forum

Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 05 March 2008 at 14:41:01

Artist: Daft Punk
Title: Harder Better Faster Stronger
BPM: 123.5
Filesize: 3792kb
Play Time: 03:40
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.7 stars, 170 notes)
  2. Normal (2.63 stars, 268 notes)
  3. Hard (4.3 stars, 392 notes)
  4. Insane (4.78 stars, 392 notes)
Download: Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
I know that there's already a ranked beatmap for this song but I played it and it wasn't at all like what I had envisioned for the song, so I decided to write a beatmap for it as a "first attempt".

Note that Insane difficulty is just Hard difficulty mirrored vertically and "sped up" a la the original games.

Since it's a first attempt I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. Especially for Hard/Insane - there are a couple of beat patterns that I'm not sure work perfectly.

The song is complete but I'd appreciate it if someone could check the offset for me. I have some problems with my PC and due to the resource heavy nature of Osu! the songs tend to lag and as such I'm not 100% sure if the beats are spot on.

Let me know what you think and I'll try and correct any problems :)
James
You might want to change the slider tick rate to two, since four doesn't sound good.
Spacing seems fine, and change offset to 20350?
Then do Rolled's 4Rs

Rolled wrote:

Resnap, Recalc, Replay, Resubmit.
I doubt the map will be ranked since there are already two of this uploaded, one unranked and one ranked, and this is the other one.
Topic Starter
[deleted user]

James wrote:

You might want to change the slider tick rate to two, since four doesn't sound good.
Spacing seems fine, and change offset to 20350?
How did you calculate that offset? It seems like the beats hit much sooner (about half a second) than in the actual song. Also, why is the offset so large? It sets the offset to long before the song starts, I don't understand why it has to be that much. Doesn't the point where the beat "hits" start to repeat after only an offset of 500?

I'm also not sure what you mean about the tick rate. The markers tend to run too quickly with a tick rate of two but are you talking about how the ticks fit the beat when you say four "doesn't sound good"?

James wrote:

I doubt the map will be ranked since there are already two of this uploaded, one unranked and one ranked, and this is the other one.
I'm not worried about trying to get it ranked, like I said it's just a first attempt, using it to get some advice. Other than the technical stuff I'm interested in the "interpretation"- i.e. are the beat patterns good? Are the breaks in the right place? Does it get too crazy at the end of Hard/Insane with the 40 beats all in a row (even though they are split into groups of 8)? That sort of thing.

Thanks for your help :)
James

It seems like the beats hit much sooner

Its because you didn't do Rolled's 4Rs?
I played your song with my own offset it seems fine to me.
Your 4 tick rate doesn't fit the music, just listen to the hi-hat(tweeter beats) of the song.

I'm just here to comment on your map, not to argue with you.
If you don't want to change the offset, fine. It IS your map, not mine, I'm just suggesting what I feel good about it.
peppy
Oi calm down james :P.

This is his first map, so give him a bit of slack and try to help him understand what he has done wrong.

@agentkt: once changing your offset, you need to resnap the notes in order to have them moved to the new timing. you may need to manually check them after this.

the offset being very large is just a matter of personal judgement. At the end of the day it can start wherever you choose in the song. Earlier is generally better for certain random reasons which don't need to be mentioned here, but its no big deal.
Topic Starter
[deleted user]

James wrote:

It seems like the beats hit much sooner

Its because you didn't do Rolled's 4Rs?
I played your song with my own offset it seems fine to me.
Your 4 tick rate doesn't fit the music, just listen to the hi-hat(tweeter beats) of the song.
I did do the 4Rs. Like I said, Osu! doesn't run at all well on my PC, I'm trying to determine just how bad the lag is to see if it's worth my time trying to make any more maps if it's that big of a problem.

James wrote:

I'm just here to comment on your map, not to argue with you.
If you don't want to change the offset, fine. It IS your map, not mine, I'm just suggesting what I feel good about it.
I really didn't mean to come off as argumentative. I'm just trying to relay as much information to you as possible so I can determine how bad the offset problem is. And when I said "How did you calculate this!?" I was genuinely inquiring as to the best way to calculate the offset, it wasn't a subtle implication that you were wrong.

peppy wrote:

Oi calm down james :P.

This is his first map, so give him a bit of slack and try to help him understand what he has done wrong.
Thanks. I'm just trying to understand about making beatmaps - some things mentioned seem counter-intuitive (like the large offset thing) but are obviously done for a reason which only the "pros" will know about.

peppy wrote:

@agentkt: once changing your offset, you need to resnap the notes in order to have them moved to the new timing. you may need to manually check them after this.
I did resnap and recalc everything after the changes and I played through to check everything and found I was getting all 50s/100s because the new offset seemed wrong. Obviously James knows better than I would if the offset is right so it goes to show that it's a problem on my end.

Like I said, I'm just trying to understand how beatmaps are created and corrected and how best to do everything. I'm genuinely thankful for any help and when I question the help given to me it's not to be argumentative or to suggest you're wrong - it's just to check how things are done. I'll make the changes and reupload later.

And, if I DO decide to make another map I'll upload it to the Beatmap Help forum first so that people can help me with the offset.

Thanks again :)
Huskatron
i think your map's pretty cool! i was never keen on agent spin's map. (my duck song map isnt perfect) it sounds better if you set the offset to when the beat starts or when the person starts singing.
NoHitter
2 year bump...
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.