forum

osu! power (and other multiplayer power-ups)

posted
Total Posts

Well?

DO NOT WANT
17.24%
DO WANT
82.76%
Total votes: 29
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Loginer
osu! power as a mod. Score Multiplier: 0,90x. You have a thin, green(?) bar at the right of the screen. Every Beat fills 2,5% of it. Every Elite Beat fills 5% of it. When it gets to the top, a SMACKy sound is heard, and the bar starts to flash, which means it can be activated. You activate it by holding down both mouse buttons and shaking the cursor around a bit. Activate it, and you'll hear a SWOOSHy sound, the bar starts to shake and drain, and the music gets slightly amplified. The HP bar recovers 2x faster, and drains 2x slower. You earn two multipliers instead of one per beat. This lasts for 15 seconds. This allows you to get through that insane part of a beatmap that keeps pissing you off. You know you want it. Make peppy add it, and you shall be rewarded with Internets.
Sinistro

Loginer wrote:

You activate it by holding down both mouse buttons and shaking the cursor around a bit.
Although I don't know much about Guitar Hero, the mechanics you describe sound like Star Power ;) As I read on Wikipedia, GH's Star Power is activated in a different way than the controls used for actually playing the game (either tilt the guitar or press a different button). With the activation method as described above, will there be enough time to activate it without missing a beat, especially in difficult parts of a beatmap where it's supposed to be used?

The "shake the cursor around a bit" is what makes things the most difficult, I think, because it implies you need time and space to shake the cursor in, both of which you might not afford in a pinch. Maybe only press both mouse buttons at once to activate? That way, you can activate it even as you're clicking on a beat.

There might also be a problem with balance. Unskilled players will take a lot of time filling up the bar (the fastest way is 20 Elite Beats. If they score Elite Beat-Beat-Elite Beat-Beat etc. it will take them about 26 combos. If they score two Beats for every Elite Beat it will take them a total of 30 combos, not counting misses. If they score all Beats, it will take them 40 combos), and they may have lost until then.

On the other hand, making it so the bar fills faster would make the bonus come up very often for more competent players, and if the multiplier-increase-by-two-per-beat bonus surpassed the point penalty of the 0,9x score multiplier (although perhaps you've calculated it can't happen), a good player could use this mod to get a higher score with no handicaps, unlike Hard Rock, Double Time or Hidden. Maybe it would be more broken in certain beatmaps than others, depending on the length of the combos and where the hard parts are, I don't know.

Of course, Star Power apparently works for Guitar Hero, so the conjecture of the previous two paragraphs may be utterly wrong, but then again, since Osu! is a different, if similar in some ways, game from GH, it may be tricky for a gameplay element of one to be implemented into the gameplay of the other.

I'm not going to vote at this time, but I suspect Internets are out of the question for me... :(
LuigiHann
You know where this would be great, is multiplayer. I don't think it'd make sense as a mod of its own, but it'd be a great competitive element.
Topic Starter
Loginer

Sinistro wrote:

Loginer wrote:

You activate it by holding down both mouse buttons and shaking the cursor around a bit.
Although I don't know much about Guitar Hero, the mechanics you describe sound like Star Power ;) As I read on Wikipedia, GH's Star Power is activated in a different way than the controls used for actually playing the game (either tilt the guitar or press a different button). With the activation method as described above, will there be enough time to activate it without missing a beat, especially in difficult parts of a beatmap where it's supposed to be used?

The "shake the cursor around a bit" is what makes things the most difficult, I think, because it implies you need time and space to shake the cursor in, both of which you might not afford in a pinch. Maybe only press both mouse buttons at once to activate? That way, you can activate it even as you're clicking on a beat.

There might also be a problem with balance. Unskilled players will take a lot of time filling up the bar (the fastest way is 20 Elite Beats. If they score Elite Beat-Beat-Elite Beat-Beat etc. it will take them about 26 combos. If they score two Beats for every Elite Beat it will take them a total of 30 combos, not counting misses. If they score all Beats, it will take them 40 combos), and they may have lost until then.

On the other hand, making it so the bar fills faster would make the bonus come up very often for more competent players, and if the multiplier-increase-by-two-per-beat bonus surpassed the point penalty of the 0,9x score multiplier (although perhaps you've calculated it can't happen), a good player could use this mod to get a higher score with no handicaps, unlike Hard Rock, Double Time or Hidden. Maybe it would be more broken in certain beatmaps than others, depending on the length of the combos and where the hard parts are, I don't know.

