forum

Lag after updating... [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PCU_old
The game runs really well before, but it started to lag all the time (from title to playing the song) after I downloaded the newest update (frame skipping).
peppy
Wait what? How high is your cpu usage, and when does the lag occur?
I can't begin to think how this is happening, considering the overall cpu footprint has been reduced by over 50%.
Topic Starter
PCU_old
cpu usage is around 20%, when I run the game it becomes around 90%

It started to lag the moment I run the game (the big circle with OSU! is lagging...) and so on.

But if I run in fullscreen, only the video will lag which had never show up before the update.
peppy
This is probably an issue with vsync. I'll have a look at my options for fixing this, but in the meanwhile can you try forcing vsync on for your graphics drivers?
Sinistro
I have a laptop with 1GB RAM, a 1,8GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 processor and an NVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics card. CPU usage is about 75% when running osu!, 45% when idle. Apart from maybe Firefox, no other programs are running while I use osu! Stutters and slowdown happen occasionally for me for a long time now.

Just now I played "The End of the World as We Know It"-Normal, and if you can watch the replay you can see a lot of slowdown throughout, plus a major stutter at the 55,020 point mark. I get the feeling it would not let up until I released the key, but I let go quickly because I wanted to pass the beatmap so that my replay was saved.

How can I "force vsync" on my graphic driver? Should I upgrade my RAM or do anything else on my end to improve performance?
peppy
I can't see your replay because you aren't on the top 32.

So sinistro tell me this - has it gotten WORSE since the last update? Or simply no improvement? I think you should google to lookup the vsync settings.

Also if you come on IRC I can do some testing with you.
Sinistro
I think it's probably more or less the same, perhaps a bit worse. I haven't played enough after the latest public release to be sure. It doesn't screw my play every time, but at least a tiny stutter occurs once per beatmap, and catastrophic stutters happen often enough for me to take notice.

I'll look into this vsync thing (I is rrl SMRT when it comes to this kind of tech) and, once I have it turned on and used osu! some more I will get back to you, either here or on irc.

On the upside, I read on a bug report a few days back that occasionally spinners would spin really slow even as the player was spinning like mad, as if the mouse was moving in tar. I experienced that bug often too, but after updating to this release, I haven't encountered it so far.
Sinistro
Ok, after forcing vsync on and using osu! some more I think the situation has improved. Gameplay is smoother, stutters happen less often and are not as serious, and spinners still spin well and do not get stuck in tar. Some lag and stuttering do remain, but they're less pronounced.
peppy

Sinistro wrote:

Ok, after forcing vsync on and using osu! some more I think the situation has improved. Gameplay is smoother, stutters happen less often and are not as serious, and spinners still spin well and do not get stuck in tar. Some lag and stuttering do remain, but they're less pronounced.
Also I'm not sure if you tried yet, but there's a new option in the options menu to enable internal sync. This makes osu! behave more like before the last release. It works better on slower machines, but worse on faster ones.