forum

Initial update not working?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
Hi. I guess I should have introduced myself in the Introduction forums...Anyway, I have trouble getting the updater to run for me (for the first time) and I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I've met the necessary requirements for the game, allowed connections in Norton, but I keep getting something like "Connection failed - please try again later" even though I can see the news in the update window. I ran the update during different times and this error kept popping up without fail, even during the major public release (err...what...?). Am I missing something? By the way, I have already checked the other thread which somewhat relates to the Update problem but it didn't help me at all. Oh, I'm using "osume.exe" from this site's download section, in case you're wondering.
peppy
This could be your Internet Explorer security settings - I know on some installs it will block all downloads (that's Microsoft for you). Even if you do not use IE as your default web browser, this may be prohibiting you from downloading the files necessary. Please check if you can download files using internet explorer (exe, zip, dll) and get back to me.

an example is: http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osu!.exe

You should check in particular: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level > Enable Download
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
ok...I checked my settings, it's fine before...by the way, it's strange, but the exe I used in this topic gave a different error this time. check my attachment for details (gimme a sec...I'm gonna use photobucket or some other site for this...).

By the way, could it be the fact that I'm using IE6, which in turn caused osume.exe to not update properly?
peppy
It works fine with IE6 - I use this on all my development machines. Do you have a proxy set to access the internet by any chance? Also I can't see your attachment *(
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
Erm...my proxy is turned off...oh and this was what I wanted to attach. I just found out I can't attach bmps. Attachment is over here
peppy
That exe was just to test your downloading in IE - it won't do anything on its own.

Are you 100% sure you don't have windows firewall or any other software blocking traffic? This is quite a strange problem - especially if you can see the changelog loading in the updater - this uses the *same* method to retrieve data from the net.
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
I find it puzzling too...For the "softwares", I'm only using AVG Free and Norton Internet Security 2006, and I'm highly positive I don't have any other softwares blocking it, and I don't normally activate Windows Firewall at all.
peppy
I feel very unsure about that Norton app you have running. I bet it is seeing a DLL file being downloaded and blocking it automatically. Can you try with it totally disabled?
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
I've disabled as much I could...no result whatsoever :cry: . Erm...could it be because I'm running the updater under a wireless network?

Edit: Hmm...would it make a difference I had the updated version of osume.exe with all the files already created in the folder? At the moment, the folder still has just a lonely osume.exe in it....
peppy
When osume is run, it should *download* other files to the folder it is placed in. Make sure it is on a local hard drive and has sufficient permissions to perform this.

Before you get the connection failed message, does it say if it is trying to update any particular file?
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
No...it was "Checking for Updates" for about 20 seconds before the error occurs (in other words, the updater seems to be always getting timeouts)...I don't think it has something to with the permissions because most of my other files work fine, as I'm always running my computer under Administrator privileges, and yes, the folder is on a local hard drive (ie. C:\Osu). Hmm...another thing, can it run on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (or whatever the latest SP is, because it has been so long since the latest update for this OS)?
peppy
can you access http://osu.ppy.sh/release/update.php ?

edit: also add me on msn if you want to fix this faster.
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
Erm...yes...(and I see some PHP syntax too (at least that's what I think it looks like))

Side note: if I can't solve this within 3 more replies or so, I'll add you on msn. I just find it pretty awkward to trouble you to that extent by adding you just for this...
peppy
p3ppy@msn.com
or
#osu on irc.enterthegame.com
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
Sigh...oh well...I just added you on msn...
RemmyX25
This has happened to me before with previous builds. Try this-

Open the folder wherever the updater is, run the update, and watch the folder. Does at least one file appear before failing at connecting?
Topic Starter
FFFanatic
Nope, not one file. Anyway, peppy suggested on msn that it could be my norton. But then again, the problem is still occurring...