forum

Noriyuki Iwadare - Pursuit ~ Cornered 2004

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chimney_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 12:01:34 PM

Artist: Noriyuki Iwadare
Title: Pursuit ~ Cornered 2004
BPM: 163.18
Filesize: 2645kb
Play Time: 01:30
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.25 stars, 79 notes)
  2. Normal (2.15 stars, 109 notes)
  3. Normal (3.62 stars, 177 notes)
Download: Noriyuki Iwadare - Pursuit ~ Cornered 2004
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hello ;D This is my first beatmap. I know that it's terrible. But please, give me criticism ;D i really need it. I want to be a good baetmapper XD thanks ;D I tried updating it a bit. I know its still bad, but I think it got a little better :) OK! This is the final upload of this beatmap. I took everyone's advice, and tuned it up a lot. I hope you all like it!! :)

*Note* In my never ending quest to get a ranked beatmap, I added a new diffuculty level. The hard is the original, the easy is the second. And now presenting, the third difficulty! I made it in a new normal diffuculty. Now I Ive got three difficulties lololol
Upsilon_old
You need to start new combos...currently you only have one for the whole map going up to 116. :|

Timing is wrong.
Kharl
Congratulations on your first map. ;)

In order to improve your map, I strongly suggest you read the FAQ regarding beatmap making, starting from "What are Combos?" onwards. You can also try playing more ranked beatmaps, as map making can be learned through observing the good examples too.

As for the timing, here's my suggestion:
BPM: 149.35
Offset: 360
Topic Starter
Chimney_old
Thanks for all the tips ;D i really appreciate them ;D And thanks for the offset and BPM. I really really needed them :)
Sinistro
I took a quick look at your beatmap yesterday. I'm at work now, but I'll try (emphasis on "try") to give an analysis a few hours from now. For now, I can tell you that, while you still have a rather long way to go, you show a few signs of improvement compared to last time! Off the top of my head, here are some serious problems that are still present:

- Too long combos. Combos should usually be 15-18 at most, "At most" means that even if you keep that limit, not EVERY combo needs to be 15-18 beats long.
- Beat spacing is still not really followed, beats are randomly placed. Come on, it's easy to fix that! Just press the Distance Snap button to turn it on and drag each subsequent beat around before placing it to see where the Distance Snap suggests you to put it.
- I haven't checked how close you got with the timing, but what is definitely wrong is that each difficulty has its own bpm. :?: It's the same song! BPM doesn't affect difficulty at all, in case that's what you thought.
- You still place beats while the song fades away. Don't place any beats after the song starts fading out. I'll give you the exact final point later.
---------------------------------
I'm back home, so here we go: OK, if you read my post at your thread in the Beatmap Help forum, you remember that we start by timing the map. First of all, I see that a mod gave you earlier a suggestion on bpm and offset, but none of the three difficulties use it! I don't understand why you did that...mods are not gods, but they do have lots of experience and the timing values they give you are always, at worst, really, really close. So, please change all three maps to have an offset of 360 and a bpm around 149,25.

Now, play the song while listening to the metronome ticks in the Timing Screen. This will help give you experience on how the whole beats (the different clicking sound heard when the ball at the slider reaches the slider's left edge) should match the tempo of the song. You can also watch how the lights at the upper right light up. I can't explain that with words in a useful way, unfortunately, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. With more experience, this process will come more intuitively to you.

Now that you have some understanding of what correct timing sounds like, let's move on to resnapping. You probably placed the beats by ear, and the good news is that much more beats than before are placed in the right points in time - that shows you're getting a good ear for that sort of thing! But now that the timing's changed, we need to resnap. Choose the Resnap command from the Timing tab at the menu. Now, odds are that even some correctly placed beats have been shifted to the wrong place. On the positive side, you are now confident that lots of your beats will fall on white lines, many at red points, some, perhaps, at blue lines, and practically none at yellow lines. Play the song again, at the compose screen this time, at a lower speed if you need, and listen carefully. Then, nudge beats that you think are sounded too early or too late in relation to the song.

You should also Recalculate Slider lengths, which will unfortunately probably force you to change the length of your sliders manually after that. It needs to be done, though. On that subject, I find a slider speed of 2,20 to be far too fast, but that's just a subjective opinion.

After you have placed correctly on the timeline as many beats as possible, it's time to take care of beat spacing. Like I said in the other post, this means that beats that are heard close to one another should also be positioned close to one another. The opposite is also true. For this, just click on the Distance Snap button. Then, beginning from the second beat in your beatmap, click and start dragging each beat. You'll see that you'll only be able to move a certain distance around the previous beat. That's Distance Snap at work; it tells you where each beat should be placed in relation to the last according to their difference in time. You can override this to place beats on top of each other, but don't overdo it. Also, try arranging beats in patterns, not strewn every which way on the screen.

About the fade-out, you should stop placing beats after 1:24:00. Let the song fade out at the results screen.

Don't forget to test your beatmap often through all of this. Have the song play at the Compose Screen, the Timing screen, and test play it lots.

Whew! I think that's enough for now. Try to follow the above for all three difficulties and I believe your beatmap will be cleaned up considerably.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.