forum

Osu Updater without "start in" dir [#148] [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Explorer09
After I installed osu!, the shortcut file to osu! Updater does not have a "Start in" directory. And without that, the updater did not find my osu! installation path and eventually put updated files in my %userprofile% folder.

Operating system: Windows XP SP3 Professional

Screenshots:

I installed osu! in "I:\Program Files\osu!"

I run the updater through the start menu shortcut, and it checks the file within "f:\document and settings\my-user-folder\"

This screenshot is my additional testing, I ran the following commands and the bug happened:
(It read and wrote the files in "osutemp" folder)
f:\
cd \osutemp
"I:\Program Files\osu!\osume.exe"

anonymous_old
I've seen this happen to several people (but not yet to myself), where the shortcuts have the wrong start-in directory.

It seems to be a bug with the installer. I've made a ticket, though I can't isolate a cause or reproduce: http://osu.sifterapp.com/projects/4151/ ... 8/comments
Topic Starter
Explorer09
Can you try running the installer in a different language encoding? I guess it might reproduce the bug.
("Control Panel" -> "Regional and Language Options" -> "Advanced" -> adjust the dropdown box -> reboot)
peppy
Is this using the latest installer? There was a problem with older installers, but I don't think it should happen with the latest (since 2009/12 at least).
Topic Starter
Explorer09
I'm sure I'm using the latest. I've re-downloaded the installer and re-installed right before I made this thread.

EDIT: I have an alternate method to fix this bug. Since this bug only affects the updater, why not add a code to force the updater to read and write in where the exe file is.

Such as this in VB.NET:
My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory() = My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath()
peppy
I was pretty sure this was already being done, but it seems to only apply to the osu! codebase (not updater). Will be fixed in next public release.