forum

@fox - ram usage [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
04:50 < Fox-osu> Why does osu! take up 248,000 kb of my RAM?
04:50 < Fox-osu> No wonder it causes my PC to freeze all the time.

Can you explain how it causes your PC to freeze?

Also, I don't see a problem with RAM usage. Unless you are on a P3 with 256mb of ram, which I very much doubt.
You'll find most apps and games these days use a minimum of 200mb after started and running for a while - this does not cause freezing unless you are very low on RAM and they begin paging to disk (in which case, i seriously suggest that you buy some more - its dirt cheap... *pokes at 8gb ram in pc*)
Fox
I'm really not sure how it comes to happen. Sometimes, I have my Navigator-browser open, up to 40 Tabs, and that thing then takes up to 350k. My record was 380k. And my PC worked (almost) fine.

As for osu!, my PC sometimes freezes when I'm in editor ( - that meaning that it never froze on me when I was playing or anything). It won't react at all then and I have to restart. Not sure how much RAM it then takes.
I find myself having a similar problem with GTA SA, that game NEVER crashed on me and caused my PC to froze. Nowadays, I can barely play five minutes without it freezing.

Right now I'm in the song-list of osu, and it takes about 195k. I guess that's alright.
awp

peppy wrote:

(in which case, i seriously suggest that you buy some more - its dirt cheap... *pokes at 8gb ram in pc*)
not if your archaic machine is stuck on DDR SDRAM and not DDR2. I've seen 2GB of DDR2 go for 40 bux. Yeah? Dirt cheap. DDR? 160 bux (2x 1GB). It's fucking ridiculous.