these two points on the timeline? I looked for timing points with those offsets and there were none =(.

Third, I added tags, but I don't get what they want out of "source" are they asking where I recieved the song from? my pictures? my combobursts? I should probably know what they mean but I looked at all the tutorials and not a single one explained =/.

Well, I'd prefer to be called an idiot or "slow" for not knowing these things rather than for having no mapping skill, because I really do love beatmapping =D. Thanks for your knowledge.

Last thing, I attempted to juice up the difficulty on Kaze'aze a bit and even after increasing the spacing for the rapid sliders and unstacking a lot of the repeated beats it still seems a bit easy for 11m, you're right. Any ideas for giving it a little extra kick?

Thanks again =D
EnPassant
I've been thinking of some things that you may have missed in creation, and by the time I got back to post a few, Kytoxid got all of the ones I spotted.. and more =\. But I could give a bit of advice on how to make it harder, since that's really all I can suggest at this point =D

1. Instead of increasing the separation on the speed-sliders (you know what I mean) you could run them past each other or go into a pattern of four. I hope you understand what I mean by each of these, because I can't explain it very well. I'll probably just confuse you =(

A pattern of four would have them overlap themselves like a grid.

# <--- This is as close to a diagram as I can get here XD

2. You could increase the distances of the notes in the slow parts. my only example is one of the metal gear solid themes, the original, when the song shifts down a gear, the beatmapper increased the distance of the notes to bring it up to par with the rest of the song's difficulty level.

3. (Please don't use this one) You can drop the circle size as a last resort. this should easily make up for the light difficulty, especially if you increase the spacings a bit.

I really like where this beatmap is going. Star, and i hope it helps.
Kytoxid

Elises wrote:

Thanks a lot. a few things I want to add/ want to ask. First off, no, I had never heard of the AImod, I tried it out, and it's alright, but sometimes it will call something a mistake and later will not call the same thing a mistake =/. but yeah, If I was feeling pretty lazy, I would definitely try using it, thanks for that.

Second, I don't understand what you were getting at when you said:

Kytoxid wrote:

Can you mean what you meant when you singled out these two points on the timeline? I looked for timing points with those offsets and there were none =(.

Third, I added tags, but I don't get what they want out of "source" are they asking where I recieved the song from? my pictures? my combobursts? I should probably know what they mean but I looked at all the tutorials and not a single one explained =/.

Well, I'd prefer to be called an idiot or "slow" for not knowing these things rather than for having no mapping skill, because I really do love beatmapping =D. Thanks for your knowledge.

Last thing, I attempted to juice up the difficulty on Kaze'aze a bit and even after increasing the spacing for the rapid sliders and unstacking a lot of the repeated beats it still seems a bit easy for 11m, you're right. Any ideas for giving it a little extra kick?

Thanks again =D
Heya. (I actually read people's comments on my mods, wow, right?)

AIMod screws up at times; if the bar is green, that means it's fine, if the bar is red, that means there's an issue. Of course, it's not that great, it's more just for a pre-submission check on time snapping and preview points.

I found timing sections at those time points on the easiest difficulty to mark off a slider despite the fact that nothing changed between timing sections. I haven't re-checked the map, but as a whole, it's not as much of a big deal, just a neatness thing for the editor.

Source is where the song was originally published/whatevered from. In other words, if I was doing a song from a video game, I would include the game title as the source while the actual composer/artist as the artist title. More controversial is including an album name as source. When I mod, I just point out that it's blank as a reminder; sometimes, a song just doesn't need a source.

Generally, to make a beatmap a more fun "difficult", you try to place either more notes, more spaced out notes, or faster sliders/spinners. Unfortunately, more notes -> higher score, which isn't really a solution, so you could either add jumps (make sure they're intuitive and fit the song), increase your slider velocity (please keep it reasonable), increase distance spacing between notes, etc...

If you're out of ideas, sometimes the only thing you really can do is to find an intuitive spot and end the map early, if you really have to. That takes a chunk out of the score without really hurting difficulty, but it's often hard to find such a spot to end the map at. If you do this, make sure you do the same thing on your other hard difficulty. Possibly also consider opening Audacity and fading out the MP3 at that point.

Good luck!
Topic Starter
Elises_old

EnPassant wrote:

1. Instead of increasing the separation on the speed-sliders (you know what I mean) you could run them past each other or go into a pattern of four.

A pattern of four would have them overlap themselves like a grid.

# <--- This is as close to a diagram as I can get here XD
Possibly, I'll definitely take this into consideration

EnPassant wrote:

2. You could increase the distances of the notes in the slow parts. my only example is one of the metal gear solid themes, the original, when the song shifts down a gear, the beatmapper increased the distance of the notes to bring it up to par with the rest of the song's difficulty level.
Yeah, I know the song. the one real problem is that with MGS, the beats were all same separation in timing, whereas mine aren't =(. to do that with all , or even some of the slow areas would be a real pain, and pretty unintuitive.