Of course, Star Power apparently works for Guitar Hero, so the conjecture of the previous two paragraphs may be utterly wrong, but then again, since Osu! is a different, if similar in some ways, game from GH, it may be tricky for a gameplay element of one to be implemented into the gameplay of the other.

I'm not going to vote at this time, but I suspect Internets are out of the question for me... :(
I(obviously) based this on Star Power, and the shake-mouse-thing was just something quick I came up with. Maybe pressing a button on the keyboard would be easier, although it won't be as much fun to activate. :<
I haven't calculated anything yet, but I guess the double multiplier-part could be removed/weakened to only apply to every fourth beat, and the osu! meter could fill up quicker, say, after 15 Elite Beats/30 Beats. Hmm...

LuigiHann wrote:

You know where this would be great, is multiplayer. I don't think it'd make sense as a mod of its own, but it'd be a great competitive element.
It would make a lot of beatmaps easier without making them insanely easy(*cougheasymodecough*) when playing in single player. :(
Rolled

LuigiHann wrote:

Oh my god, GH3 battle mode pls. Once you fill your Osu power, you do the shakey mouse to "attack" your opponent with different skills.

One that reverses mouse direction.
Up fade/drain speed
activate hidden mode
Hide the cursor? lol buff
that "random" mode that somebody requested (luigi? awp? i forget sorry). Once that's implied, it can do that too.

It'd win so hard. Of course you could disable all these attack things if you'd just want a clean 1v1 multiplayer match.
awp

Rolled wrote:

Up fade/drain speed
activate hidden mode
that "random" mode that somebody requested (luigi? awp? i forget sorry). Once that's implied, it can do that too.

It'd win so hard. Of course you could disable all these attack things if you'd just want a clean 1v1 multiplayer match.
+Cursor move speed 50%
+Jittery cursor (shakes around like someone on a caffiene high?)
+Smaller hitcircles
+Doublecircles (each circle must be clicked twice to activate)
Rolled

awp wrote:

Rolled wrote:

Up fade/drain speed
activate hidden mode

+Cursor move speed 50%
+Jittery cursor (shakes around like someone on a caffiene high?)
+Smaller hitcircles
+Doublecircles (each circle must be clicked twice to activate)
DO FUCKING WANT.
LuigiHann
And MarioKart-style powerups! :)
Topic Starter
Loginer
See? osu! power does have a lot of potential. :]
chan
+Horizontally/vertically inverted mouse movement
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
chan
We should probably wait til multiplayer is implemented too, but minor details :D
MusicFan

chan wrote:

Now that's just cruel. :o
Echo

MusicFan wrote:

chan wrote:

If you turn your mouse 180 degrees, it works like normal :P
chan

MusicFan wrote:

chan wrote:

Hey, that was one of the killer GH3 battle powerups, although this is considerably worse

Echo49 wrote:

If you turn your mouse 180 degrees, it works like normal :P
I meant just vertical or horizontal, not both at once. No mouse rotations for you!
awp

Echo49 wrote:

I think we should rename this topic to "powerups when multiplayering"
you forgot "and also move it to the correct forum a la Feature Requests"

also how about "90 degree mode", where up moves the cursor right, right moves the cursor down, down goes left, and left goes up. That'd fuck with yer head. 'Course, perhaps this would be a SPECIAL special that costs like 3 regular powerups or something. I know it'd really mess me up.

EDIT: Wait, you could probably just rotate your mouse. And it wouldn't affect tablet users at all. Well, bugger.
eyup
Moved to Feature Requests.
peppy

eyup wrote:

Moved to Feature Requests.
Finally.

I MEAN... *hides from thread*
Slain087
Yeah, this would be a nightmare for peppy to program, especially since he's hiding from this topic.

While I'm not really fond of the "shake the mouse" thing, I think it does have some potential to work. Of course, it needs some balancing, and counters (maybe you can pass the effect if the affected player activates their power?) might be nice.

And how about double speed... but for the mouse as one of the attack powerups? If they're not expecting it, they're going to overshoot everything and miss. And for those who are using styli, how about drag? You have to drag the stylus on top of the cursor to get it to move and then tap when the cursor is in the right spot. Probably be hell for fast beatmaps, but then it's the same for the mouse speedup.
LuigiHann
Yeah, I'm not crazy about shake to activate. Maybe it could appear as an icon onscreen, and you have to click it.
show more