forum

Error in startup!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DexterMorgan_old
Just so you know, osu! was running perfectly before this big update. Here's the error I get everytime I try to play it:
An error has occurred.

System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Make sure "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Resources.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "osu" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString(String name, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Resources.get_Direct3DCreateError()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation newInfo)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ApplyChanges()
at osu.GameBase.SetScreenSize(Int32 width, Int32 height)
at osu.GameBase.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at osu.Program.Main()
peppy
Can you try deleting osu.dll and bass.net and then run the updater again?

It seems you have a missing or corrupt dll.
Topic Starter
DexterMorgan_old
Ok, I deleted osu.dll and bass.dll, ran the updater again, and still got the same problem.
So I created a new folder with only the osume.exe file. I ran it, got all the files and I finally could get the game to start. So I got all my songs back, and then I tried to switch to fullscreen and BOOM! same error again.
So, somehow this error is related to fullscreen mode.
peppy
Very interesting error... I'll have a look into it tonight and get back to you, but for now I guess avoid fullscreen mode ^^;.

Out of interest - do you have any version of XNA installed on your PC?
vcj
I'm also getting that particular error, also!
peppy

peppy wrote:

Out of interest - do you have any version of XNA installed on your PC?
vcj
Ah, sorry...

I don't believe that I do and I'm not sure how to check if I do.

EDIT: I just checked and I don't have XNA, so that shouldn't be a problem.
peppy
Hmm, and this definitely only happens in fullscreen mode hey?

If either of you get a chance come visit on IRC and we can do some testing on this. I can't personally replicate it, nor any other testers.

Thanks
vcj
Actually, I've never been able to even start osu! on my computer, ever, (I just downloaded it two days ago) so unless osu! defaults to fullscreen mode, I have a different problem.

If that is true, then I have a clue as to what the problem is: my computer has a widescreen monitor and therefore runs on a widescreen resolution. Perhaps my driver for widescreen resolutions has something to do with it?
peppy
vcj - can you make sure your error is *exactly* the same as the one above? There seem to be a few slight variants going around. Also can you take a screenshot of your osu! directory so I can see which files you have?

thanks
vcj
I just found out that my problem is something different and I have already fixed it. Sorry to have led you down the wrong path.
peppy
Can you explain how you fixed it? :)
vcj
I "fixed" it when I realized it was a DirectX Error...
Topic Starter
DexterMorgan_old
Okay, I'm back again but I think I might have some helpful information about this problem.
Today, after a looong time, I did an update on Osu! (AMAZING update, btw) and got the same error when I tried to activate fullscreen. Well, not really the same, since now the message is different, telling me that I don't have a pixer 1.1 shader (which I do, since I have a Geforce 4 ti4200).

Anyway, something struck on my mind and I decided to test it. I have Refresh Force here (can't live without it!) and I decided to deactivate it, and then went on to test Osu! on fullscreen mode, and to my surprise it worked! No errors this time around.
And then, I activaded it again and the error message is back.

So, I believe it's related to the refresh rate, maybe the game is crashing since it tries to switch to a particular refresh rate, and my refresh force doesn't let it.

Oh, yeah, by the way, sorry for the lack of my response! I got some busy weeks ahead around that time and forgot to check this thread. Also, I dunno if I have any version of XNA installed here. How can I check that?
RemmyX25
Or just do what Peppy told me when my FullScreen Mode acted up---

Go to the FAQ and download the ffdshow codex. Stay with the default values (unless you know what you're doing) and you should be good to go!

Topic Starter
DexterMorgan_old
Did you had the same problem as mine?
I'm not sure about installing this codec, so I think I'd rather wait for an answer from peppy before doing this. Also, I really can't see why this coded would help me.