forum

Extracting zip file... for 5 hours? [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
*violently destroys computer*

OK, here's the info. I haven't played Osu! in a while, and I want to get back into it. I ran osume.exe and started updating. It said it was extracting 'osu.zip', so I left it for about 5 hours. When I came back, it was STILL apparently extracting... even though the file it was supposedly trying to extract (that dll file) hadn't changed at all.

I've tried repeatedly to no avail. I even tried extracting manually and restarting the updater, but it just downloaded and tried to extract it again.

I'm running Vista (I know, it's a piece of {insert rapid cussing in latin here}) on an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. For the record, the updater *used* to work.
peppy
I would suggest you try deleting the dll file itself. It may be the case that it was in use by a ghost copy of osu!, or maybe windows explorer.

For the record, I use vista on my primary dev machine and am quite fond of it ;).
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
I've tried just about everything, unfortunately. Deleting the .dll, installing anew with the latest osume, deleting the .dll and the .zip... I just don't understand why it's doing this.
peppy
Please take a read through this thread.

Try downloading the files manually and then tell me if you can use online features in-game. If you can, I will change the updater tomorrow to use the new net-code, as it will make it a lot more reliable (assuming it works for you, that is).

Thanks
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
Yup, it works now and I can use the worldwide score thing with those direct links.

The weird part is that my problem isn't my internet; it's extracting osu.zip.
peppy
Sorry, I totally missed that part.

I'll do some investigating into this one tomorrow - its on my list :).
chan
I encountered a similar problem when I ran Osu! from my 4GB thumbdrive. It took me about 1 hour.
My temporary "solution" was to let osu.zip download until it was complete, then quit the updater and extract osu.dll automatically from the zip file. Saved me a heap of time, but I now also try to run my updates on my HDD rather than USB thumbdrive.