EnPassant wrote:

3. (Please don't use this one) You can drop the circle size as a last resort. this should easily make up for the light difficulty, especially if you increase the spacings a bit.
I'll restrain my urges, as much as I can, at least. Thanks for your 2 cents. If I get 48 more I'll be able to get myself something off of a value menu in a few weeks, after our Thanksgiving leftovers are out =D
Topic Starter
Elises_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Sieghart_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Elises_old
Thank you for that. Gorgos is meant to be slow and maintains the focus on timing. The whole reason the notes are slow is to really encourage good timing in newer players, I hope it helps them in the end. As for colors, I was trying to pick colors that wouldn't stand out too much, stand out too little, or became annoying for Kiai mode (I.E, white, yellows, anything with a very bright hue.) I'll keep mixing them up to try to find a really good set though.

nice username by the way =D.

-Elises.
Sieghart_old
Not a bad idea really. Just remember to keep it in the right colors. And Thanks for the compliment. If anyone here wouldn't mind while we're at it, I just uploaded a new beatmap and tell me what you guys think. I hope you enjoy it.

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/42403
Shinxyn
hopefully its not just me, but the mp3's missing (from the site), please full submit, then PM me again >:
Tanmak
Diasios

Tanmak wrote:

eh....

Re-full upload please..

If I download this file then, I cry out, what a too small file size which is 11.0 KB..
This mean, there is not music file.

so I can't mod. :(

When you reupload, then I will mod again.
Exactly D:

"Error loading audio for this beatmap..."
Topic Starter
Elises_old

Shinxyn wrote:

hopefully its not just me, but the mp3's missing (from the site), please full submit, then PM me again >:

Tanmak wrote:

eh....

Re-full upload please..

If I download this file then, I cry out, what a too small file size which is 11.0 KB..
This mean, there is not music file.

so I can't mod.

When you reupload, then I will mod again.

xxheroxx wrote:

Exactly D:

"Error loading audio for this beatmap..."
Sorry for that guys, after reuploading it one of the last times (most likely after setting a preview time) the song wasn't being recognized for upload =(. I fixed it though. =D
Diasios
Mod Infos:

Green: Suggestions.
Orange: I think you should fix this.
Red: You must fix this.

Starts Suggestions:

Offset = 75 (resnap all notes)

[Gorgos]

Add kiai.

[Gaikoz]

00:25:064 (9) - New combo

[Kaze'aze]

02:34:048 (6) - New combo

Starred~
Topic Starter
Elises_old
Thank you, got that all fixed.
Topic Starter
Elises_old
mispost =P
Tanmak
Hello~~

[Gorgos]
00:34:305 (3) On purpose? I think make to extend this note. And then arrange distance between note.
00:46:612 (1,2) Spacing?

[Gaikoz]
All note unsnapped. You must resnap them.

00:13:922 (5) Clap. (Head part only)
00:20:074 (5) ^
00:20:843 (2) Remove clap.
00:21:228 (4,5) Clap. (Head part only)
00:55:458 Kiai till 01:20:073.
01:07:766 (1,2,3) Spacing?
02:01:034 (3,4) Stack or space?

[Kaze'aze]
This difficulty where are all note unsnapped, too. You must resnap them.

00:13:920 (7) Clap in head part.
00:20:074 (6) ^
00:21:228 (5,6) ^

Starred~
Topic Starter
Elises_old
I made all of the adjustments, except for:

Tanmak wrote:

because I didn't want to exaggerate the earlier chorus, because although cool, it isn't the climax of the song. I use Kiai there in Gorgos because the song ends after that, so that was the best part of it.

Thank you, though =D
Shinxyn
yay, mp3's here >:

Gorgos-
Wtf? why do you have two timing panels at the start (one unused at 300BPM) AND, the why is the bpm 156.002? remove the .002
First note isn't snapped (neither it is for the other two diffs~!)
00:19:030 (1) - spacing!
Meh, its okay

Gaikoz- The bpm is 156.002 here, too, remove the .002
not too bad though.. please respace EVERYTHING with a smaller grid size (press "G" in editor), there's too many note for this large grid size, it makes some of the patterns look confusing
... since I asked you to respace everything, I won't point out odd spacing, you can check that yourself

Kaze'aze-This is quite nice, cuz of the higher spacing, don't need to use a smaller grid for this~
That 2x slider section -doesn't- match the music's pace at all, if you want something that feels faster, just make jumps instead!
By the way, go under Timing >Resnap All Notes, everything's unsnapped, lol

The hitsounds are okayish, but there are some notes that have a hitsounds for the sake of needing hitsounds it seems >:
show more