forum

[Archived] Tablet PC Problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ishJJx3
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mink_Car
I think "Force TabletPC Support" in the options menu might solve the problem.

And no, OpenGL vs. DirectX shouldn't change anything.
Topic Starter
ishJJx3

Mink_Car wrote:

I think "Force TabletPC Support" in the options menu might solve the problem.

And no, OpenGL vs. DirectX shouldn't change anything.
This option does not change anything for the TabletPC.

Now, I learned something more about the problem.
I don't have to double-click to click something.
I have to drag the tablet pen at least one pixel across the screen for Osu! to detect that it is being pressed down.
So if I put the pen on the screen, and don't move it, it will act as if nothing happening.
As soon as I move the pen a little bit, the cursor enlarges, meaning it's now detecting the pen.

So what I really need to do is find a way to have Osu! detect the pen once it touches the screen.
I've some a lot of research on this online, and I'm finding out that some people have the same problem, not just in Osu! but other games as well (going through the menu)

Maybe there's an incompatibility problem with Windows XP TabletPC Edition or something?

I heard about one person who had their problems resolved after upgrading to Windows 7. Unfortunately, I cannot do that, because this TabletPC only has 512MB of RAM. I would have to buy RAM for this specific design, and I don't know if I'm ready to go through all of that trouble only for Osu! . . maybe.

But I want to hear some more helpful opinions first! There's definitely a way around this.
budperson
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Based on the information you've supplied, it sounds like this is a bug related to your drivers, since it apparently occurs OS-wide, and more than just you are having it. I imagine a workaround could be hacked together, such as creating a script that monitors your mouse, and sends a LMB signal to the osu! client every time it detects movement - though that would be a double-edged sword. You could also default to using z/x, though I understand that entirely defeats the purpose of having a tablet PC =\
Topic Starter
ishJJx3
I'm giving up. I've decided to not use the TabletPC at all.

Once I started using the mouse buttons on the attachable keyboard as an alternative, and timing both of my hands, I realized something more:
The cursor in Osu! is not synced with my pen that well.
The cursor trails behind my pen a little bit as I move it across Osu! very fast.
I'm playing at a solid 60FPS (Vsync)
This doesn't happen for anything else.
I think that's where I draw the line ._.

I'll be buying a normal tablet sometime in the future, and hopefully things will be smoother.
In the meantime, I'll be practicing my skills with a mouse :3

-JJ
anonymous_old

ishJJx3 wrote:

The cursor trails behind my pen a little bit as I move it across Osu! very fast.
I'm playing at a solid 60FPS (Vsync)
This doesn't happen for anything else.
This happens to me with the mouse with v-sync. Try turning on the 120 Hz limiter or disabling the limiter ("unlimited").
Topic Starter
ishJJx3
anonymous_old

ishJJx3 wrote:

This means that the cursor delay is not a framerate issue.
But it could be a frame buffering issue, as in my case.
[deleted user]

ishJJx3 wrote:

I have to double-click to click any button.
I am on a TC1100 as well. I am running the extended 1.2 processor, and a total of 2Gbs of RAM. I am however on Windows 7 Ultimate, having just upgraded from XP Tablet Edition. This game did not function properly on either OS, and I am still waiting for SOMEONE to recognize that there is a problem here. =(

ishJJx3 wrote:

Maybe there's an incompatibility problem with Windows XP TabletPC Edition or something?
Assuredly, it's not ust Windows XP Tablet Edition, as I have verified it is both OS's.

On a side note, I have noticed that the way the TC1100 handles it's sensitivity, is unusual for the tablet genre, which adds to it's uniqueness. Perhaps this strangeness is part of our problem. =/

ishJJx3 wrote:

I heard that somebody had an issue similar to this with a Wacom Bamboo Tablet, and his problem was solved by turning his driver options from "pen mode" to "mouse mode".
Apparently, my TabletPC does not have such an option.
We do not have the option, because we ARE considered to be in 'mouse mode'. The way our tablet was designed, (ie-No battery and all that fun jazz), it was designed as a workforce machine and was assumed people would often not have 'time' for a mouse. So the tablet itself is in a sense, the mouse as well. Hope that even slightly helps.

ishJJx3 wrote:

Considering the fact that Osu! was designed to be compatible with TabletPCs, I will not call it quits. I'm sure there's a solution.
Although I am sure there is a solution, I am yet to find it. I've been forced to again uninstall this program until compatibility changes are made.
Hillbilly_Boozer
I too am attempting to run osu! on a TC1100. I've spent the night trying a multitude of different things, none of which worked... The only work around I've found is setting the 'Left Click' key binding under 'Input' as the Tab key. That way, all you have to do is hover over the area you need to click and press the Tab button at the top of the tablet. Pressing it makes a nice 'Click' sound just like in game. It takes get some getting used to, but after that it's not too bad. You'll still have to navigate the song menu via the pen (or jog dial) and 'sliding to click' things. Pressing the Tab button can also be slightly strange due to it's placement on the tablet. If you're left handed then it might be easier for you. Hopefully they get this worked out. It must be something in the coding of the program because other games I play on this thing (Zuma, World of Goo, Crayon Physics, Plants vs. Zombies) don't have this sliding click issue. There are other games I've tried that have the same issue though. Maybe it has something to do with MS Inking feature in game. I don't know... Would be nice to use just the pen though. At least setting the game up this way makes somewhat playable. I'm still new to osu! so I'm not sure how well this will work on harder levels/settings. Best of luck.

Edit: It seems, at least on my side, that if your computer is setup to use the actual Tab key, it lags when holding it down for an extended period (slider ball). I changed the function of my tab key to be 'X' and changed the key binding in osu! to 'X'. Works fine now. Huh...
Corin
Okay guys, i know im bumping, but i found the fix :3

Basicly just go to (going by xp as thats what these tablets run) Control Panel, Tablet and Pen Settings.
On the new window for Tablet and Pen Settings, go to the Pen Options tab, click on double tap, then settings.
Now jack the speed up to fast and leave the tollerence alone, then click ok.
Go to press and hold, Settings and clear the check box for "Enable Press and Hold for Right Click" otherwise sliders are imposible and click ok.
Leave Point and hover alone and go to Start Input Panel Guesture, settings, Clear the checkbox and click ok.

Job Done.
So far i have managed to wear down the tip and break my pen in half with this tablet stylus, lets see how much fun you can have with it :3

Corin~