forum

Perma-Flashlight Mod [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Shinde
I always worry when I click 'New Topic' in Feature Requests or the Help thread.

Anyways, what I'm suggesting/asking for is a non-ranked mod that acts the same as Flashlight, except it stays small even after you miss a note. For people trying to learn/memorize maps using Flashlight, or at least for me, if I miss I may as well restart, because at that point the Flashlight scope resets and memorization isn't much of a part anymore.

If it stayed the same size through misses, or just gradually got smaller as if you were still FC'ing, it would be a lot easier to learn maps with FL. You wouldn't have to restart just because you dropped a note and the scope reset, so you know what an FC run's vision radius really looks like.

Whenever I drop a note say at 250 combo and finish the rest of the song without a miss, it's common for me to think 'Well I just need to hit that note and I can FC it.' but that really isn't the case. Often I'll just drop one 30 notes later that I thought I had 'memorized.' HR, DT, and Hidden's difficulty mod all remain constant regardless of hit/miss due to their nature, and I just think having an option for something similar with Flashlight would be helpful.

At the same time I don't think it would be too hard to code? (Otherwise I wouldn't bother asking. ><;) I know nothing about coding, so I could be completely wrong though. T_T;

Think that's it. Hoping to hear what some other FL players think.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I actually thought about this, but came against it.

You could use a flashlight cursor if you wanted to.
Topic Starter
Shinde

Gemi wrote:

I hate mods that encourage that for the sake of points and not just for the sake of fun.
Actually, I pretty much love the FL mod. Some songs it just makes more fun, kind of like DT on some songs, or HR for songs with overly large circles.

Gemi wrote:

If it was up to me, I'd say remove the point bonuses from all mods, and remove all point penalties too and make those mods unrankable.
I can't even begin to imagine this. I feel that the modifier system has helped osu! retain a sense of competitiveness and originality. Some songs just need a bit more difficulty tacked on to them, and especially for people trying to get rank 1 on a song. If mods had no bonuses, on a large amount of songs, all you'd need is an SS to tie for 1st place. Pretty sure that'd have an adverse effect in general. Mose people have a mod of choice as well that they like playing with if possible. This wasn't so much relevant to my request, just saying.

strager wrote:

If the rest of the responses are negative, this actually isn't too bad of an idea I suppose. I could probably do this, to a lesser, more linear effect.
Daru

strager wrote:

If the rest of the responses are negative, this actually isn't too bad of an idea I suppose. I could probably do this, to a lesser, more linear effect.[/quote]

A flashlight cursor that encompasses the entire screen will make your system lag far more than it does now unless you're playing on a render farm or something. If you're going to do this, make a cursor large enough to cover the most forgiving flashlight difficulty, but on par with the most difficult.